eBay dilemma...am I being unreasonable?

Curry1fan

This is my first foray here in quite some time, so please feel free to move if I'm in the wrong forum.

I am selling a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins game worn jersey on eBay that has two patches, an alternate captain A and a memorial patch for a player who passed away prior to the season the jersey was worn. The player whose jersey I own, Tim Brent, played here for one season and was still a key member of the team that went to the Calder Cup Finals that year. I'm on my third listing attempt of the jersey and currently have it at $200 start with a Buy it Now of $300. There are currently three watchers.

This morning, I got a message from someone who asked to buy the jersey for $100. I told him no, as I feel that's too low for a game worn jersey. He wrote back and said when the player only plays one season with at team and then doesn't have much of a career otherwise, that my asking prices are too high. I told him thank you but explained the price will stay as is and I won't sell the jersey for that low. He wrote back *again* and now wants to pay $125. Even during MeiGray sales, I have never gotten a gamer that low and certainly don't expect to. I have not written back to him yet, but am considering telling him that he either needs to be willing to pay the price listed or move along.

Am I being unreasonable here by not wanting to give away a game worn jersey for so little? Is it fair that I'd rather deal with a buyer who at least wants to pay in my $200 minimum ballpark? I know some people may not see the value in AHL gamers, but I know in WBS at least, fans tend to go ballistic for certain players and rack up jerseys to $600, $700, even $800 or higher. This is not a specialty jersey; this is our road jersey from that season. Part of me, though, is starting to think this buyer feels entitled to a game worn jersey and thinks he is right and I am wrong in trying to sell my jerseys for a fair price. The way I see it, game worns regardless of player and team aren't cheap. WBS itself opens jersey auctions at $250 when we have them.

What's the correct thing to do here? My eBay feedback is perfect and I don't want to get into a back and forth with someone who wants to lowball me.

No, you're not being unreasonable. It's your jersey and you put a price on it that you feel is fair. Keep it up there until it sells. Don't let someone try to pressure you into selling for less than what you feel is fair. I have a friend who is a good ebay seller who has been selling off some of my collection, and when we price stuff it's fair, and so far just about everything has sold. If he gets buyers who are PIA's, he blocks them and doesn't have to worry about them anymore. And his rating is 100%. Just be patient and hopefully someone will want to own your jersey for a fair price. And if someone tries to lowball you, then they most likely aren't a serious buyer.

You're not being unreasonable at all. Unfortunately, the majority of buyers are looking to get things for absolute steals, and won't pay fair prices on most things. They try to use stupid logic and make you think you're being unreasonable.

The simple thing to do is tell them that they're not being realistic about the price, and you're not going to sell it for such a low price. If they aren't willing to pay more, they can move on, but you're not going to be taken for such a low price.

I don't deal with idiots like that on eBay. I basically tell them off.

eBay is filled with buyers of his type. Had a guy once offer to do a payment plan on a jersey with me which I quickly refused. I just put buyers like these on block and move on as they are not even worth the 30 seconds or so it takes to respond to them.

I think that sometimes too. They are the same type of people who will email you asking "what is the lowest you will take for xxxx item?"

Is it me or do some people deliberately low bid as form of trolling? I get the deal-seaking part of this hobby but that offer is just plain ridiculous (as are comparable offers that I've received at times).

My favorite is this guy I've been dealing with recently... Nags me about my jerseys, doesn't make offers, just asks "what's the lowest you can do?" I give him a price, and he then asks about a package deal of different jerseys, we go back and forth, and finally he comes back to the first jersey and is like "is that really the lowest you can do?"

Then, to top it off, and I absolutely love this... he tells me to "Trust him, if I give him a better deal, he'll buy lots more from me in the future. He's a big collector and buys lots of jerseys."

Oh, sure mister, let me lower my prices even more below fair market value just on the promise that you'll "buy more from me later."

Get real.

I sadly feel that these things are only worth what someone is willing to make their highest bid. It could be $175, which seems cheap, but who really knows. Recently I have sold my jerseys through 7 day auctions at $0.99 to start without reserves. Let me tell you, the market for memorabilia is really crappy right now...and it has been for a while. It is absolutely a buyers market. I find it funny when I see the same jerseys on ebay for months or even years at $350 obo when they never even get an offer. The majority of people just do not seem willing to pay. I listed some no name Kings game issues and got fair market value. I listed a Flames retro 2.0 Ivanans and it ended for $125 with only a couple people bidding. I guess it depends on the team? Even though in my eyes a Flames retro 2.0 is really rare.

Here's another example. I had a 58 Pominville Wild jersey, the current green style, that I wanted to get rid of. It ended for $84 and now the buyer has been trying to sell it for $150 or something. It's been up for a month. So it's clear to me that nobody besides that guy was willing to pay more than $83. In my head I was thinking it was a $200+ jersey. Team issued 2.0, done by the team customizer, pretty decent player etc. Nope...I was way wrong.

IMO, $300 is fair, as is $200.Odds are the person offering $100 would relist it for $400 the day after it arrives.

There is no logic on ebay, its a matter of finding that right person. I've been unloading some signed 8x10s, and after 6 listings as an auction for $7.50, I changed them to Fixed Price 30-day listings at $15 and a couple sold. Despite the fact they could have gotten them for half-price multiple times!

Prices are WAY down. Nothing I've been selling has sold for what I expected lately.

That being said, lowball offers are part of the cost of doing business. Its easy enough to ignore them, don't let them get you riled up. Problem is, some sellers are desperate and just want to get rid of things, so sometimes lowball bids work. I can think of two instances recently where I submitted offers significantly below asking price ($50 on a $129.99 jersey, and $100 on a $199.99 jersey), both were accepted.

