CJ Matthews

2016-2017 New Jersey Watch

19 minutes ago, HockeyMusic said:

At least Phil Kessel did not win mvp

image.jpeg

Good for Phil to win the cup.  Doesn't change the fact it was absolutely the right decision to get rid of him.  

48 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

image.jpeg

That should be a hot dog.

Crosby for the Conn Smythe? Are you s***ting me?

4 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

That should be a hot dog.

He already ate that, and is onto round two. 

4 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

Crosby for the Conn Smythe? Are you s***ting me?

but then who should have won it ? Murray ?

3 hours ago, tomtucker said:

but then who should have won it ? Murray ?

Pretty much anyone but Crosby. That's really a joke. The guy was 7th in scoring in the playoffs, a whole 11 points behind the leader, and only had 4 points (no goals) in the Final. Those aren't Conn Smythe numbers.

In all honesty, it probably should have been Murray, but I think this was truly a year where a player from the losing team should have won... Couture. 30 points in the playoffs, 6 points in the Final. Way better numbers than Crosby.

59 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

Pretty much anyone but Crosby. That's really a joke. The guy was 7th in scoring in the playoffs, a whole 11 points behind the leader, and only had 4 points (no goals) in the Final. Those aren't Conn Smythe numbers.

In all honesty, it probably should have been Murray, but I think this was truly a year where a player from the losing team should have won... Couture. 30 points in the playoffs, 6 points in the Final. Way better numbers than Crosby.

It almost had the feel of "I've heard of Crosby, let's just give it to him". Totally won just based on reputation, not performance. 

Since before Crosby came into the league they've touted him as "The next Gretzky"
The NHL gives the Conn Smythe to anybody else and it is like admitting they might have been slightly off. Never gonna happen 

I'm not saying he sucks, I just wish everybody would stop stroking the guy, it's OK to be a really good player and not have to be predicted as the BEST! 

Years from now this is gonna be called the Crosby era regardless 

If there was a draft for every player in the league right now how many outside of Pittsburgh would choose Crosby with their 1st pick? 

21 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Since before Crosby came into the league they've touted him as "The next Gretzky"
The NHL gives the Conn Smythe to anybody else and it is like admitting they might have been slightly off. Never gonna happen 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm speaking in terms of last night. 

Wouldn't the same have been true in 2009?

:)

Honestly, I think the real issue was, nobody stood out from the pack. Kessel was 10-12-22, +5,  Crosby was 6-13-19, -2, Bonino was 4-14-18, +9, Malkin was 6-12-18, +1. That was your top 4 in scoring, all bunched up with around the same number of points. 

Murray had a 2.08 GAA and .923 save percentage. I think if he was at 1.99, with the corresponding bump up in percentage, you'd have to give it to him. 

And I know everyone hates Kessel. But he had more goals, only one less assist, and he was a +5 compared to Crosby's -2. I'd have given it to both Kessel AND Murray before Crosby. 

As you mentioned, it goes against the grain of this board but Kessel would have been my pick. 

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

As you mentioned, it goes against the grain of this board but Kessel would have been my pick. 

WAY against the grain. I have no idea why everyone hates that guy. 

Why all the Crosby hate? At every point in the playoffs when the team seamed to look deflated, he played well. The points argument never stood well with me. Crosby's work on D, his overall presence, and the lack of a much better alternative should make it clear why he won. 

Crosby had two big assists last night and Kessel was held pointless.  That's why Crosby was picked ahead of him.  

All I know is that with last night's final game of the season, today is officially the start of the sh**y part of my year. I hate summer.

One thing I did notice last night was the Pens jerseys didn't have the regular air-knit nameplates they usually use.  They were edge material which is weird because edge doesn't match the area the nameplate sits on.  

Something to keep in mind if all you sticklers for accuracy are doing up pens finals jerseys.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

All I know is that with last night's final game of the season, today is officially the start of the sh**y part of my year. I hate summer.

Yeah, no hockey. What's up with that?? We need to create our own league that plays June - the end of September. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, no hockey. What's up with that?? We need to create our own league that plays June - the end of September. 

Only if I get to put "He hate me" across the back of my next jersey.

But seriously ... Is it October yet? 

22 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Only if I get to put "He hate me" across the back of my next jersey.

But seriously ... Is it October yet? 

I'm going like Team Canada 2004, all jerseys have the same name on the back and just different numbers. 

That name is "Fartknocker".

6 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Speaking of such a classic nickname, I was hoping one of you Devils fans sprung for this.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/231965425322

That is amazing!!

20 hours ago, dsl135 said:

better numbers yes.....but crosby plays a overall solid game