What's It Worth?

So I figured, why not start a new thread where we can seek advice on the value of a jersey.

Goin to start it off with this inaugural season Sandow SK Don Lever. The crest and numbers need some heat but once I find a spot at home for my new heat press, it'll look as good as new.

What do you guys think? I have no clue...

20151222_201349-1_zps22egstyz.jpg

20151222_201507-1_zpsru55pikz.jpg

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the one that was listed on eBay for like $950 forever?

i sold a near mint condition blank one of those for like $300 I believe.

Is that the one that was listed on eBay for like $950 forever?

i sold a near mint condition blank one of those for like $300 I believe.

No. It was up on ebay for mere minutes before I scooped it.

Thanks for your input man.

Edited by The_Dude_Abides

Yeah I would say $300-400 ballpark seems right. Curious how much you got that for if you don't mind sharing.

Edit: found the auction. Wow, great deal. I also saw another that ended at $150 or so, but I still feel like the value has to be $250+.

Edited by JoeM7392

Let's talk about this heat press. I'm in the market for one if you don't mind sharing what kind you got.

Yeah I would say $300-400 ballpark seems right. Curious how much you got that for if you don't mind sharing.

Edit: found the auction. Wow, great deal. I also saw another that ended at $150 or so, but I still feel like the value has to be $250+.

I just saw it too. That was a steal. I might have bought that for that price and just put it in a frame since its not my size.

I imagine the value to be somewhere in that $250 range, more because less people (non-serious collectors) know who Lever is, and they haven't heard of Sandow.

I would play up that its from the first season if I were trying to sell it.

I'll most likely keep it for now but who knows. My tastes are leaning towards more vintage jerseys when they become available. I kind of feel like a poser because I was 2 years old when this jersey was used...way before my time. But still a very cool piece of history.

Let's talk about this heat press. I'm in the market for one if you don't mind sharing what kind you got.

PowerPress Industrial-Quality Digital 15-by-15-Inch Sublimation T-Shirt Heat Press, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CCVS4E/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_BMNOwb7B22CYX

Got it for christmas from the wife. When I asked her for it, she said "what the f**k is it?" Lol.

I have yet to set it up or even take it out of the box...haven't had time.

I just got sick of people who have no idea how to fold a jersey. Crests and numbers get creased and washing can cause bubbling. I used to take them to Locker Room for some heat but I figured I'd get my own. Maybe make a t-shirt or two as well.

I'll most likely keep it for now but who knows. My tastes are leaning towards more vintage jerseys when they become available. I kind of feel like a poser because I was 2 years old when this jersey was used...way before my time. But still a very cool piece of history.

Well, I never played for the Devils and I wear a Devils jersey almost daily. So by that logic I'm a poser too.

Well, I never played for the Devils and I wear a Devils jersey almost daily. So by that logic I'm a poser too.

Lol...I just meant I've never seen the guy play...had no clue who he even was until I read up on him. Just really dug the jersey.

Nor have I, I only know him because its my team and I have read about its history a bit. First captain and first goal scored for the NJD.

Thanks for the info guys. Turned out to be a sweet deal.

Yeah you made out very well here. I would be very happy. I'd like to see the end result after the pressing too. It looks like it might end up being nearly perfect if you can press those out nicely.

Edited by JoeM7392

BTW, the subject of this thread speaks to how we treat pricing transparency in the hobby. I saw this post and first thought, "Great idea. I would love to know what certain jerseys SHOULD go for."

Then it dawned on me. Most of these discussions that I've had have been via PM with people. Almost seems like a 'code' issue where we celebrate good deals but don't openly discuss individual jersey value. Am I just overthinking things here?

I suppose that's one way if looking at it but it's up to you if you want to post. I did it because I had no idea what the jersey was worth. I figured it was easier this way rather than make separate threads regarding individual jerseys. Comparing not-so-rare jerseys is relatively easy but those rare buggers are tough.

I'd like to know the market value of my newly acquired size 56 Wildwing authentic jersey.

Bout tree fiddy

Bout tree fiddy

You gave the Loch Ness monster tree fiddy? No wonder he keeps coming back!

