SnakeOiler12

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you're saying the numbers are two-layer, with a black non-twill layer on top? You've seen a gamer close-up?

Are we sure about this? Everything I see points towards it being single layer. I have an up close picture of the back of Gibson's Jersey that shows one layer.

I really wish there was a definite answer. Part of the reason I've been holding back on getting one. The lettering JB has on the premade ones look washed/dull out pretty badly

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/the-logo-for-the-2016-nhl-allstar-game-is-seen-on-the-locker-stall-picture-id507785202

I mean, if that's a kiss cut black layer I don't understand how it would be secure with the stitch only half on it like that. I'm almost certain it's one layer. I'll have to post the Gibson picture when I get home later.

Edited by JoeM7392

I saw a couple of the jerseys at Meigray. They are 2 layer and it appears that the inner part of the black edge is just heat pressed on.

Interesting. I don't doubt you at all, especially with two people saying the same thing, I just wish I could see it.

So is there any place that can offer the same style of numbering that was on ice? Or is that just not an option with these jerseys?

Not sure, EPS may say they can do it but you'd have to be armed with this information and hold them to it if you want it 100% accurate.

If they buy the kits from whoever created them for Reebok then they should be fine.

I'be e-mailed Josh for a description of EPS's kits, I'll post whatever reply he sends me.

I already have both of my 2016 ASG's at EPS, but I simply requested "sublimated" numbers without specifying any details about the different layers, as I did not know this info at the time I sent the jerseys in. Makes you wonder why the original customizer bothered to add another black layer to the numbers. I mean, if you're going to sublimate the gold part, why not just sublimate the entire gold/black pattern onto the white twill at the same time so it's only one layer? And in the photo of the Hall gamer posted by TheBZ, that small triangle in the center of the "4" would have absolutely no stitching holding it down. Might that piece of black material just peel off, possibly? I still haven't bothered to ask Josh how EPS will do the numbers. To be honest though, I don't think I'd even mind if they were just one-layer sublimated, even if that means they're not 100% on-ice accurate. Anyone else feel this way, or are all of you going to insist on the 2-layer sublimated/kiss-cut combination?

I'm going to wait and see what Josh tells me. I'm not a fan of a heat pressed layer and if that is in fact what they are doing, I'm going to have to think about what I want to do.

I'm with you LAK, I may request one layer sublimated anyway. I'm not sure I could deal with heat pressed parts that aren't stitched down. They may have only had to last one game for them, but I don't want to have that worry in the back of my head.

I'm with you LAK, I may request one layer sublimated anyway. I'm not sure I could deal with heat pressed parts that aren't stitched down. They may have only had to last one game for them, but I don't want to have that worry in the back of my head.

I agree, I'm not going to have anything heat pressed only. Sublimated makes the most sense, but if they are doing double layer, I may ask it to be fully stitched.

I'm not even sure if the one USA Jersey I got for a Schneider world junior used heat pressed or stitched, and to be honest I don't even care. It's going to be stitched either way. Unless it's something that would be blatantly obviously wrong, I'd never consider doing just pressed stuff on anything I plan to wear at any point.

I agree, I'm not going to have anything heat pressed only. Sublimated makes the most sense, but if they are doing double layer, I may ask it to be fully stitched.

See, that might look really wrong though. With the kiss cut layer as wide as it is, you would either need an extremely wide stitch, or two stitches running on both edges.

I think one layer sublimated with the one outside stitch would look way more authentic than that.

I think one layer sublimated with the one outside stitch would look way more authentic than that.

Agreed- unless you were looking at it from very close up, one layer sublimated would look almost the same as on the gamers. EPS uses very fine stitching with a high number of stitches per inch, so if they do kiss-cut them, I'd bet you'd see two rows of black stitching on opposite sides of the kiss-cut strip. I don't think I'd like that.

Personally, I think I'd be fine with single layer as long as they get the reflective part right.

You know, that may be the catch here. Did they kiss cut that layer because there wasn't a way to do the reflective stuff on a fully sublimated number?

Edited by JoeM7392

That just occurred to me too, right after reading furiousd's post. What I'm still not sure about though, is what kind of reflective effect is a black strip supposed to have? Almost by definition, black is the absence of any reflection of visible light. Did anyone see any special reflective effect of the black layer during the game broadcast? Or by reflective does it simply mean that the black layer just has more of a shiny surface to it as opposed to flat black?

Edited by LAK74

I didn't see anything during the game but seeing something like that in a fast moving game on tv would be hard to actually see. I'd imagine it would be like 3m reflective clothing and shoe companies use where under flash conditions it would give off that silverish glow

That just occurred to me too, right after reading furiousd's post. What I'm still not sure about though, is what kind of reflective effect is a black strip supposed to have? Almost by definition, black is the absence of any reflection of visible light. Did anyone see any special reflective effect of the black layer during the game broadcast? Or by reflective does it simply mean that the black layer just has more of a shiny surface to it as opposed to flat black?

I never saw any reflection of the numbers, but I barely saw it on the crests either and they definitely are reflective. It was only during the intros that I noticed it at all, with the multiple spotlights sometimes catching it correctly.

Look at the pictures I posted here, about halfway down the page:

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=6079&&page=424

Wondering if the kiss cut black layer is the same stuff as the black on the crest. It's very clearly just black in normal light, but any flash or anything and it lights right up. I mean, that would make the most sense out of all this, and it certainly complicates the decision on what to go with.

Edited by JoeM7392

I had totally forgotten that you posted those pictures! Well, if the black part of the numbers is supposed to be like the crest, then I guess that does make a big difference. Hopefully all of this will become more clear in the near future...

Yeah, the pictures are fairly telling. Wish somebody paid the ridiculous price for a gamer and could tell us. Maybe the eBay dude with the Hall would be nice enough to share some info with us.

Are you expecting yours back from EPS anytime soon?