Of course, I don't just e-mail people and ask them to take a lowball price. If they open their eBay item to Best Offers, then I offer whatever I want. If they know how to utilize eBay tools, my lowball offer will be rejected automatically and they'll never even see it.

If its not rejected automatically, then they left the door open and I'll try to get it for as little as possible. Its all part of the game at that point.

It should NOT, however, be part of the game if the seller did not open it up to offers. Unless its here in the forums, where I feel like prices are always assumed to be somewhat negotiable.

Well said all the way around. I'll be surprised if what I have up there sells.

Hey Kurt, was the Ivanans from the Meigray expo last summer? If so, that was my grabbag jersey.

Haha I bet it was! I didn't have paperwork with it though and I got it from a guy I deal with often. Can't be too many Ivanans retro flames out there. It was a sick shirt but ended up being a massive size 58+.

The low cdn dollar is killing the market right now especially on high end stuff. $200usd turns into $250cdn and goes higher the more the jersey costs. Screw that.

Thanks guys. I ended up telling the buyer that $200 was the minimum price. He responded back and laughed (well, in Internet speak it was "Ha") and then he said he'll wait for the price drop and that no one will pay this much. Kinda funny...I have four watchers now, so guess someone is willing to?

Anyway, I blocked the guy and didn't even answer his last message. Never have to deal with him again.

Children. Too many childish entitled idiots on eBay. They lowball you, then act like you're a jerk when you don't give them something for nothing.

If i had any interest i would buy it for $250 just to stick it to that guy LOL, no reason he needs to be such a freakin jerk

Seriously. Its one thing to ask about a lower price, but insulting someone won't get you anywhere. I'd block that bonehead, and be patient until someone with 200$ comes along.

Watchers do not equal buyers by any means. I had something like 20 watchers on a jersey lately and it sold with one bid, and not by one of the watchers.

As mentioned, stick to your guns. I had similar stuff happen on a few jerseys I sold, like my Ice Gators and a GW Aeros jersey. People made offers, I decline, then get told "that player sucked, nobody will pay what you are asking!" Waited it out and stuff got bids. You'll get your buyer, just gotta be patient and tell the idiots to kick rocks

I've currently got 42 bidders blocked for pretty much the same reason, harassing me with lowball offers after I politely told them I wasn't interested.

I just don't get why people get so nasty if you nicely tell them you aren't interested in their offer. First, if I wanted offers, I'd make use of the "Make an Offer" feature. Secondly if I do end up dropping the price, I'd still rather sell it to someone other than the guy who insulted me for not taking his offer.

With eBay already making sellers powerless, why would I want to deal with a buyer that is already shown a propensity to be rude and ignorant?

Edited by akteon

I had a local buyer who wanted to return to Jersey to me threaten to come to my house to deliver it in person and beat the s*** out of me.

After everything was ironed out, he said to me "let me know if you have any other jerseys for sale."

And just recently, I had a winning buyer make a false claim that they were visible stains on a Jersey of mine and told me to refund them 50%. I told him the most I could take off would be $10, and they got extremely offended and sarcastic with their comments. I immediately filed a claim with eBay, but I don't think they're going to do anything about it. He returned it and I gave him a full refund and blocked him.

Edited by thebiggoalie

I've currently got 42 bidders blocked for pretty much the same reason, harassing me with lowball offers after I politely told them I wasn't interested.

I just don't get why people get so nasty if you nicely tell them you aren't interested in their offer. First, if I wanted offers, I'd make use of the "Make an Offer" feature. Secondly if I do end up dropping the price, I'd still rather sell it to someone other than the guy who insulted me for not taking his offer.

With eBay already making sellers powerless, why would I want to deal with a buyer that is already shown a propensity to be rude and ignorant?

As I said above, I never ask for a better deal unless the seller opened himself up to it with a Best Offer feature. But I don't think making an offer or asking for a better price in itself is too offensive. Being a complete lowballer (offering $50 for a $300 jersey) or insulting the seller after he turns you down just makes no sense.

I remember recently having listed a jersey, only to have a guy message me and tell me all the minute ways that the customization was incorrect. No offer, just a "lesson". I thanked him and told him I knew what I had, and that it was priced accordingly, which it was. He then messaged back and offered me about a third of what I asked, which I had already reduced because of the customization issues. I declined, and he said I was stupid and had no idea what I was doing and that he didn't want to buy it anyway.

So, naturally, me being me, I messaged him back and "offered' it to him for a couple dollars more than what he offered. Suddenly, he wanted to buy it again. I then informed him I was messing with him, that I wouldn't sell it to him, and I never heard from him again.

I had a local buyer who wanted to return to Jersey to me threaten to come to my house to deliver it in person and beat the s*** out of me.

After everything was ironed out, he said to me "let me know if you have any other jerseys for sale."

I had a guy do that once years ago. I told him if he wanted to do that, he could come by and if he won the fight, he could have the item for free. Never heard from THAT guy again either.

That was when I was a kid, I don't do stuff like that anymore.

I once got a nasty message from a buyer full of racial slurs who accused me of sending him a defective item when I knew he was full of it (later found out he did the exact same thing to other buyers right before and after me).

What's great is that the racial slurs were far a particular ethnic background that I am 0% apart of. Guy was nuts.

I once got a nasty message from a buyer full of racial slurs who accused me of sending him a defective item when I knew he was full of it (later found out he did the exact same thing to other buyers right before and after me).

What's great is that the racial slurs were far a particular ethnic background that I am 0% apart of. Guy was nuts.

Did he happen to be selling a green Flyers Jofa practice jersey?

Did he happen to be selling a green Flyers Jofa practice jersey?

That's only if it's grammatically incorrect to the point that a first-grader wrote it.