Edited by thebiggoalie

I'd like to know the market value of my newly acquired size 56 Wildwing authentic jersey.

That's a tough one! So freakin' rare.

Replicas go for over $300usd. An authentic is so much more rarer. Can easily see someone spend up to 1k on one.

• 5 weeks later...

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this. Not really a "what's it worth" question, but more of a "how much can I expect to pay" one.

I've always had a hankering for an authentic Kings black Gretzky (92-96 when he was captain). How rare these?

Apologies for such a noob question, but I'm still kind of new to all of this and I don't really know what the general rarity/value of such things are. Most 90's CCM authentics seem to go for $200-$250, so I didn't know if this was just like any other one or not.

Well...those jerseys aren't super dooper ultra mega rare, so finding one wouldn't be that hard. The big question is do you care if it's a true double tag Gretzky. That small extra logo seems to add a lot if value for something that could be added by Keener for $30 CDN.

Other question is size. 52's would probably be the most expensive...the smaller you go from there, the cheaper.

I don't know if its still available, but there was an 89' black Gretzky Ultrafil floating around ebay for ever. I think it was in the low $200 range.

I think most would sell a double tag Ultrafil for around $400 or so on ebay...that's my guess.

Edited by The_Dude_Abides

I've always had a hankering for an authentic Kings black Gretzky (92-96 when he was captain). How rare these?

Gretzky was captain all the way back to 1989, although the fonts were of course different before 1992. For some reason, customized Gretzkys usually seem to appear on eBay for considerably more than what you would pay for a blank plus customization. So I would go the latter route. I've paid as little as $50 for a blank in great shape, plus another $55 or so for the lettering, but I must admit that my Kings ultrafils are size 44's and would be on the lower-priced side. Like The Dude said, some of the larger-sized ones would fetch higher prices, but I still don't think a larger blank would run you more than $150. So after customization, depending on which size you need, the whole thing might run anywhere from just over $100 to possibly just over $200. But if you're asking about an authentic double-tagged CCM, that's a different story. Those seem to have asking prices of around $200 more than the standard ones.

Well...those jerseys aren't super dooper ultra mega rare, so finding one wouldn't be that hard. The big question is do you care if it's a true double tag Gretzky. That small extra logo seems to add a lot if value for something that could be added by Keener for $30 CDN.

Other question is size. 52's would probably be the most expensive...the smaller you go from there, the cheaper.

I don't know if its still available, but there was an 89' black Gretzky Ultrafil floating around ebay for ever. I think it was in the low $200 range.

I think most would sell a double tag Ultrafil for around $400 or so on ebay...that's my guess.

All good info, thanks! I could take or leave the double-tag. I'd be more concerned with the rest of customization job. I saw that '89 on eBay. Shame it's a size 44, and I'd need a 48.

Gretzky was captain all the way back to 1989, although the fonts were of course different before 1992. For some reason, customized Gretzkys usually seem to appear on eBay for considerably more than what you would pay for a blank plus customization. So I would go the latter route. I've paid as little as $50 for a blank in great shape, plus another $55 or so for the lettering, but I must admit that my Kings ultrafils are size 44's and would be on the lower-priced side. Like The Dude said, some of the larger-sized ones would fetch higher prices, but I still don't think a larger blank would run you more than $150. So after customization, depending on which size you need, the whole thing might run anywhere from just over $100 to possibly just over $200. But if you're asking about an authentic double-tagged CCM, that's a different story. Those seem to have asking prices of around $200 more than the standard ones.

Oh, my bad. I could have sworn he was Alternate for the first few years after the trade. Yeah, the ones that are already done up command a higher price, for sure. I guess they think people don't want to go through the trouble. BTW, are there any customizers out there that can do these 90s Kings jerseys? EPS? CES?

Keener does the best work I've seen on Kings ultrafils, any season. I've never seen a CES job, but EPS has slight inaccuracies in both the letters and numbers.

Keener does the best work I've seen on Kings ultrafils, any season. I've never seen a CES job, but EPS has slight inaccuracies in both the letters and numbers.

I second that motion...