(How) can I remove paint from a white airknit jersey?

Good job! I have recently tried to remove an autograph and a big text from an authentic white CCM air-knit Avs jersey. To remove it I've used sticker/label remover (which smells like hell for days) and after that rinsed and washed it (40 Celcius). There are some faint spots left, so I am not satisfied, yet.

So, for the last bit I am not sure what to use; ink remover, alcohol, aceton or whatever, as I'm not certain what the result would be.

Should I use the sticker/label remover again, or are there other solutions? I'm hoping for the latter as the first method is pretty heavy in after-care.

I'll post pics of the results when she's done. Cheers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1999 - 2000? Kariya or Selanne first, then I'd say Steve Rucchin, Oleg Tverdovsky, Ruslan Salei, or Matt Cullen.

That's a list I can live with.....I tend to do European, more specifically old Soviet Block country players for some reason.

Good job! I have recently tried to remove an autograph and a big text from an authentic white CCM air-knit Avs jersey. To remove it I've used sticker/label remover (which smells like hell for days) and after that rinsed and washed it (40 Celcius). There are some faint spots left, so I am not satisfied, yet.

So, for the last bit I am not sure what to use; ink remover, alcohol, aceton or whatever, as I'm not certain what the result would be.

Should I use the sticker/label remover again, or are there other solutions? I'm hoping for the latter as the first method is pretty heavy in after-care.

I'll post pics of the results when she's done. Cheers.

I'd try alcohol and just let it soak for about five minutes then hit it with a liquid dish soap. Rinse it with warm/hot water first before using the soap. USE A SOFT BRISTLED BRUSH. The rubbing alcohol is strong and I thought it was worse than the Goof Off smell wise.

Get a cereal bowl and fill it with the alcohol and soak that specific area. I have mixed feelings about using acetone, it is stronger but I'm not sure if it will discolor white or strip out the color of a home jersey. Personally, the whole "test an area first" is a good idea, but I've always been the jump in the deep end type of person and hope for the best.

Post results, hopefully we can get a good handle on what works and what doesn't.

One small afterthought, I don't know what kind of chemicals that dry cleaners in the Netherlands use, I'm assuming they are more of the "green" type chemicals. But that is an option as well and would probably try that first since you have gotten most of it out.

Thanks LTZ. I always thought that hockey jerseys could not be dry cleaned, but some members have done it, so I've read. With that option I want to be very careful, there's almost no influence on the process, just give-and-go, praying for a good result and a not ruined jersey. If I use the alcohol (or ethanol?) procedure, I can proceed step by step and evaluate after each step. Deep end also works for me, but often I tend to take the hard way instead of the easy way.

Recently I learned that you can use Purel hand sanitizer to remove permanent marker from clothing. I assume the alcohol content is what makes it work.

Never used it on a jersey, but I did it to a piece of my daughter's clothing and it came out nearly immediately, even before washing.

I then rinsed it out and applied a little more to the spot. Threw it in the wash and it was gone without a trace.

When I was in the military, we used Aqua Net to get out pen and marker out of clothing. Aqua Net, believe it or not is about 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. It worked two ways, first the alcohol and second the accelerated delivery that flushed as you went. It smells like the 1980's (BIG HAIR PERIOD) but works like a charm. I'm a firm believer in using alcohol on pen and marker as it has always worked for me in the past. I've always taken it as a personal mission and have had great success getting stains out. Paint is my nemesis, especially oil based paints.

BTW: Spray Rightguard or neutral shoe polish also takes scuffs off of tile floors.

Thanks LTZ. I always thought that hockey jerseys could not be dry cleaned, but some members have done it, so I've read. With that option I want to be very careful, there's almost no influence on the process, just give-and-go, praying for a good result and a not ruined jersey. If I use the alcohol (or ethanol?) procedure, I can proceed step by step and evaluate after each step. Deep end also works for me, but often I tend to take the hard way instead of the easy way.

What I told my dry cleaner was if they thought that they would ruin the crest, not to do it. My understanding is that they can or do spray the cleaning fluid on the spot and do what they do to get it clean. On my jersey, the outside is paint free, but the inside still has paint on it, hence the photo with the sunlight shining through it. Polyester and paint evidently is a bad combo, especially latex based paints and polyester since they bond to each other. I honestly didn't think my jersey was going to come out that clean.

Recently I learned that you can use Purel hand sanitizer to remove permanent marker from clothing. I assume the alcohol content is what makes it work.

Never used it on a jersey, but I did it to a piece of my daughter's clothing and it came out nearly immediately, even before washing.

I then rinsed it out and applied a little more to the spot. Threw it in the wash and it was gone without a trace.

I'm going to try this. I just bought and received a white Blues on ice Finley jersey that oddly has a sharpie line down the back between the 3 and 7. Looks like someone was jacking around and it's not that deep dark black like it went through a lot.

I'm going to try this. I just bought and received a white Blues on ice Finley jersey that oddly has a sharpie line down the back between the 3 and 7. Looks like someone was jacking around and it's not that deep dark black like it went through a lot.

Let us know what happens. It worked like a charm on a white cotton shirt.

Not so much on a polyester jersey. I'd say that the hand Purell did a little to nothing. I then brought out the big guns and used the 95% Iso Alcohol and it got about 85-90% of it out. It's hang drying at the moment and when I have some daylight I'll take pics. I did remember to take a before pic earlier today. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself NO MORE JERSEYS WITH MARKER OR PAINT......................................................

LOL, But I love the challenge, you know with my severe Type A personality and all, or it might be a case of OCD.

So..about the autograph on my jersey and how I'm trying to clean it, I wanted to post the results thusfar. I dug into my female side and made a collage of it.
oh75CRF.jpg

Here's how I processed:

1. Cleaned the autograph with sticker/label remover with a tootbrush and piece of cloth; I put a bucket under the back of the jersey for a steady underground and protection of the rest of the jersey

2. Rinsed the jersey with cold water to get the remover and smell out of it

3. Wash the jersey in the washing machine (delicate wash)

After cleaning her the 2nd time I'm now more positive with the result (outer right pics) - just a bit of autograph shades left to be seen.

Cleaning her one more time should be enough, hopefully.

$40 jersey - but never again.

• 1 month later...

$40 jersey - but never again.

Seems to be a common theme....

I did find something new I'm wanting to try out. Carbona Stain Devils, they make different ones for different stains; Ink, marker and crayon..Blood...and so on.

I know I said I'd never try to remove a marker/pen stain again, but it's like watching a train wreck, I just can't not do it.