I noticed on nhlpatches.info that they even show the NOT gameworn - miscellaneous patches. Why were they even designed and produced if the team didn't wear them?

There were certain instances(especially 1999-2000) where teams had planned to wear anniversary patches but were shot down by the league. Apparently the NHL had wanted only their NHL 2000 patch to be worn by the teams and only patches like the All-Star patch worn by the Maple Leafs, Hockey Hall of Fame patch worn by the Rangers and Maple Leafs and the Stanley Cup Finals patch worn by the Devils and Stars were allowed on the jerseys. This is probably why the Thrashers wore their inaugural patch on their pants.

The only other patches worn that year were specialty ones; oddly enough, both worn by Carolina, in the Steve Chaisson memorial patch and the Raleigh Arena Inaugural patch. I know that the Sabres had planned to use a 30th anniversary patch that year but it wasn't approved by the league because of the NHL 2000 patch.

Also, there were instances where patches weren't approved by the league and had to be removed after a few games. I know the Wings 75th anniversary patch in 2000-01 was one of those instances and maybe even the Maple Leafs 75th anniversary patch in 2001-02 and the Panthers 10th anniversary patch in 2002-03 too.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed on nhlpatches.info that they even show the NOT gameworn - miscellaneous patches. Why were they even designed and produced if the team didn't wear them?

There were certain instances(especially 1999-2000) where teams had planned to wear anniversary patches but were shot down by the league. Apparently the NHL had wanted only their NHL 2000 patch to be worn by the teams and only patches like the All-Star patch worn by the Maple Leafs, Hockey Hall of Fame patch worn by the Rangers and Maple Leafs and the Stanley Cup Finals patch worn by the Devils and Stars were allowed on the jerseys. This is probably why the Thrashers wore their inaugural patch on their pants.

The only other patches worn that year were specialty ones; oddly enough, both worn by Carolina, in the Steve Chaisson memorial patch and the Raleigh Arena Inaugural patch. I know that the Sabres had planned to use a 30th anniversary patch that year but it wasn't approved by the league because of the NHL 2000 patch.

Also, there were instances where patches weren't approved by the league and had to be removed after a few games. I know the Wings 75th anniversary patch in 2000-01 was one of those instances and maybe even the Maple Leafs 75th anniversary patch in 2001-02 and the Panthers 10th anniversary patch in 2002-03 too.

Why would a patch be disapproved? What are the criteria?

I have no idea. I think there's something similiar going on this year, though. I've seen several instances where the Canadiens DIDN'T wear their Centennial and All-Star Game patches with other specialty patches. Like when they played Toronto in the HHOF game, they only wore the HOF patch. Also, when they retired Roy's jersey, they ONLY wore the retirement patch and not the other two. There might be something going on with the league regarding teams wearing three patches. I don't know. Who knows what those goofballs are up to?

I have no idea. I think there's something similiar going on this year, though. I've seen several instances where the Canadiens DIDN'T wear their Centennial and All-Star Game patches with other specialty patches. Like when they played Toronto in the HHOF game, they only wore the HOF patch. Also, when they retired Roy's jersey, they ONLY wore the retirement patch and not the other two. There might be something going on with the league regarding teams wearing three patches. I don't know. Who knows what those goofballs are up to?

Ahah thanks Mike! Yeah I remember us talking about the fact that maybe wearing 3 patches wasn't possible. But then somebody gave examples of teams that have worn 3 patches in the past. This is all very confusing!

Wow that is pretty lame. Was there a purpose to the NHL 2000 patch other than to make people spend money? I don't think anyone was confused as to what league they were watching and what year it was.

The Washington Capitals also had a case of wearing a 25th anniversary patch that apparently wasn't approved by the league and was removed after just a few outings.

2078431880100337552S425x425Q85.jpg 2793887150100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

51klbqowjalss500.jpg

Anyone know where I can find one of the Boston U Terriers Hockey East 25th anniversary patches? They were sold online this season for all the HEA teams but they are sold out for all the teams except UVM, Merrimack, and {PROVICED.

Anyone know where I can find one of the Boston U Terriers Hockey East 25th anniversary patches? They were sold online this season for all the HEA teams but they are sold out for all the teams except UVM, Merrimack, and {PROVICED.

Other than Hockey East Online and USCHO, which share their inventory, I don't know of any other place to get that patch. My UVM patch will be here this week though.

Other than Hockey East Online and USCHO, which share their inventory, I don't know of any other place to get that patch. My UVM patch will be here this week though.
I picked one of those up myself as well. Assuming UVM plays BU at the FF, do you think they will wear their road jersey or third jersey?

I picked one of those up myself as well. Assuming UVM plays BU at the FF, do you think they will wear their road jersey or third jersey?

