Jersey Prices

SteveNJ

I personally think we need to find a cheaper alternative to the authentic sweaters while still making fans feel like a part of the team. For diehard fans, even wearing your team's jersey makes you feel a part of your club.

What does everyone here suggest? I think we need to push more of the T-Shirts with name and number on the back, those seem like the most effective, low cost alternative. We definitely have the most expensive of the 4 major sports.

I personally think we need to find a cheaper alternative to the authentic sweaters while still making fans feel like a part of the team. For diehard fans, even wearing your team's jersey makes you feel a part of your club.

What does everyone here suggest? I think we need to push more of the T-Shirts with name and number on the back, those seem like the most effective, low cost alternative. We definitely have the most expensive of the 4 major sports.

All Non-Customized and all in USD

MLB Authentic: $139.99

NHL Authentic: $199.99

NFL Authentic: $259.99 (Note: Name and number already on jersey)

NBA Authentic: $169.99

Of the authentics, the NFL is the most expensive though they like the NBA have 3 different styles. Replicas for the NFL are $75.00 and then there is the midground Replithentics which are about $100.00.

Though the t-shirt idea has been done by some teams, would there be a market for customization on these to ensure you got your favorite player? Customization is the key to the NHL jerseys as you can get the player you like.

I personally would never wear the player t-shirts, but that's just me and I see them on a lot of people whenever I'm in a hockey area. Customization on them would be a good idea, but for me, I'd rather say for the authentic, spend the $250 and get something I really love. I enjoy having what the players have on the ice and I'll pay for it every once in a while. Having a t-shirt would never fulfil the desire to have the authentic jerseys. I like the vintage looking t-shirts they produce today. I'd rather just wear my teams t-shirt than one that immitates the jersey. Although, part of the reason I like the jerseys is that blue and yellow t-shirts are generally never very good looking, but they're not bad on the jerseys.

Yeah, I hear you. Like I said, I see them everywhere, I just won't wear one. I do think the casual guy would look cooler in just a regular maple leafs t-shirt than a t-shirt with Sundin across the back, but that's just my opinion again. I see the market for them, and offer customization on them is definitly a good idea.

I have to ask, assuming Wolf reads this topic eventually, why does Ice Jerseys have some random player jerseys already available on their site, like Pitkanen on the Flyers? I understand the Ovechkin jersey, because of his popularity, but the pre-made Pitkanens are a bit confusing.

I personally think prices for everything could afford to go down a little, particularly in the Hat section. But for now, and for the people the NHL Is marketing to, the diehard fan will fork it over.

I personally think prices for everything could afford to go down a little, particularly in the Hat section. But for now, and for the people the NHL Is marketing to, the diehard fan will fork it over.

Pretty much the truth and with 2 teams completely changing their looks this year, that will just drive fans of those teams to get more since many have to have the newest look at all times for their team.

Pretty much the truth and with 2 teams completely changing their looks this year, that will just drive fans of those teams to get more since many have to have the newest look at all times for their team.

As much as I'd like to see the prices go down, I love the quality of the current authentic jersey and wouldn't want to see it go down as a result of decreased prices. I'm happy with the price of t-shirts, and I don't really wear hats at all, but I cansee how anyone would feel they're over priced.

Again, I'd love to see the prices go down for the jerseys overall, but with the quality they're currently at, especilly with the customization being done well, I'm happy to pay it for the occasional jersey. It keeps the jerseys special, in my mind. If I could afford more they would lose their value in my mind. I wouldn't be as proud of my authentics if they were easier for me to get my hands on.

Well you could buy a replica and tape a piece of paper with a name, take another piece of paper and write a number. That's savings. :) j/k

I played a baseball game the same way once. Our jerseys were late arriving from the company we ordered them from but league rules stipulated that we had to have numbers on our shirts, so we got some electrical tape and taped numbers to the back of our shirts.

I played a baseball game the same way once. Our jerseys were late arriving from the company we ordered them from but league rules stipulated that we had to have numbers on our shirts, so we got some electrical tape and taped numbers to the back of our shirts.

Yep, we used to put numbers on our practice sweaters with hockey tape for scrimmages and such.

There is a cheaper alternative to the authentics - replicas, which are under $100. The new replicas that Wolf reported about, however, may be what you're wishing for, but I don't know what they'll be priced at.

The t-shirts with the players name and number are OK, provided it's the same lettering font and base color used. Hats should top out at $20 and should be made to fit a large head, like up to size 8.

Right now jersey prices are way too high, for both authentic as well as replica. If you decide to go the extra mile and get the pro stiching of numbers and letters you are looking at over $300 CAD. Just look at the IJ site's prices for the OLD Ducks replica jerseys $85 CAD :huh:. Why would I pay almost the full price for a discontinued jersey? If you shop around you will be able to find decent deals either on eBay or other stores. I found the old Ducks replica jerseys on sale for $50 CAD at a local jersey store. It would be interesting to see what IJ think of this topic?

