Adidas Won the NHL Contract

dsl135

http://www.tsn.ca/adidas-lands-nhl-jersey-deal-1.346839

The National Hockey League appears poised for radical changes to its team jerseys in the wake of a deal that may pave the way for advertising on team uniforms.

Adidas has won a long-term deal to make uniforms for the 30 NHL teams, beginning in the 2016-17 season.

Adidas takes over from its corporate cousin Reebok, a sports brand owned by Adidas.

A source told TSN that the deal would surely mean big changes to uniform designs, perhaps with Adidas’s familiar three-stripe trademark being added to some or all team jerseys.

Gonna be interesting. I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Reebok Edge jerseys, so in that regard I like that it's (sort of) staying within the same company. But I don't like the idea of sweeping changes to team's jerseys again.

I hope this brings an end to the indo-edge. It's gonna be really crappy though having advertisements on the jerseys

Though I'm not surprised Reebok is going away, there's been rumblings of them just becoming a "fitness" brand for a while now, I'm surprised they are going with Adidas branding and not the CCM branding they started using on minor league jerseys recently. I mean it's all the same company, but I still think CCM is a stronger brand in the mind of hockey fans than Adidas these days.

Yeah but Adidas themselves are struggling and losing market share and recognition to Nike and Under Armour, with Nike winning the NFL and NBA jersey contracts, so they probably need to boost the main brand more than they care about boosting CCM.

I think the jerseys will stay the same and just slap an Adidas patch over the Reebok patch. As for jersey advertising. I'd only go down the game worn route. I wouldn't buy an authentic.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11863398_10155885788175537_5568567120139727852_n.jpg?oh=df1fdd201412f69a707d01242efd5dd4&oe=5637F6D3

I think the jerseys will stay the same and just slap an Adidas patch over the Reebok patch. As for jersey advertising. I'd only go down the game worn route. I wouldn't buy an authentic.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11863398_10155885788175537_5568567120139727852_n.jpg?oh=df1fdd201412f69a707d01242efd5dd4&oe=5637F6D3

I agree, it will be no difference in the jersey, just in how its tagged.

The addition of advertising actually makes me more inclined to stick with authentic, depending how bad the advertising is. On a lot of minor league jerseys, the advertising makes a cool jersey look ridiculous, and then I have no desire to wear it.

I would rather, in some respects, just get a "clean" authentic without the advertising.

Yea, I'm kind of torn... cuz the purist in me will hate the ads and want a cleaner jersey, but the OCD in me will want the ads on my authentic.

That said, the article certainly implies that we're not only going to see a new patch on the jerseys that says Adidas instead of Reebok. I certainly hope that's all we see, but the article implies massive changes.

I'm hoping the use humor and you all have to wear jerseys with a huge Tampax logo on them.

That's just gonna be for Crosby jerseys.

I'm hoping the use humor and you all have to wear jerseys with a huge Tampax logo on them.

Tampax on the front, Astroglide on the back.

At least "Tompox" and "Astrogride" patches will give away the fakes more easily.

I just hope Adidas gets to update the hockey pants too ... they've had some *great* styles in college basketball lately ...

from looking like your pants are falling down:

screen-shot-2015-03-31-at-10-03-35-pm.pn

to partnering with fruit stripe gum:

Screen-shot-2013-03-15-at-10.10.25-PM.pn

Fruit stripe?!?!? It would be perfect! The devils look good for a few minutes, then things go south quickly and leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's a perfect fit!

Aw, now I've made myself sad.

Edited by JoeM7392

Fruit stripe?!?!? It would be perfect! The devils look good for a few minutes, then things go south quickly and leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's a perfect fit!

Aw, now I've made myself sad.

That is unfortunately an accurate assessment of the past 3 years.

That is unfortunately an accurate assessment of the past 3 years.

2012 seems like such a long time ago...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Adidas try to offer a limited number of templates, each with prominent use of the 3 stripes. And I would hope that teams that have more traditional and/or unique designs would tell them to take a hike.

On the one hand, I really want to believe that this will go a lot like when Nike got the NFL contract a few years ago. People freaked out that Nike was going to bring their wacky collegiate designs to the pros. Instead they came out with designs that were mostly par for the course: traditional franchises looked like they were supposed to, while the Seahawks debuted a relatively subdued redesign that was coming anyway.

On the other, the NFL has a bit more clout than the NHL, and the NHL has not exactly been known for restraint in on-ice branding over the last 20-25 years. I don't recall seeing any wording like this article around the NFL deal, or Nike's upcoming NBA deal. It reads as if adidas is going to treat this a lot like their MLS deal, and that's not something I want to see. Here's hoping they at least spare the Original Six.

Football (soccer) shirts (jerseys) have in recent history been with jersey sponsorship. Could you imagine Inter Milan without Pirelli? I would like to think IF jerseys got sponsorship the selling rate of jerseys would fall.