Moral Dilemma

DJ Rhea

Ok so I really, really want a Knights jersey customised as a Marner, a gamer is sadly out the question. However, I can either buy a blank from the Baron, and have him ship it to where ever to get done up.

Very costly.

Or I can find the same jersey on the cheap as a no name gamer, have it stripped (crime) and redone as a Marner.

Downsides to that, someone might think I'm doing it to make a fake Marner gamer, the strip job might not be clean, and I'm left with an awful looking product.

Well I think you laid out the possible outcomes fairly well, its just a matter of:

1) Do you mind defiling a gamer; I personally don't have an issue with that, especially not a minor league one. But people differ on that of course.

2) How much does what people think about whether you are trying to fake a game worn Marner mean to you? Are you planning to keep it forever, in which case its irrelevant. In the event you sell it, it would be fairly easy to state that its not a Marner gamer and exactly what you did (who stripped it, who customized it, you could even provide a "before" picture). Also, I assume you'd not have it priced as if it were a Marner gamer as well.

3) The inherent risk of the stripping process regardless of whether its a gamer. Stripping a jersey is always taking a chance depending on who did the customizing. Would you be happy with a less than perfect job? If not, then spend the money now and get a clean authentic. It would be terrible if you purchased the gamer, stripped it, didn't like the result, had to sell it (potentially at a loss) and then you had to go ahead and buy the blank anyway.

So no real answers for you, because it all depends on you. For me, I don't collect gamers and I like my stuff as clean as possible, I'd spend the money on the blank and have it customized. Of course, paying the higher price would make me think if its something I REALLY need before I went through with it.

I wanted to do the same thing to get a Knight Zadorov #65 jersey to add to my Sabres collection. So, i ended up buying a Jacob Jammes #95 gamer off of eBay, stripped the nameplate off (but kept it), as well as the 9's from the sleeves and back. I ended up sending the jersey and 9's to EPS and had them make a Zadorov nameplate, which they attached and re-attached the 9's as 6's. It came back beautiful...

DSCF1288_zpsrrtzdm1p.jpg

And then he was traded to the Avs in the O'Reilly deal, so i ended up selling it on eBay as an Authentic/Team Issued jersey customized as Zadorov, and gave the full explanation in my listing.

I always get hammered here when I say this, but I have done what you're talking about and if it came down to it I would absolutely do it again. What I want is more important that what somebody on the internet thinks.

That being said, I couldn't buy a blank if what I wanted. How much cheaper do you think you'll be able to get a gamer? And remember your time isn't free, at least not to me when planning these thing out, so I also account for the time spent stripping and cleaning it.

I would have to send it off to an appropriate company for the stripping process, I'd trust no one this side of the pond to do it. A new jersey from the Baron is £220. If I hunted about I think I could find a jersey for less than that. However factoring in stripping and customisation it might equate upto maybe more than the price of a new one anyway.

If you plan on taking it to your grave, then I don't think it's a huge deal (while not the biggest fan of it either).

However, if you think you might sell it down the line, while you will list it as not really a Marner gamer, who knows what the buyer then does. I have seen this happen in the past where someone strips a GI or no-name gamer, sells it with an honest description that it was never worn by said star player, the buyer then later sells it with the dishonest description that it was worn by star player.

I know Meigray has a sort of unwritten policy where if you strip a gamer or GI that has one of their tags in them that you remove the tag and return it back to them.

Edited by Devilsguy

Tbh it's something I wouldn't sell. I buy to keep. Maybe trade if the right deal came up. My biggest fear is the strip job, and how beat up the jersey is. I've probably answered my own questions. I was just garnering others views.

If you plan on taking it to your grave, then I don't think it's a huge deal (while not the biggest fan of it either).

However, if you think you might sell it down the line, while you will list it as not really a Marner gamer, who knows what the buyer then does. I have seen this happen in the past where someone strips a GI or no-name gamer, sells it with an honest description that it was never worn by said star player, the buyer then later sells it with the dishonest description that it was worn by star player.

I know Meigray has a sort of unwritten policy where if you strip a gamer or GI that has one of their tags in them that you remove the tag and return it back to them.