^I can understand that definitely, if the team isn't wearing it night in and night out (meaning main home and away) then the jersey should be much cheaper.

In my opinion, if Icejerseys had free shipping and 10% off Authentics..that is reasonable to me for pricing. But I would not want to see cheaper prices coming out and sacrificing quality.

^I can understand that definitely, if the team isn't wearing it night in and night out (meaning main home and away) then the jersey should be much cheaper.

In my opinion, if Icejerseys had free shipping and 10% off Authentics..that is reasonable to me for pricing. But I would not want to see cheaper prices coming out and sacrificing quality.

I know I would tend to check out the deals they used to advertise in The Hockey News and sometimes would take advantage of those offers.

I know I would tend to check out the deals they used to advertise in The Hockey News and sometimes would take advantage of those offers.

As long as there are good sales every once in a while I'm happy. I can't see the prices going down and the quality remaining the same and I have no desire to see the quality decrease. It isn't something that a place like Ice Jerseys seems to be able to help any either. Even though the jerseys are made at a fraction of the price that they sell for, they need to be sold at a certain rate in order for the vendors to stay competitive and such. I don't really know who sets the average market price, but I don't see any significant changes, besides those outlined in the future of the jersey thread coming any time soon.

As long as there are good sales every once in a while I'm happy. I can't see the prices going down and the quality remaining the same and I have no desire to see the quality decrease. It isn't something that a place like Ice Jerseys seems to be able to help any either. Even though the jerseys are made at a fraction of the price that they sell for, they need to be sold at a certain rate in order for the vendors to stay competitive and such. I don't really know who sets the average market price, but I don't see any significant changes, besides those outlined in the future of the jersey thread coming any time soon.

I agree completely, quality is the first priority.

As for the prices, icejerseys is right around the market price as a whole so there are no complaints from me. The sales they have had and the coupons that were offered were always enough to make it where if I had the finances, I would have taken advantage of almost each and every one that was offered.

I agree completely, quality is the first priority.

As for the prices, icejerseys is right around the market price as a whole so there are no complaints from me. The sales they have had and the coupons that were offered were always enough to make it where if I had the finances, I would have taken advantage of almost each and every one that was offered.

Yeah... it's unfortunate how much money is a factor. I've got one jersey coming and unless I stumble across some extra money via unforeseen savings, the budget just doesn't allow for another one for quite a while. There are so many purchases I'd love to make (not even in terms of jerseys alone) that I just can't afford to, so I try to prioritize and settle for the random moments in life where it turns out I can afford something that isn't too practical. Hopefully there are more in the future.

I guess it's time for me to weigh in on this subject. Pricing of jerseys is something that we really don't have much control of in retail. First of all, we buy the jerseys wholesale at pretty much the same cost as everybody else. Since CCM/RBK has a monopoly on NHL jerseys, it isn't like we can shop around with different manufacturers for the best price/deal. It is basically, 'this is the jersey, this is your cost' and we have to run our business on that. I wish we could sell the jerseys for less than we do - if our cost was lower, we could sell for less, but probably the massive increase in volume would more than make up for the lower retail price, so we would do much better with lower priced jerseys. However, that isn't the case.

So, why don't we just put the jerseys on sale and sell them at lower margins? Well, nevermind the fact that it just isn't good business practice to lower your margins unless absolutely necessary (eg high supply, low demand), and although we would probably have the NHL and RBK and other big retailers all over us if we started to regularly low-ball the selling price on jerseys, we wouldn't really be doing anyone any favors. First of all, by doing that, we start to devalue the NHL brand, which is a brand that is just starting to re-build its value and appeal in the sports marketplace. By selling a jersey at $69 dollars, we are sending a message to everyone that the jerseys, the league, the NHL product is a discount, low-quality, low value product. In the end, this hurts the league, the players and ultimately the fans - who may enjoy getting a quick deal on a jersey, but won't appreciate when the league is continually ridiculed in the media as a second-rate sport with less fan interest than arena football or figure skating.

True hockey fans know that there is no greater sport, no greater league, no greater athletes (as players and as human beings), and no greater apparel than what the NHL has to offer. So, when you create value for a brand, people understand (and almost expect) to pay for it. It certainly happens with the big fashion brands, so why is it not appropriate with great sports brands. If you want a $29 hockey jersey that doesn't have a great logo and story attached to it, there are plenty of opitions out there. But if you want to wear an awesome quality jersey, bearing the logos and colors of an NHL team, and experience that emotional connect to that brand... why is it unreasonable to charge a price that is well within the market value?

