RIP Sabres Ugly 3rd

Griff

The Rangers wore the white liberty jersey for one season, but I'm not sure that really counts as they wore the navy liberty jersey for many years before and after that. Depends on how the league views it.

I liked the old Oilers third. But this is representative of the entire organization's desire to cling to the past... Edmonton just hasn't let go of the glory years.

I disagree. Save for a whole sale overhaul of their brand, it's hard to improve on the jerseys Edy wore during the cup years. And as interesting as the McFarlane alternate was (I personally dug it), it was still fundamentally rooted in the past.

As for the larger Turd Burger versus other disliked jerseys discussion: most sweaters that have surprising staying power feature basic tenets with lasting appeal. Those awful first-wave 90's alts mostly had a coherent vision. While we might look at the Wild Wing jersey and say, "what were they thinking?", it at least involved a complete thought. A complete thought that included an unreadable font and an in-action cartoon character, but a complete thought nonetheless. The Mooterus' curved hem and sleeve stripes complement the overall constellation design. Mooterus hate was never about bad design so much as it was about an unfortunate coincidence.

These Buffalo jerseys are a disjointed mess. That description goes beyond the contrasting front and back panels. The gray numbers and sleeves are totally unnecessary, don't read well on the blue background, and don't complement the white accents. Those accents lack any purpose. It's lazy design work. It's like a stoned high schooler found an online jersey builder, got distracted, and went to the kitchen hoping Mom bought Gushers this week. I appreciate that designers have clients to please, but it's just not very good.

Good post LongDistanceHeart. I agree that Turd burger jerseys suck because of their unorganized design. Hell, even the rollout was a mess - Steve Ott via Twitter ugh.

But more importantly what flavor gushers are we talking about? Did mom bring them or did she cheap out and get pecan sandies?

Regarding the two year rule, my understanding is that it initially only applied to primary (home/away) jerseys. Since the Isles Fisherman style was a primary jersey, it applied to them. Burger King, Wild Wing, white Liberty, were all alternate jerseys so the rule didn't seem apply to them then. At some point in the 2000s it seems the two year rule was applied to alternate jerseys as well, that's when I first saw references it in regards to alternate jerseys that weren't well received.

Once again, this is all anecdotal from things I've read. Maybe someone else has some direct info on what the official rules are for changing jersey styles are.

• 3 months later...

I like it, but it's unique and if I find one in 54 or 56 I'd pull the trigger.