MeiGray Group Expo 2015 - July 18, 2015

mfitz804

Was looking on their site and noticed the Expo date had been announced.

I have never been to one of their Expos. I am thinking of going but can't decide if I want to. I don't typically buy gamers (although I could make exceptions at times), so I am not sure if there is any purpose to me going other than to hang out and stare at other people's shirts. Which I am not opposed to.

Anyone able to chime in on what the experience is like?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going this year and this will be my 4th time going (if I remember right, it's either 4th or 5th but I am pretty sure my 4th). It is 100% gamers and if you are into that it is fun. It is held at the conference center at RVCC in Branchburg so while it is a decent sized room, don't expect a huge thing. Meigray will have a couple of displays, usually the HHOF sends something (last year their exhibit focused on Gretzky and his shirts) and of course there are collectors tables and some dealer tables. Last year there was only 1 dealer table IIRC. Sometimes Steiner is there but who knows. Lately they have held raffles for stuff throughout the day and they usually do their live grab bag during the show for people who are there and got one. There is also a speaker there and this year it is Mike Bossy. Last year it was Berube and that was pretty interesting. After the show is the Meigray warehouse sale which is a couple miles away at their warehouse. It's basically the only day of the year where it is open to the public and you can go in there and browse and take advantage of the sale before it starts online. That alone is pretty interesting in itself.

In past years included in your admission was a free team-issued 2.0, 1.0 or 6100 blank jersey (you cannot choose though). Usually the teams I see are Colorado, Dallas, Toronto, Philly, and Nashville. I have gotten in past years Sens, Tampa, Dallas, Nashville and Edmonton. However, this year it looks like they are not giving out these jerseys but instead you get a free autograph from Mike Bossy. I am under the impression this is due to Meigray not possibly having enough blanks laying around to give away for the expo.

I am going this year and this will be my 4th time going (if I remember right, it's either 4th or 5th but I am pretty sure my 4th). It is 100% gamers and if you are into that it is fun. It is held at the conference center at RVCC in Branchburg so while it is a decent sized room, don't expect a huge thing. Meigray will have a couple of displays, usually the HHOF sends something (last year their exhibit focused on Gretzky and his shirts) and of course there are collectors tables and some dealer tables. Last year there was only 1 dealer table IIRC. Sometimes Steiner is there but who knows. Lately they have held raffles for stuff throughout the day and they usually do their live grab bag during the show for people who are there and got one. There is also a speaker there and this year it is Mike Bossy. Last year it was Berube and that was pretty interesting. After the show is the Meigray warehouse sale which is a couple miles away at their warehouse. It's basically the only day of the year where it is open to the public and you can go in there and browse and take advantage of the sale before it starts online. That alone is pretty interesting in itself.

In past years included in your admission was a free team-issued 2.0, 1.0 or 6100 blank jersey (you cannot choose though). Usually the teams I see are Colorado, Dallas, Toronto, Philly, and Nashville. I have gotten in past years Sens, Tampa, Dallas, Nashville and Edmonton. However, this year it looks like they are not giving out these jerseys but instead you get a free autograph from Mike Bossy. I am under the impression this is due to Meigray not possibly having enough blanks laying around to give away for the expo.

I was definitely hoping to get a jersey like last year's ad said...I don't really need a Mike Bossy autograph.

I usually buy game issued stuff from them, I guess if they don't have them at the Expo they would still have them at the sale afterwards, no?

Maybe I'll just go to go, look around, etc. Anyone else planning on going?

Edited by mfitz804

Guest Dr_Puck

I had a really good time at my first expo last year.

The one thing that struck me was how much trading happened among attendees. By the sound of it, they won't have the blank team-issued jerseys, which is a shame. I started my day with an Islanders blank and ended up trading my expo jersey four or five times. The same thing happens with the grab bag as a lot of swapping happens with people who don't like what they get.

And a few people (non vendors) brought jerseys to trade while there. (Speaking of which, if that guy who had the blue Danbury Whalers jersey is on the forum, please PM me!)

You get a chance to see how people go about collecting and the various interests that they have. Getting a chance to walk around the warehouse is pretty cool too. If I'm not mistaken, Meigray sold a bunch of clearance jerseys in the warehouse that weren't posted yet to their website. I grabbed a sweet game-issued Bs jersey for a nice price then.