This is further supported by the fact that we cannot keep jerseys on the shelves. Based on the huge demand and low supply right now, we could even argue that jerseys are underpriced... but we understand that there is still a threshold that needs to be respected. However, with the current price of jerseys, if we are overcharging for NHL product so much, then why is it that we just can't keep them in stock? Is it becasue all NHL fans are big suckers, and are willing to throw away their money on a poor quality item? Although some may believe that's true, it isn't. It is because those who care about the league, those who have an emotional attachment to a team, or a player, understand the emotional connect and sense of pride and fulfillment they get by wearing that team or player's jersey proudly on their chest. It is a sense of belonging, and people recognize the value offering. Consumers are not stupid - as a whole, you can't con them into paying more for something if they don't feel it has value worthy of that price. So, we therefore feel quite confident that jersey pricing is pretty much where it has to be in the marketplace, according to the current high demand and low supply scenario. I'm sure that you can all agree, that the one who walks into a store, or goes to a website and freaks out at the cost of a jersey, is the one who really doesn't have an involvement or understanding of the game. When a fan who understands the game, and has an emotional involvement in the game sees that same price, he is much more likely to accept it, because he knows the value proposition.

That is a great, thorough response Wolf. The importance of the connection that you discussed is an idea that I should have hit on and brought into this conversation earlier on. Nothing could be more accurate. In truth, whiel I wish jersey were cheaper (or I was richer) so that I could afford many more of them, I feel a sense of pride when looking for an authentic of my favorite players and knowing that they are no cheap items. I love going to a game and wearing an authentic jersey, of excellent quality and knowing what I paid for it. Not because I can point to the guy in just a t-shirt, or a replica, or even a knock off and say "ha! I'm better/wealthier/cooler than he is" but because I can say "I am a fan".

I am willing to pay the price to support my sport, my team, and my players. I know it is a price we can't all pay - I can only afford it once in a while - far less frequently than I'd like - and I don't view anyone as being less of a fan for not having a jersey to wear, let alone an authentic, but I am lucky enough to be able to afford one now and again, and there is a feeling that comes with wearing a beautifully customized, fully authentic sweater to a game that just cannot be beat and certainly would not exist if the jerseys were significantly cheaper. It's hard to explain. It isn't a superiority thing, but it most certainly has something to do with pride. The sense of pride I feel when I put on that jersey is wonderful. It's like suiting up for the team. I'll throw on a jersey to watch a game at home, and I won't go to the stadium without wearing one. When my team takes the ice, I wear the same thing they wear and I feel a surge of pride and energy at knowing that in some small way, I am supporting something that I care a great deal about. I think it's something that only a true hockey fan, like the guys we have here on these forums, can understand.

Wolf spells it out very well, but I'll add that quality jerseys are not cheap, period. Let's take the other sports, baseball, football and basketball follow the approximate $80 replica, $200 authentic MSRP's, too. I'm guessing that the prices are reflective of the cost of the licensing costs involved. I can't argue with anyone who says, "jerseys cost too much", not because I agree with them, but because I believe it's impossible to convince someone otherwise. Of course, I wish they cost less. I'd buy more if they did, but nobody is making anyone buy jerseys. The consumer chooses to buy them and if they were priced lower, the quality would probably reflect that. I have dozens of jerseys and I never complain about price. I always try to take advantage of the discounts offered, like the free s/h on $100 purchase or the 10% off promotion last month.

Wolf spells it out very well, but I'll add that quality jerseys are not cheap, period. Let's take the other sports, baseball, football and basketball follow the approximate $80 replica, $200 authentic MSRP's, too. I'm guessing that the prices are reflective of the cost of the licensing costs involved. I can't argue with anyone who says, "jerseys cost too much", not because I agree with them, but because I believe it's impossible to convince someone otherwise. Of course, I wish they cost less. I'd buy more if they did, but nobody is making anyone buy jerseys. The consumer chooses to buy them and if they were priced lower, the quality would probably reflect that. I have dozens of jerseys and I never complain about price. I always try to take advantage of the discounts offered, like the free s/h on $100 purchase or the 10% off promotion last month.

Also well put. Again, I agree whole heartedly.

I agree but somewhat disagree. IceJerseys is a major player, if they wanted to trim $10 dollars off their jerseys, the others would eventually follow. The way I see it you have a small group of major players in the jersey industry. If one of them drops prices the others will follow but no one wants to be the first to do it. Kind of like the auto industry. An oligopoly meaning they stand together on pricing but remain as competitive as possible.

I will not argue towards prices I have happily forked out the money even though it's a lot but I'll be proud of it and wear it more then most of my other clothes so it's worth will show down the road with help from quality too of course.

WHat I absolutelt agree on is the high demand and low supply..why would you lower prices? That would be ridiculous and just create a greater shortage of the product. And then customer service drops, complaints increase and business motto could be tarnished.