My guess is road, I am not even sure they wore the alternate this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought myself a 2009 All Star (EAST) jersey and I want to customize it (Malkin). If I send it to IJ do they supply the Penguins shoulder patch? And if not, I think I found one on ebay but I'm not sure if it's authentic or the right size. As I do not trust this seller I am looking for your opinion. Thanks.

Click here to see the patch!

I just bought myself a 2009 All Star (EAST) jersey and I want to customize it (Malkin). If I send it to IJ do they supply the Penguins shoulder patch? And if not, I think I found one on ebay but I'm not sure if it's authentic or the right size. As I do not trust this seller I am looking for your opinion. Thanks.

Click here to see the patch!

NEVERMIND. I just noticed that they did not have shoulder patches this year. The team logos were stickers on the helmets.

Crap, crap, crap. I totally forgot to put a bid in on a 94 Cup patch. It ended up going for 8 bucks. ###### it.

I went look for a '94 cup patch recently on eBay and found only one that was correct - there are a ton of different variations of fakes.

Those are HARD to find. I've also only seen one and it was the one I bought actually. I paid out the can for it too. Try murfandpat.com. They have all sorts of hard to find patches. Shoot them an e-mail. They're usually pretty prompt in responding.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new batch of Patches in so I figured I'd snap a pic of my patches waiting to be sewn...

patches.jpg

All of the above were from Murf & Pat with the exception of the HHOF game patch

Also, does anyone know where to find a Canucks patch for an All-Star jersey - it's a 2002, so it needs the orca, but not the new one with the darker colors. There's some on eBay that are fakes from Thailand and seem to be smaller. I've looked all of the other patch resources (Murf&Pat, PatchCollectibles, National Emblem etc.). If anyone has any ideas let me know.

looks like you bought the last 1994 cup patches. They're out of stock now. :P

I did actually - I asked for 3 and they said they only had 2 left.

looks like you bought the last 1994 cup patches. They're out of stock now. :P

I really need to get a 75th patch. I want to try and put together a Red Wings away jersey from Lidstrom's rookie season.

Those 75th patches are commonly found for less than $10 on.... ebay. But you already knew that.

Oh man, nice HHOF patch. I am digging that one. That's a Rangers-Leafs one too! Where'd you get that one? I've been looking for that one to add to my Graves Pro Player jersey.

Hi everyone - this is my first post on this board, but I recognize some familiar faces from JerseyCentral on here.

Two questions:

I'm looking for the NHL Game One Japan 2000 patch pictured here:

gameonepatch.jpg

Anyone know where I can find one? I've emailed and searched all the usual suspects. Haven't heard back from GameWorn Ron yet.

I also just bought a 1996 USA World Cup jersey. Is the patch sold at River City Sports the correct shoulder patch? Here's the URL:

http://www.rivercitysports.com/US/details-06.cfm?sku=63679

Thanks!

Edited by cupcake jesus

I got a new batch of Patches in so I figured I'd snap a pic of my patches waiting to be sewn...

patches.jpg

All of the above were from Murf & Pat with the exception of the HHOF game patch

Also, does anyone know where to find a Canucks patch for an All-Star jersey - it's a 2002, so it needs the orca, but not the new one with the darker colors. There's some on eBay that are fakes from Thailand and seem to be smaller. I've looked all of the other patch resources (Murf&Pat, PatchCollectibles, National Emblem etc.). If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Where did you get the HHOF patch?

Hi everyone - this is my first post on this board, but I recognize some familiar faces from JerseyCentral on here.

Two questions:

I'm looking for the NHL Game One Japan 2000 patch pictured here:

gameonepatch.jpg

Anyone know where I can find one? I've emailed and searched all the usual suspects. Haven't heard back from GameWorn Ron yet.

I also just bought a 1996 USA World Cup jersey. Is the patch sold at River City Sports the correct shoulder patch? Here's the URL:

http://www.rivercitysports.com/US/details-06.cfm?sku=63679

Thanks!

I believe the NHL Game One Japan 2000 patch was only ever found on game worn jerseys. I've never, ever seen one for sale.

The patch at River City is the correct smaller size for the USA 1996 jersey. Nike teams wore 3" patches and Bauer teams wore the larger 4" size.

I believe the NHL Game One Japan 2000 patch was only ever found on game worn jerseys. I've never, ever seen one for sale.

The patch at River City is the correct smaller size for the USA 1996 jersey. Nike teams wore 3" patches and Bauer teams wore the larger 4" size.

Nice - I think I'll order the World Cup patch from River City, despite the crazy shipping. Is the Game One patch on your Jagr jersey self-made?

• TMLFAN locked this topic