A "jersey collecting is an illness" thread.

mfitz804

I often talk about collecting as being an illness. This is how it manifested itself today.

Today I put a jersey that I already have in my Watchlist on eBay just because of the price. The one I have is blank and I have no plans to customize it. I had no plans to customize the new one. I literally would have had two of the same jersey, same size, same colors.

And, I was trying to sell said jersey a few weeks ago.

I mean, it was a good price, but it was still $100 for what would have been the identical blank jersey.

Post your confessions here.

Edited by mfitz804

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sold a jersey to justify buying another ome. Turned around and bought a blank a week later and had it customized to be the exact same thing as the first one I just sold.

Didn't cost me anything extra, but I'm not sure why I convinced myself I could part with the original in the first place.

So last week I bought an Eagles gamer that I really didn't have the money openly available to buy. The next day I saw a hockey gamer that I've wanted for a while up for sale and after thinking long and hard since I was already over my head money wise I bought it anyway.

Fast forward until this past Thursday and I sold the Eagles gamer to help pay for the hockey gamer.

Now today I see another football gamer that will be the most expensive of the bunch that I have to have, haha.

The illness is real.

Ugh. As much as I despise the flyers, I struggle to put into words the mind numbing hatred I have for the eagles. And I'm not a fan of the team you would think I'd be, either. You took my running back :(

I've been here what, 4 months? I've bought more jerseys in that time period and some of them are multiples that my wife is rolling her eyes when a box arrives. I honestly started out trying to buy the CCM retail jerseys from the mid/late 90's that have the little crest next to the CCM on the tail. This has snowballed into gamers, team issued, and authentics. Half my closet and the downstairs closets are now full of jerseys.

Off the top of my head I know I have multiples of Tampa Bay 6100's and St. Louis Blues 6100's for no other reason that I got them C-H-E-A-P.

Problem is, I don't sell things too often. I've learned a TON from you guys and reading all the different threads on this site. Unlike some of my other "hobbies" you guys don't seem to want to one up each other and are humble.

I'd like to give a shout out to one member for reminding me how much I like the NJ Devils, mfitz804. I wish I wouldn't have given up on hockey in the early 2000's but I wasn't even in the U.S. at that time so I guess I had a good reason. I do have some fond memories of the 80's and 90's St. Louis Blues and vividly recall when Tony Twist was brought on and the pre-season game against the Chicago Chicken Hawks, man he was a brutal player in the day. I just wish I would have kept all those old jerseys........

I'm trying to get my teammates into buying jerseys, which I will then hunt for them because I don't want them to buy fakes. And of course there's the missus (some women don't like men hobbies - at all), so I am setting up something to get the jerseys delivered at hockey practice. "New jersey? Uuhh..does this smell like a new jersey?"

Back when I collected mostly replicas and authentics, I bought basically anything and everything that I thought looked cool, was a somewhat unique Devils item or was a steal. That lead to a collection that was about 75ish (give or take 10 jerseys) deep. I really do not miss those days as it was constant buying and selling on ebay to get a slightly better jersey and it felt endless. When I sold a large chunk of my collection to fund my move to gamers, it made things a lot easier and prevented my closet from bursting at he seams.

Now with gamers, the pitfall in that is collecting anything and everything as unless you have an endless supply of $ that will lead to disaster. I have already seen plenty of budding gamer collectors flame out quickly because they just buy everything in sight and when the invoices and bills start coming in, they realize they overreached and they pretty much get out of the hobby, never to be seen again. I almost fell into this trap but I was able to get out of it by having a focus or two and sticking to it. My focuses have changed slightly over the years, but not radically enough to where I have to almost re-start like I did when I was collecting replicas/authentics. I think the focus plan is a good idea for whatever you collect as there will always be another jersey, but there will also not be enough money and room in the world to get them all.

My therapist suggested I do something creative to redirect some of my compulsive behavior, so I wrote a book...

It did little to curb anything.

Also, please sell me all of your jerseys.

My therapist suggested I do something creative to redirect some of my compulsive behavior, so I wrote a book...

Yeah that book is basically published evidence of how sick you are. Or how awesome. Can't decide.

I'll sell you mine if you sell me yours

I keep telling myself.. "I've been good for a while so I can splurge" Or "Hey, it's my b-day" Or "All the jersey's I bought recently were good deals so why not reward myself with one I've wanted for a long time"

Bonus check is 3 days away so more excuses pending.

Currently I have 11 - 31gal Rubbermaid containers filled with great deals.

of them 2 are exclusively Hawks.

The girlfriend is mad that they aren't insured, if I insure them I have less coin to spend on the next Great deal.

Phew, that felt good to get off my chest.

Guess I'll reward myself by checking the Trading post before I go to bed.

Edited by Hockey Bob

.....ive resorted to opening up a PO BOX and schilling out $150+/year , just so that my mail does not come directly to the house :(

One of the perks of living in a doorman building is not needing a PO Box

It's definitely interesting to think about why we all do this-- I was trying to diagnose myself a while ago and came up with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_buying_disorder

I've definitely fallen into bad habits on my jersey quest-- the desire to buy another jersey never really seems to go away, and I find that I typically impulsively buy them just to have something to look forward to rather than another boring week of no mail lol

I try to stick to a standard-- go down the list of NHL teams, choose 3 of my favorite players from each (if possible) and then determine whether or not I really want one of their jerseys, then I pick a style and make a plan out of it

I've deviated from this plan countless times, especially due to my alternate quests of getting 1 jersey of every current NHL team and getting a jersey for each recent Selke winner

I still have work to do on both of those accounts, but I definitely find that when I'm less bored and more emotionally healthy the random purchases stop and logic prevails

Humans are messed up

I made an inventory spreadsheet with basically every detail about each jersey, including (but not limited to) brand, size, patch/letter info, and acquisition details (when/where I purchased, and for how much).

So the illness isn't limited to the fact that I have a lot of jerseys (and continue to buy more), but that I have so many jerseys that necessitate an entire spreadsheet.

One of the perks of living in a doorman building is not needing a PO Box

"I'm sure he's having a good laugh over this with his doorman buddies."

Edited by Flyers845

I've given this a fair amount of thought and I'm not surprised that there's something called compulsive buying disorder.

There should be. I spend at least SOME time looking for jerseys to buy every single day. Some days more than others, but I always check eBay and the Trading Post here daily.

Thankfully, what I'm looking for isn't readily available or I'd buy a ton of it.

That's why I appreciate Federal Hockey League jerseys. They don't pop up that often but when they do, I get the special feels.

I get that same feeling when I receive one of my favorite Ultrafils, even though I have a few already every time I add one it makes me happy. I'll pull it out of the box, look over all its details, it reminds me of when I got my very first authentic and the Devils' first cup. Definitely a feel good moment.

I made an inventory spreadsheet with basically every detail about each jersey, including (but not limited to) brand, size, patch/letter info, and acquisition details (when/where I purchased, and for how much).

So the illness isn't limited to the fact that I have a lot of jerseys (and continue to buy more), but that I have so many jerseys that necessitate an entire spreadsheet.

I keep a spreadsheet just like that as well for just my gamers.

There should be. I spend at least SOME time looking for jerseys to buy every single day. Some days more than others, but I always check eBay and the Trading Post here daily.

Thankfully, what I'm looking for isn't readily available or I'd buy a ton of it.

Okay. Quit spying on my browser history. :)

And amen to that last sentence.

This year, my son was born and I bought a house. That proved to be somewhat of a cure. Last month I only bought two jerseys (Dave Bolland gamer, Sabres authentic), this month only one (Chicago Bears Elite jersey). I'm so proud of myself ;)