Customizing jerseys w/ old names

FlyersHockey1967

Say you took an rbk authentic jersey of a team you like, and wanted to get it customized with an old name that played in that uniform. But the problem is that their career was before the tag was moved under the neck and long before rbk started making them. Knowing that it wouldn't be historically accurate with the tags, would you still do it?

For instance, say I bought a black Flyers rbk authentic and I wanted to get Hextall on it. The thing is that he retired before the tags were moved under the neck and rbk was used. Should I still do it knowing that the tags are inaccurate and would bug me every time I saw it? I want everyone's take on this topic.

Say you took an rbk authentic jersey of a team you like, and wanted to get it customized with an old name that played in that uniform. But the problem is that their career was before the tag was moved under the neck and long before rbk started making them. Knowing that it wouldn't be historically accurate with the tags, would you still do it?

For instance, say I bought a black Flyers rbk authentic and I wanted to get Hextall on it. The thing is that he retired before the tags were moved under the neck and rbk was used. Should I still do it knowing that the tags are inaccurate and would bug me every time I saw it? I want everyone's take on this topic.

If the player didn't wear the jersey style/brand in a game like Hextall never played in a Reebok jersey for the Flyers, I wouldn't do it.

I agree with Victim here, while I'm not as big of a stickler for the exact jersey brand as him, my rule of thumb is that if the jersey was tagged on the neck (so 2000-2001) or after, and jersey I do must be accurate to that (brand not so much, since they started putting CCM tags on KOHO jerseys, you can't always find what you want). However, I would be willing to make an exception, if it was the Alternate jersey he never wore. Since that jersey was only during the neck tag ear, if you went with that I'd give you a pass, but thats about it. I realize that is still taboo, but I've seen people do it to their favorite players before, so its kind of a cool idea.

I feel the same way. I'm extremely uptight about customizing inaccurate jersey types BUT it's your jersey and you can do whatever you wish! If you want to do it then go for it. But before you do it, check out eBay first. You never know; you might get lucky.

I feel the same way. I'm extremely uptight about customizing inaccurate jersey types BUT it's your jersey and you can do whatever you wish! If you want to do it then go for it. But before you do it, check out eBay first. You never know; you might get lucky.

The only exception I'll make is that I'm going to get a new set of Forsberg Avalanche jerseys (all 3) and he wasn't on the Aves when RBK made the jerseys.

I'm admittedly less hardcore about having the exact jersey brand for a player than anyone here on the board. I patch my jerseys whenever I can and it doesn't bother me one bit to have a 1997 Cup Finals patch on a CCM Red Wings jersey than a Nike like they actually wore that year, as long as it is from the same era and the striping template of the jersey is accurate for the year I'm patching it for. For example, I do try to draw the line at having the CCM tagging down at the waist instead of up on the neck.

So, the answer to your question is no, I would try to locate a CCM vintage line if they made the Flyers style you want or at least just search ebay for an older Flyers jersey with the tagging down at the waist rather than use a jersey that is clearly from a different time period that what you are trying to replicate.

JeffB

I wouldn't put Hextall on a Reebok jersey. A CCM jersey (tagged at waist) is the way to go. You can occasionally find one on ebay. I doubt the average fan will care, however, but are we average fans? :noway:

Does anyone know if Hextall wore this style with the silver NHL shield on the hemline?

936d_1.JPG

EDIT: Crap. According to nhluniforms.com, he retired before they used the silver shield.

yes, he did. But you can also go for a Nike jersey

If you're going to be off by one year and the jersey is identical except for what you pointed out and the manufacturer is still the same and I'm overusing the word, 'and', and the price is right, do it. I'm sure other people did and it will grate at you until you're wearing Hextall27 on your back. And who is going to see you wear that and say, 'Hextall didn't wear that jersey'? Probably no one. Most people don't pay attention to details like that. OK, WE do here B) .

I'd say go for that, its such a small detail people wont notice. Its not like a RBK patch on the neck, its where it should be, and its an old NHL logo, very few will know thats a 1999-2000 jersey.

I know that the average fan wouldn't know the difference, but it would bug me endlessly. But still, it would be a great pickup; after all, I haven't seen any other 1999-2000 Flyers jersey on sale before.

Since my first Nike Hextall is extremely huge, I've been thinking of picking up another one that's smaller, so I really want to get this one right.

Well unless any of you can find me "Forsberg era" Avalanche authentics, in size 46, for the home, road and alternate styles, I'm still just putting Forsberg on RBK authentics. <_<

(If I could find them in my size, in the correct style, I'd get them, but I doubt that's going to happen...)

Well unless any of you can find me "Forsberg era" Avalanche authentics, in size 46, for the home, road and alternate styles, I'm still just putting Forsberg on RBK authentics. <_<

(If I could find them in my size, in the correct style, I'd get them, but I doubt that's going to happen...)

Hey, if you want it to be accurate with the rbk tag, you could always put him on a Flyers jersey. :D

I've got a similar question, only backwards to Flyers problem. I have an authentic KOHO Canucks Alt that was worn from 2002-2006. It is the jersey that means the most to me, as my dad bought bought it when NHL.com was having an amazing sale where most authentics were like $50. Having got me Oilers 3rd and Thrashers 3rd for Christmas, my parents decided not to give me the Canucks jersey, as they werent able to get something for my brother of equal value. At the time my dad had cancer and told my mom to hang on to the jersey and give it to me at some other time. Four months later he died, and as I was getting ready to back to school after the funeral, my mom gave me the jersey, and told me the story.

