NHL official press release: Adidas to take over jerseys

StayFrosty

But I'm curious if having the benefit of advertisements all over the boards (since that's not an option during basketball games), and now even digitally imaged on the glass like a bad Lucas prequel would be reason enough that they wouldn't approve of also putting them on NHL hockey jerseys.

In soccer they have both; ads on shirts and on boards along the side.

More ca$h to buy players who are somewhat between rockstars and mannequins.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We however don't have ad breaks in the middle of each half. There was talk about it for the Qatar world cup, but they'd disguise them as 'water breaks'. In ice hockey it's not as if players are being bought and sold, they're traded, for each other and draft picks. The wage is capped too, so the extra money can't go on obnoxious wages either.

The whole angle of ads on jerseys is not necessarily the exposure of a small logo on a jersey seen on tv but is moreso based on fan support of that team buying merchandise that has the brand on it and the millions of fans serving as marketing billboards for the company outside of the arena. Manchester United being a prime example of a team who can have the masses who support them practically wear chevy logos every time a game is played and chevy gets exposure whether you attend or watch a game or not simply because the population takes the logo wherever they go that day. It will happen in hockey. To the extent of where and how visible im not sure. I hope for shoulder patches. Who doesnt love a patch!

Well that article says you can buy the basketball vests without an advert, but I think it could be an optional extra.

The AHL authentics that are sold do not have the sponsor patches, much to some people's disappointment. No reason to believe the NHL wouldn't be the same way. Leading to a thread where people ask "Where can I get a Trojan sponsor patch?"

We however don't have ad breaks in the middle of each half. There was talk about it for the Qatar world cup, but they'd disguise them as 'water breaks'. In ice hockey it's not as if players are being bought and sold, they're traded, for each other and draft picks. The wage is capped too, so the extra money can't go on obnoxious wages either.

The extra money would go towards wages though because the salary cap is linked to a percentage of revenue.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate Adidas and everything they stand for. they f***** up the nba with 20 different uniforms for each team. and sleeved jerseys as well. and their 3 stripes on every soccer team jersey. just the shitiest brand in the world

;)

Edited by tomtucker

I ideally don't want to see ads on jerseys, but the NHL would be stupid not to do it as it is free money without actually effecting the on ice product. They probably don't want to be the first one to succumb and do it, because they aren't the most popular league, and it will make them look inferior. Right now, ads on shirts is something reserved for low end sports leagues. I am guessing Lacrosse players dress in a giant billboard costume with holes cut out for their face and arms.

Once the more popular leagues like NFL/MLB/NBA jump on board, the NHL will do it.

Edited by hockeyjerseyssuck

• 2 weeks later...

This might bode well for the Adidas NHL jerseys. They also took over the CFL contract and here's what the new uniforms looks like. I don't see anything that scream Adidas in there, they look almost exactly like the old Reebok uniforms looked like.

https://t.co/9OrOis4aj8

Edited by DC Red Wings

This might bode well for the Adidas NHL jerseys. They also took over the CFL contract and here's what the new uniforms looks like. I don't see anything that scream Adidas in there, they look almost exactly like the old Reebok uniforms looked like.

https://t.co/9OrOis4aj8

But adidas will be more tempted to over design their NHL jerseys since they will actually want to use a professional sports league to promote their brand.

Since jersey ads were discussed here a bit...

The worst team in the NBA was the first to sign up a sponsor for their jerseys.. at 5M per season. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/76ers-become-first-nba-team-to-find-a-sponsor-for-jersey-ads-142237247.html

"Our partnership with StubHub continues to generate progressive and forward-thinking platforms created to improve the fan experience and advance our industry." -76ers CEO Scott O’Neil

Barf. I hate marketing-speak. It's an advertisement patch. That they're paying you a lot of money to put on your team's unis.

"Our partnership with StubHub continues to generate progressive and forward-thinking platforms created to improve the fan experience and advance our industry." -76ers CEO Scott O’Neil

Barf. I hate marketing-speak. It's an advertisement patch. That they're paying you a lot of money to put on your team's unis.

You nailed it. They did it for a check, plain and simple. Same reason they name arenas and stadiums stupid things instead of naming them after important people in the state or franchise. I would so rather the Devils play in John McMullen Arena than the Prudential Center.

The only exception would be if any of them had a sense of humor. K-Y Jelly Stadium would be pretty awesome. Or the Astroglide Astrodome.

Just watch your step.

You nailed it. They did it for a check, plain and simple. Same reason they name arenas and stadiums stupid things instead of naming them after important people in the state or franchise. I would so rather the Devils play in John McMullen Arena than the Prudential Center.

The only exception would be if any of them had a sense of humor. K-Y Jelly Stadium would be pretty awesome. Or the Astroglide Astrodome.

Just watch your step.

...The Magnum Megadome.

Just watch your step.

No, i don't think that would be a good idea, it would be a slippery slope.

:P

Edited by tomtucker

• 2 weeks later...

Mitchell and Ness has really been hammered since they were bought out by Adidas. Before they were big fish in a pretty small market which is nostalgia wear. Now every brand makes it and it's hard for them to compete when their stuff is overpriced and they have been lacking in quality lately. I think it was them who a couple year ago released a re-creation throwback of the 1994 Rangers Stanley Cup finals jersey of Messier and they used the wrong bottom striping.

Hope they step up their game, lower pricing (a t-shirt shouldn't be $35-45 retail) and finally know how long a jersey should be.

Edit: just remembered it was CCM that messed up the messier jersey. Still they need to step up on their quality that has gone down in recent years if they want to continue to try to sell these for $300 retail and way to long for most people to wear.

Edited by Devilsguy