I have never done that when I stripped a Devils GI, I just always say I bought it, who it was before, and that EPS changed it to whoever.

I should consider stripping the MeiGray tag at the time of sale, though I have not seen any of mine pop back up for sale at all, let alone as an actual gamer. But I suppose the potential is there.

I have never done that when I stripped a Devils GI, I just always say I bought it, who it was before, and that EPS changed it to whoever.

I should consider stripping the MeiGray tag at the time of sale, though I have not seen any of mine pop back up for sale at all, let alone as an actual gamer. But I suppose the potential is there.

Yeah then the issue is not you, but the person who bought it from you and how they will represent it if they try to sell it. If it is a GI, then no big deal. But if it is a gamer of a scrub that has wear that was stripped into a Henrique, then the buyer of it might sell it as a Henrique gamer and it is up to the buyer to know gamers well enough to look up the Meigray tag# on the population report.

I bought this Rimouski Crosby a couple years ago. It was game worn by another player, stripped and redone...bought it this way. I don't see an issue with it at all. I actually own a white one as well, that one I plan on stripping and redoing to match this one.

Your issue is a bit different though, with the shipping and all...very expensive.

I think you're right in your approach. Find a cheap gamer and get it redone. If you need help, you can use my address as a shipping point. Let me know, glad to help out.

20151016_155606-1_zpsgmiwu7kp.jpg

20151016_155731-1_zpsgighawvt.jpg

Yeah then the issue is not you, but the person who bought it from you and how they will represent it if they try to sell it. If it is a GI, then no big deal. But if it is a gamer of a scrub that has wear that was stripped into a Henrique, then the buyer of it might sell it as a Henrique gamer and it is up to the buyer to know gamers well enough to look up the Meigray tag# on the population report.

Of course, they could throw some pucks at my GI and do the same...MeiGray's tag is essentially the same, and not all of them are stamped on the fight strap.

I would say just try to snag a pre season gamer and strip it they are relatively cheap. The only problem you would have would be the nameplate. I think they are glued on or heat pressed id have to check mine.

Of course, they could throw some pucks at my GI and do the same...MeiGray's tag is essentially the same, and not all of them are stamped on the fight strap.

Which has been done before too as well as the old sprinkling black tea on the jersey to make it look like blood stains trick.

The tags are usually the same, but different serial #'s. It;s up to the buyer to check those serial #'s against the population report, which there are even collectors who don't know where to find it and don't even know it exists.

I bought this Rimouski Crosby a couple years ago. It was game worn by another player, stripped and redone...bought it this way. I don't see an issue with it at all. I actually own a white one as well, that one I plan on stripping and redoing to match this one.

Your issue is a bit different though, with the shipping and all...very expensive.

I think you're right in your approach. Find a cheap gamer and get it redone. If you need help, you can use my address as a shipping point. Let me know, glad to help out.

20151016_155606-1_zpsgmiwu7kp.jpg

20151016_155731-1_zpsgighawvt.jpg

It's a long term project I have in my mind. Thanks for the offer however I think I'd just have the people send the jersey from place to place. Seller to customiser, as throwing in another address is more shipping. That Crosby does look flawless tbh.

I'm facing a similar dilemma with two GIs, one a Bruins and the other an older Stars alt. The players only played for these teams for a season and were no-names through their careers. I was thinking about stripping both and redoing them with players whose careers I closely followed.

The issue for me is sentimental. I have fun stories attached to both... I'm just wondering if I would be missing the way they originally looked when I acquired them.

I strip game issueds all the time without thinking twice all the time. But that's me, and I do buy them with that intention which makes it easier.

Same here. I'd have zero hesitation about stripping a GI, but it does complicate things a bit if you have some sort of sentimental attachment to it.

All of the GI Devils I bought were Alex Urbom or Pierre-Luc Letourneau (spelling)-Leblond. I can't remember either of them ever having a significant Devils moment so that was an easy decision.

I understand that, some people say that it's OK, some people think it's a sin. Ultimately it's up to the individual.

If the price of the new jersey come close to the price of the game worn, plus the cost of stripping, plus whatever shipping costs are involved, I would go with the new one in your situation.