Originally it had always been a plan to make it into a Naslund, maybe Linden jersey as those were two of my favorite on the team when they were my favorite team. Recently I've been leaning toward making it a Jozef Balej jersey, who only played 1 game for the Canucks (so far) and I don't beleive wore that alt jersey, but could be wrong (I cant find a picture of him from his one game). He is a former Winter Hawk and my dad used to take me to games when he played here, which is where the tie-in occurs. The only problem is Balej played for the Canucks in 2006, when they wore RBK jerseys, not KOHO. If this were a replica, I wouldn't be so hesitant to put his name on a KOHO jersey(I do it with CCM Dark jerseys and from 2005 on you have to use non RBK replicas), but since it is authentic, it seems like the tag should match the year more. I was gonna buy another version of the jersey so I could do both, but decided I need to draw the line somewhere. What do you guys think? Is it cool to put a player who wore an RBK jersey on a KOHO authentic?

Hey, if you want it to be accurate with the rbk tag, you could always put him on a Flyers jersey. :D

I've got an RBK Forsberg black Flyers sweater with the "C", but he wasn't my "hero" when he was with the Flyers; Forsberg of 96-2001 was the best player *I've* ever seen play the game of hockey and the only player you could ever say I truly "worshipped". That's why I'd throw down the money for a set of all 3 Avs authentics in one purchase.

I've got a similar question, only backwards to Flyers problem. I have an authentic KOHO Canucks Alt that was worn from 2002-2006. It is the jersey that means the most to me, as my dad bought bought it when NHL.com was having an amazing sale where most authentics were like $50. Having got me Oilers 3rd and Thrashers 3rd for Christmas, my parents decided not to give me the Canucks jersey, as they werent able to get something for my brother of equal value. At the time my dad had cancer and told my mom to hang on to the jersey and give it to me at some other time. Four months later he died, and as I was getting ready to back to school after the funeral, my mom gave me the jersey, and told me the story.

Originally it had always been a plan to make it into a Naslund, maybe Linden jersey as those were two of my favorite on the team when they were my favorite team. Recently I've been leaning toward making it a Jozef Balej jersey, who only played 1 game for the Canucks (so far) and I don't beleive wore that alt jersey, but could be wrong (I cant find a picture of him from his one game). He is a former Winter Hawk and my dad used to take me to games when he played here, which is where the tie-in occurs. The only problem is Balej played for the Canucks in 2006, when they wore RBK jerseys, not KOHO. If this were a replica, I wouldn't be so hesitant to put his name on a KOHO jersey(I do it with CCM Dark jerseys and from 2005 on you have to use non RBK replicas), but since it is authentic, it seems like the tag should match the year more. I was gonna buy another version of the jersey so I could do both, but decided I need to draw the line somewhere. What do you guys think? Is it cool to put a player who wore an RBK jersey on a KOHO authentic?

Ahh..Balej was a Habs draft pick i believe.

I dont believe it should be an issue to collectors to put any players name on any era jersey.

If you are trying to accomplish a "game worn" vibe and are looking for complete accuracy than i guess there would be some naysayers.

Villa

A few years ago I really didn't care, but now I would probably be more inclined to try and get it right.

I tend to agree with you here. Normally I wouldn't be so picky, like take Mach's example with Forsberg and the Avs Rbk authentics, but if it comes to say putting Ricci 9# on an Avalanche Rbk authentic, then no way. I ran into this issue with Keith Jones actually, I was wanting to put Jones 11# on the back of one of my Avs jerseys, with the CCM tag under the neck, but he was with the team when they used Starter, plus the different shaded fabric. I still may put him on there, but may lean towards another player. I'm undecided on that one.

Here's another question for you all...

I'll use the Blues Paul Kariya for this one. Rumour has it the Blues are altering their designs a little bit on the new jerseys. Now say you buy a CCM 550 replica and want to put Kariya 9# on it (he wore that particular style in the press conference), but he'll only wear the newer style for the games. How do you approach that one?

Yup and if the new Buffalo Sabres jerseys from last season are any indication, some will be on wait lists for a LONG TIME.

Now that Reebok has put the kabosh on Michael Vick jerseys, the company can redirect their energy to manufacturing hockey jerseys. I hope they will.

Now that Reebok has put the kabosh on Michael Vick jerseys, the company can redirect their energy to manufacturing hockey jerseys. I hope they will.

LOL. You're funny Rat. The lack of Vic jerseys only means more Oden Jerseys sooner not hockey. You know when the run out of NFL and NBA (yeah, I know they are adidas, but I'm assuming it all comes from the same spot) and they have get to hockey jerseys the crew hangs their heads in disappointment!

Just Sports at Westgate has more Michael Vick jerseys than you could imagine these days!

And Nike has a HUGE stock pile of Vick sneakers. When this first came out I was wondering if they were going to hold on to them and wait for the verdict, but now I'd be willing to bet they end up giving them to 3rd world nations like the shirts and hats that are made up for the team that doesn't win the championship.