RIP Sabres Ugly 3rd

Griff

BZsgKeRIEAAZEgz.jpg

The real question is, how many of these awful things are left, and can they be made into dark blue Edge namebars, and which other jerseys would those namebars match?

Somehow I do not see this one becoming a Wild Wing or Burger King.

Edited by DiscoStu

The best part of this jersey is the following quote....

It was Black, of course, who unintentionally christened the gold sweaters when he responded to the immediate backlash prior to last season by saying, "If it's a turd burger I'll have to put it on a bun and eat it."

I wonder how many the Baron would have sold if he had taken a punt on an order? How many sick and twisted individuals would have bitten just to own a piece of hockey jersey infamy, and how much would they be worth in ten years time? Hard to say. While a Wild Wing or Burger King replica will cost you more than a brand new 2.0 these days, a Mooterus will only set you back loose change.

And if that Blues alternate from the mid nineties had ever hit the market...?

I don't think these will become as sought after as the 90 third jerseys. The thing about the 90's jerseys that have become sought after is that they all had unique crests that were only used for a short period of time.

I assume Indo Edges were the only "authentic" versions made. If we don't see a ton of Indo Edge's liquidated on eBay, those might become extremely rare since I'd imagine that they sold very few of them. But that'd probably just be hardcore Sabres fans buying them to complete their collections. I can't see replicas going up to 200-500 like we see with some of the short term 90's third jerseys.

I was looking forward to seeing McDavid in one of these monstrosities. I like the yellow, and from the front, the jerseys aren't that bad. The font on the back is kind of interesting. The main issue is that it's almost like they couldn't choose between two different designs, one navy, one banana, so they chose to combine the two by making the jersey a different colour on the front and the back. I'm very surprised that nobody realized how bad these would look on TV. The players look like they belong to different teams depending on whether or not they are turned around at the time.

I don't really hate that one. Its nothing great, but its far from the horror show of the Wild Wing/Burger King level.

Of course, I also liked the Mooterus.

I don't really hate that one. Its nothing great, but its far from the horror show of the Wild Wing/Burger King level.

Of course, I also liked the Mooterus.

Oh, the Mooterus was bad...

I've never actually considered the Mooterus to be as bad as common opinion seems to. Okay, it's bad, but it's not in the same league as the recent Isles and current Lightning thirds.

Agreed. Mooterus and the gray Oilers third were both unconventional thirds but not horror shows. The sabres third and current Islanders thirds are hot garbage. Also, no love lost for either SENS or BOLTS jerseys.

To me, thirds should take a chance and can be different than teams home/ road designs but, still maintain some connection to the teams brand and identity. Also, alternate jerseys shouldn't just be a black version of regular versions ( flyers, Blackhawks)

Rangers Liberty and buffalo and Calgary script thirds were done well. Blues, wild, and Blue jackets thirds are all well executed. Lightning storm jerseys were right intention but poor execution.

I'll admit that part of the reason I like the Mooterus is because the name Mooterus makes me laugh.

I actually really like the Oilers 3rd.

Yeh I think it was never considered in the ball park of the Mooterus. The Oilers only stopped using the navy & grey 3rd because of the switch to the Edge when no one had a 3rd jersey for the first season.

The Mooterus was only worn the minimum 2 seasons, which is the shortest amount of time a team can have a jersey style before dropping it.

I actually really like the Oilers 3rd.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with that one, I don't get the hatred for it.

Do people actually dislike the Oiler's McFarlane third? I thought it was a great jersey, and would have been a worthy rebrand if it wasn't for the fact that a team with a legacy like the Oilers should never rebrand their main logo.

I personally loved the Oilers McFarlane oil drop, but I know purists who didn't like it. My previous post was just saying that since the team kept it around as long as they could (until the Edge switch) they didn't seem to mind it either.

Whereas designs like the Mooterus and Fisherman that are more universally panned usually get changed as soon as the team can (after two seasons).

When did the two year rule come? As we all know, the Burger King and Wild Wing were only around for one season. I can't come up with other jerseys that were only around for a season, but those two came up quickly to my mind.

When did the two year rule come? As we all know, the Burger King and Wild Wing were only around for one season. I can't come up with other jerseys that were only around for a season, but those two came up quickly to my mind.

They must have made an exception based on how monumentally ugly they were.