That awesome feeling you get when you Photomatch!

khabbi

I think we all know that feeling... finally getting that photo that shows the wear on the jersey you have in your collection!! And I actually hate it when a Jersey I have has no good points to look for a match (but I'll take those anyways).

What's your best Photomatch? My 2003-204 Khabibulin game worn Lightning playoff year Bauer Vapor Blocker was the most exciting. Recently speaking, however, I photomatched my Lightning 3rd Alex Tanguay to 6-7 pictures of good action shots. I also matched a playoff home Stralman that I recently acquired. Good feeling.

Any good ones on your end recently?

That Deadmarsh jersey is sick! #want

That's because you're probably just seeing samples. I could be wrong, but I don't think Getty gives access to full res images for free.

Yeah, that makes sense. I may have to pay Getty for the high res image then. Would really like to get this Chris Kelly gamer matched.

If you do that, let us know how it goes. I've looked into ordering pics from them before (jerseys and otherwise), and the prices are so obscene that I end up finding an alternative. Plus, in some cases, it didn't even look like a licensed version would be high-resolution, just high-priced.

I never went straight through Getty, but if you want a really nice print of anything at full res, a website called photofile can do it pretty reasonably. I had glass seats to a devils game 2 years ago that they won in OT, and the players celebrated right in front of me. Turns out a Getty photographer got me and my sister in the shot and I had to have it.

I think it cost me $26 for a 16x20 poster quality print. Might be nice if you have a gamer you want to display.

• 3 weeks later...

I never went straight through Getty, but if you want a really nice print of anything at full res, a website called photofile can do it pretty reasonably. I had glass seats to a devils game 2 years ago that they won in OT, and the players celebrated right in front of me. Turns out a Getty photographer got me and my sister in the shot and I had to have it.

I think it cost me $26 for a 16x20 poster quality print. Might be nice if you have a gamer you want to display.

That's awesome!!

• 7 months later...

So bringing this one back

Does this count as a photomatch?

This is the best I could do on this jersey.

The press fold on the sleeve shown below on said jersey

20161114_213826_zpsxajkazzj.jpg

Seems to match the right sleeve in this photo

ramagermonph001.jpg

Does that count??

Just my opinion, but I think that may be kind of pushing it a bit.  It could very well be the same fold, yes, but I imagine that since all jerseys are heat-pressed during the lettering process, a straight crease might be a common enough thing so as not to be a definitive marker.  So it's consistent with the photo, but just IMO not distinctive enough to be called a photomatch.

What about that smudge on the white stripe, below the Coupe Stanley patch?  Any sign of it?

Edited by LAK74

HM brought up a fascinatingly different side to this topic.  Everyone's been posting pictures of slam-dunk photomatches, but what about the opposite- what jerseys do you have, where you have to look REALLY hard to see the tiniest details, of which one alone wouldn't qualify as a match, but there are enough of these small details to make you sure beyond a doubt that you have a photomatch?

I have a few of these, and I'll share one of them, a Matt Greene Kings home from 2010:

IMG_6663_zpsdyvf16g8.png
IMG_6664_zpsxvyfiruh.jpg
IMG_6665_zpsx14nnwud.jpg
IMG_6666_zps84wwxhme.jpg

The right sleeve #2 has 5 loose threads, which you can barely make out in the game photo, plus a small burn next to the shoulder patch.

There are three spots in the center of the alternate captain A where a thread was stitched over onto an adjacent twill layer, which show up as tiny blobs in the game photo.

There's not much wear on this jersey, and on top of that it's black, so I never thought I'd be able to photomatch it, but I'm positive this is the same jersey in the game photos.

No the smudge appears to have been washed out.

The only reason i pointed out the crease was that it does appear to go up the sleeve like mine does.

There are some fraying on the crest but those don't show in the photo thus it could have happened later.  I am not sure what game this photo was taken.  He only played 8 games with the Habs so this one is difficult.

In the original Getty image, it looks like there may be an even longer crease in the left upper arm, extending past the arm stripes, with what might be a dark smudge close to the upper white stripe.  Any sign of that?

Since Ramage came to the team at the end of the season and didn't play in the Cup Final, it's very likely he only had one road jersey ever (well, at least for the regular season, if the Habs used a new set for the playoffs), and yours would have to be it.

The Getty caption says the game was against the Bruins, so if this is correct, it would probably have to have been taken on March 25, 1993.

Edited by LAK74

In the same boat myself. I am trying to match this 2016 Playoff GW Seabrook jersey. All I can find are matches on the fold marks on the back lower portion and a small mark from the fight strap snap. If anyone has other pics from the games vs. the Blues or any cards I would greatly appreciate it. 

7-5_zpsvi7xqc6z.jpg

image_zps6vrs3hji.jpeg

4 hours ago, LAK74 said:

In the original Getty image, it looks like there may be an even longer crease in the left upper arm, extending past the arm stripes, with what might be a dark smudge close to the upper white stripe.  Any sign of that?

Since Ramage came to the team at the end of the season and didn't play in the Cup Final, it's very likely he only had one road jersey ever (well, at least for the regular season, if the Habs used a new set for the playoffs), and yours would have to be it.

The Getty caption says the game was against the Bruins, so if this is correct, it would probably have to have been taken on March 25, 1993.

Well mine does have the crease on the left arm as well.  There is an unrepaired hole on the left arm but that is not visible in the photo.

Now excuse my blindness, but what smudge are you seeing on the left arm?

I can see shadows because of how the jersey is resting on his arm but that is it

And the March 25th game would have been his second of 5 regular season road games with the team

Edited by HockeyMusic

Well, 2 creases are a lot more definitive than 1, so that's great!  The spot I saw is probably just an artifact, but I can see it in the original Getty photo, but not in the version you posted.  It's a dark mark very near the intersection where the left sleeve crease meets the upper white sleeve stripe- it's on the outer side of the sleeve crease (the side facing away from him).  Is this the same location that the sleeve hole is in?

Edited by LAK74

1 hour ago, HockeyMusic said:

And the March 25th game would have been his second of 5 regular season road games with the team

Which might help to explain why the jersey looks so clean in the photo... :)

Photomatching to creases is a little out there for me. In fact, the creases in that Seabrook posted above don't really look like matches to me.

Its way too subjective, even more so then trying to do it with a tiny black mark. And, of course, easier to fake. 

5 hours ago, LAK74 said:

Well, 2 creases are a lot more definitive than 1, so that's great!  The spot I saw is probably just an artifact, but I can see it in the original Getty photo, but not in the version you posted.  It's a dark mark very near the intersection where the left sleeve crease meets the upper white sleeve stripe- it's on the outer side of the sleeve crease (the side facing away from him).  Where is the hole on your jersey?

Here is the hole on the left sleeve, a little bit below the bottom white stripe

20161115_215703_zpsysk9tsvk.jpg