Twill stain on air knit? The end of the world, or fixable?

I recently stripped a jersey. I've stripped enough jerseys, and usually don't have many problems.

This jersey is probably 20-30 years old. It is air knit if that matters. There are heavy twill stains.

I've yet to try goof off as I am out.

Is there something known to work? Goof off, acetone, lighter fluid (it isn't a Leafs jersey but still)?

Worst case scenario, I can just cover it with a freshly cut number, but I'd ideally like to clean it up and strip it.

Pics?

Is it the White or Blue? (Assuming it's the White)

I stripped a White 92 Sharks a while back and tried to use the aerosol Goof-Off to clean it up, it only caused the black remains to streak across the whole jersey.

If you are going to try Goof-Off I'd suggest getting the pour-able bottle and try hitting it in small areas with an old toothbrush.

Good luck

Pics?

Is it the White or Blue? (Assuming it's the White)

I stripped a White 92 Sharks a while back and tried to use the aerosol Goof-Off to clean it up, it only caused the black remains to streak across the whole jersey.

If you are going to try Goof-Off I'd suggest getting the pour-able bottle and try hitting it in small areas with an old toothbrush.

Good luck

I don't have any pictures, but it is actually a black twill stain.

I'll give the pour-able goof off a shot. Thanks for the tip about the running. As of now, I can just cover the area up with a newly cut number, but it would suck to have it run over the entire jersey and ruin it.

Why bother trying to clean it if it's going to be covered anyway? No sense risking further damage to the jersey.

• 4 months later...

Reviving this old thread as I just stripped a nice white 89/90 Rangers and unfortunately name and numbers left some well visible twill stains.

Got the name and sleeve numbers quite good under control with aceton, but the back number is just a big spot of red glue.

We don't have Goof Off here in Germany, but do you think it would be the right stuff to tackle the stains? If yes, which is the right Goof Off as they're having tons of variations? How do you use that stuff?

If you guys think, Goof Off is the right weapon, I will try to get it shipped over.

Thanks a lot in advance