I hope you attend, you'll have fun.

I'll have a table there. Isn't that in itself reason enough to go? I mean, not to brag, but I AM pretty great.

F it, I'm in.

I'll have a table there. Isn't that in itself reason enough to go? I mean, not to brag, but I AM pretty great.

Can we try on your jerseys without asking? :P

They won't have the team-issued blanks for sale at the warehouse. They never do and they always have a sign saying not for sale. Every year I go by the rack where they have at least 200-300 Devils team-stock blanks and those are always explicitly labeled as not for sale.

They do have game-issued jerseys (non-blanks) for sale at the warehouse sale. Those were I believe 25% their list price last year and I expect the same.

This year I plan to focus less on the warehouse sale and focus more on the actual expo. Usually the line for the summer sale starts at about 1-2PM so this year I probably will make my way over when the expo ends around 4PM.

I was definitely hoping to get a jersey like last year's ad said...I don't really need a Mike Bossy autograph.

I usually buy game issued stuff from them, I guess if they don't have them at the Expo they would still have them at the sale afterwards, no?

Maybe I'll just go to go, look around, etc. Anyone else planning on going?

Guest Dr_Puck

Will someone please regale us with that story again? I was at a nearby table when this alleged incident (was it with a team USA or a Rangers jersey?) occurred. It might be a good refresher in etiquette for the noobs.

Can we try on your jerseys without asking? :P

I live in Calgary but I'll be in Southeastern Ontario around that time, so I can't decide if I should just make the 6 hour drive solo, or if I should try to turn it into a weekend in New York for my wife and I. Of course if I sell her on the idea of a weekend in New York and then I drag her to a warehouse to buy some jerseys, there's a good chance she'll light me on fire in my sleep later that night........

I live in Calgary but I'll be in Southeastern Ontario around that time, so I can't decide if I should just make the 6 hour drive solo, or if I should try to turn it into a weekend in New York for my wife and I. Of course if I sell her on the idea of a weekend in New York and then I drag her to a warehouse to buy some jerseys, there's a good chance she'll light me on fire in my sleep later that night........

Meanwhile, I KNOW she has dragged you to a shoe store or some nonsense a hundred times and you didn't light her on fire...

Sale will be the same as last year I can imagine. Last year's summer sale followed the same guidelines as the preceding winter/holiday sale. This year's holiday/winter sale was the same but just the eligible years changed naturally.

Looks like the expo live grab bag will be announced very soon. The link is up on Meigray's website but it goes nowhere.

I'm hoping for an online grab bag, I've always wanted an Islanders TC jersey or a nice practice jersey ;)

Just got the e-mail, links are active now.

I'm not enough of a collector to pay $195 for a random jersey that I would likely immediately try to re-sell.

The way I judge the grab bags are by the loser bags and the odds of getting them. Here are the loser bags:

The remaining 40 (out of 50) or 80 (Out of 100) Grab Bags will include an NHL game-worn Preseason or Training Camp jersey valued at $225-$295.

That's an 80% odds you will end up with a pre-season or training camp jersey. I think Meigray is being a little lofty on those values too so at best I would break even or take a hit. The winning jerseys are pretty good this year (much better than last year), but I don't want to spend $200 towards something I have an 80% being disappointed in. I will pass on this one and put that $200 towards their warehouse sale.

Their last grab bag, the trade deadline one, was pretty good and I am kind of regretting not taking part in that one.

That's how I feel. I think for $200 there's a ton of jerseys I could pick for myself and be perfectly happy. But I'm particular, even if I scored an Ovi jersey out of the grab bag I'd probably still sell it.

Also, their concept of what jerseys are "worth" is warped. Good luck getting your $200 back on preseason jerseys, probably won't happen, that's why they have so many to give away.

Edited by mfitz804

Preseasons are alright but the training camp jerseys is what I'm afraid of getting. Gotta pass on this one.

It is still better than some of the past loser jerseys. They've done practice jerseys before at least once or twice. Back in 2012 all of the loser jerseys were devils 90's CCM authentics and I got a red CCM size 52 Ultrafil devils jersey. That was pretty awesome lol.

Oh they will sell out just for the simple fact that people in general are gamblers.