NHL official press release: Adidas to take over jerseys

StayFrosty

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=779133&navid=nhl:topheads

"NEW YORK -- The NHL and adidas on Tuesday announced a seven-year partnership that will make adidas the official outfitter of on-ice uniforms and official supplier of licensed apparel and headwear for the League starting with the 2017-18 season."...

""As important as the excitement for the season is, having a great partner like adidas is what we're all about," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "Teaming up with adidas continues our strategy of aligning with major partners who not only share our vision for growing the game and the League, but also putting innovation at the forefront of what we do for our players and our fans."...

"Commissioner Bettman emphatically denied that the new partnership with adidas means advertising on NHL sweaters is coming in the near future.

"The fact of the matter is, and I've been fairly vocal on this over the last few years as the subject has come up, we are not currently considering putting advertising on NHL jerseys," Commissioner Bettman said. "There have been no discussions formally or informally with anybody about doing that."

With respect to the World Cup, Commissioner Bettman said there have been some discussions about advertising on jerseys, but nothing is imminent. NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said if it happens it would be for experimentation purposes.

"It goes to the respect we have for the history and tradition of our game, the reverence that fans have for our sweaters and our game," Commissioner Bettman said. "Our sweaters, I think among all the sports, are iconic, which is why previously I've been quoted as saying we certainly won't be the first [to put advertising on jerseys], you'd probably have to drag me kicking and screaming, which would take a lot, a lot, a lot of money, and it's something we're not considering now. Whether or not we choose to, as Don said, experiment with the World Cup may be something else, but the view I just articulated is consistent overwhelmingly with how most owners feel."...

""One of the reasons, and there are many, that this is a big opportunity for us is the popularity of the sport not only in America, but in Canada," King said. "North America is a place where this sport is really growing in popularity. Whether it's digital or broadcast, it really gives us an opportunity with the adidas brand to tell sports fans in the largest market in the world that we're a part of this really great game and this really great sport."...

""The adidas brand, almost more than any brand in sport, is global," King said. "Gary said one of the things he was really looking for in a partner was the ability to take the hockey message and the NHL message around the world. We're really pleased to help the NHL and the sport of hockey be exposed around the world."....

"Adidas will also be outfitting NHL dressing rooms with high-performance training footwear and apparel.

CCM, which like Reebok is a brand owned by the adidas Group, will remain the NHL's official on-ice equipment supplier for the duration of the League's seven-year contract with adidas.

In addition, adidas will work with the NHL to be present for fan interaction at major League events such as the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, the Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, the NHL All-Star Game and the Stanley Cup Playoffs."....

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm really glad to hear it doesn't look like there will be advertisements on jerseys until at least past 2025, if ever.

However, finding out that the current Edge jerseys are just going to be replaced by newer Adidas versions fans will have to collect just makes me even more glad I've got out of this hobby (I sold my entire collection). Nothing wrong with this hobby, but I decided wearing sports apparel isn't for me. And I'd rather collect action figures, where it's much cheaper to "upgrade" once new ones are produced. :P

This is Bettman at his "best" - making it sound like it won't happen while leaving it as a very distinct possibility and dropping hints to companies that it won't be cheap:

"....you'd probably have to drag me kicking and screaming, which would take a lot, a lot, a lot of money, and it's something we're not considering now."

• 4 months later...

When I was at Real Sports over the weekend I saw that all the Raptors gamers were made by adidas in Thailand using "climacool" or some shít like that.

Let's hope that the NHL stays in Canada and made in the Sport Maska facility that CCM/Reebok has been using for years.

Climacool? Is that what NBA jerseys are made from? That's what Adidas uses for a lot of soccer jerseys around the world. It's very flimsy and makes sense for a constantly-moving sport like soccer. It does NOT work for anything involving friction contact though because they will disintegrate.

Whatever happens I don't think we'll see a complete redesign like we saw with the edge 1.0. Jerseys will probably stay the same expert for the adidas patch instead of reebok

Whatever happens I don't think we'll see a complete redesign like we saw with the edge 1.0. Jerseys will probably stay the same expert for the adidas patch instead of reebok

Yeah I believe that is correct.

I think there will definitely be a redesign involved to bring something new to the table and most of all to sell more jerseys. Adidas probably is wanting to leave its mark and not only put their logo patches on the Edge jerseys. However it's going to be exciting what they gonna do and how far they will take it material-wise!

I actually kinda hope that's what happens. I know they have some detractors but I've really grown to love the edge jerseys.

Edited by JoeM7392

They might get the famous three stripes on the length of the sleeves and on the pants.

I thought the last Hawks SS jerseys had a bit of an Adidas look to them with the sleeve stripes. I think pant stripes would be a pretty safe bet, too.

If that's true, they'd be altering the design of the jerseys to incorporate their own logo (beyond the usual small logo). That would be some major BS.

If that's true, they'd be altering the design of the jerseys to incorporate their own logo (beyond the usual small logo). That would be some major BS.

Just take a look at some random Adidas soccer jerseys.

Exactly. Right in the Adidas.

All jersey designs will be overhauled, except the Devils... who continue to refuse change FOREVER.

All jersey designs will be overhauled, except the Devils... who continue to refuse change FOREVER.

That's old ownership/management...we'll probably have a horrible cartoon Devil by next season.

That's old ownership/management...we'll probably have a horrible cartoon Devil by next season.

Gimmie a clean looking black alt. I need it.

Gimmie a clean looking black alt. I need it.

As long as its not a cartoon devil with flames instead of stripes, I'm in.

Who am I kidding, I'd buy that too. Give us a third!!!