Edited by Biscuit In The Basket

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I sure hope you're wrong, but they've been pretty noncommittal about the whole thing. Maybe he's burnt out.  It's probably smart not to count on them coming back.

Yeah, I think he’s burned out. AFAIK, he handles most of the vintage stuff personally. It’s gotta be taxing. 

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, I still hate the Flyers with every ounce of my being, but wasn't the early 90's just a great time for hockey jerseys? Very few (if any?) examples of teams whose jerseys look better now than they did then. 

IMHO, with a couple of exceptions here and there, I think the league never looked better than it did from 2003 to 2007.

4 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

IMHO, with a couple of exceptions here and there, I think the league never looked better than it did from 2003 to 2007.

43926032554_24fc278b1a_b.jpg

11 hours ago, Biscuit In The Basket said:

The newest additions. Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in....again.

Beauts of course

I was buying jerseys in the late 80’s and early 90’s, before a lot of the people here. When the Kings went to the black and silver, coinciding with Gretzky, it brought hockey jerseys into the mainstream where they never were. Then the Sharks original teal, and the Mighty Ducks eggplant really accelerated things, especially in the United States. It was truly a quantum leap in visibility for hockey. I even remember reading an article in the business section of USA Today about CCM, and they specifically mentioned those three teams’ jerseys as a reason to watch the company. Then you had the Coyotes, Lightning, Panthers and a slew of interesting minor pro designs like the Solar Bears, Lumberjacks, Ice Dogs, Spiders, Moose, Monarchs (Carolina),  and Bandits, just to name a few. Those were really the golden age of jersey collecting. Multiple manufacturers, good quality replicas, reasonable prices, you could get just about whatever you wanted if you knew who to order from, even before the internet. Once the Edge/Premier design came in, it was game over. Then the dark ages started and IMO we’ve not left it yet, nor will we anytime soon.

13 hours ago, rabinsurance said:

I was buying jerseys in the late 80’s and early 90’s, before a lot of the people here. When the Kings went to the black and silver, coinciding with Gretzky, it brought hockey jerseys into the mainstream where they never were. Then the Sharks original teal, and the Mighty Ducks eggplant really accelerated things, especially in the United States. It was truly a quantum leap in visibility for hockey. I even remember reading an article in the business section of USA Today about CCM, and they specifically mentioned those three teams’ jerseys as a reason to watch the company. Then you had the Coyotes, Lightning, Panthers and a slew of interesting minor pro designs like the Solar Bears, Lumberjacks, Ice Dogs, Spiders, Moose, Monarchs (Carolina),  and Bandits, just to name a few. Those were really the golden age of jersey collecting. Multiple manufacturers, good quality replicas, reasonable prices, you could get just about whatever you wanted if you knew who to order from, even before the internet. Once the Edge/Premier design came in, it was game over. Then the dark ages started and IMO we’ve not left it yet, nor will we anytime soon.

I remember seeing the River City Sports ads in THN that showed the new IHL and AHL jerseys when they were released, and having one of many "Whoa!" moments when looking at them during the mid 1990s.

I'm of the opinion that the best reaction one can get to a new jersey is "whoa!", whether good or bad.  The Monarchs and the Grand Rapids Griffins were the ones that really stood out to me as being terrific designs, the former for various reasons and the latter for both the color and the winged shoulders.

Monopolization is what killed this, and a push from too many people in charge who forget that half of the term "professional sports" is "sports".  It's supposed to be fun!  Baseball is fun!  Hockey is fun!  Football is fun!  Have fun with it!  The idea that team uniforms are supposed to be boring and professional is so antithetical to this that I can't fathom why being bland is so popular.

A shout out to my favorite player when I was young - and his wicked Zalapshot!!!

1992-93 Zarley Zalapski Hartford Whalers Away Jersey Size 54

1992-93 Zarley Zalapski Hartford Whalers Away Jersey Front1992-93 Zarley Zalapski Hartford Whalers Away Jersey Back

A what could have been if not for his back...

1996-97 Eric Daze Chicago Blackhawks Away Jersey Size 52

1996-97 Eric Daze Chicago Blackhawks Away Jersey Front1996-97 Eric Daze Chicago Blackhawks Away Jersey Back

I don't normally post until I have them customized, but I had to share a couple from the 1991 Canada Cup Championship

1991 Canada Cup Team Canada White Jersey Size 52 (This one will become a #28 Larmer)

1991 Canada Cup Team Canada White Jersey Front

1991 Canada Cup Team USA White Jersey Size 48 (This one will become a #17 Roenick)

1991 Canada Cup Team USA White Jersey Front

I NEED 2 OF THE LABATT CANADA CUP PATCHES BAD!!!

Does anyone know what was considered the home and away jerseys since both of the games were played in Canada?

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

I remember seeing the River City Sports ads in THN that showed the new IHL and AHL jerseys when they were released, and having one of many "Whoa!" moments when looking at them during the mid 1990s.

I'm of the opinion that the best reaction one can get to a new jersey is "whoa!", whether good or bad.  The Monarchs and the Grand Rapids Griffins were the ones that really stood out to me as being terrific designs, the former for various reasons and the latter for both the color and the winged shoulders.

Monopolization is what killed this, and a push from too many people in charge who forget that half of the term "professional sports" is "sports".  It's supposed to be fun!  Baseball is fun!  Hockey is fun!  Football is fun!  Have fun with it!  The idea that team uniforms are supposed to be boring and professional is so antithetical to this that I can't fathom why being bland is so popular.

you can say that, but what about the NBA where each team has 7 different jerseys and get new ones every year, how you feel about that?  that is also the opposite of bland 

Edited by Devils4life

17 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

1992-93 Zarley Zalapski Hartford Whalers Away Jersey Size 54

1992-93 Zarley Zalapski Hartford Whalers Away Jersey Back

One of my favorite non-Devils jerseys of all time, with one of my favorite player names of all time. I say it all the time, I got a boring name and there's guys walking around out there named fvcking Zarley Zalapski. 

44 minutes ago, Devils4life said:

you can say that, but what about the NBA where each team has 7 different jerseys and get new ones every year, how you feel about that?  that is also the opposite of bland 

That's not bland, that's just a contrived and transparent money grab.  The worst part of the Cavs' title in 2016 was that they won while wearing uniforms that looked like recycled high school warmups, and Raptors wearing garbage this year with their title.

The NBA's issue is that there is no consistency and no real way of doing things.  The NHL says that a team can wear one style of white jersey and one style of dark jersey during the entirety of the playoffs; the NBA would allow a team to wear five different styles in five NBA Finals games.  Nike leads them around by the nose, and this is what we get.

Edited by Nathan

On 10/9/2019 at 4:35 PM, mfitz804 said:

I mean, I still hate the Flyers with every ounce of my being, but wasn't the early 90's just a great time for hockey jerseys? Very few (if any?) examples of teams whose jerseys look better now than they did then. 

That Tocchet...I don't know if it's the patches on the shoulder, the general boldness of the lettering kit, the "C" or just the whole ensemble...but for the first time ever I pictured myself wearing a jersey with orange on it.  Felt ok.  Then I snapped back to reality.  

But seriously, that model of Flyers jersey might be the best they ever had.

47 minutes ago, blurryhaze said:

That Tocchet...I don't know if it's the patches on the shoulder, the general boldness of the lettering kit, the "C" or just the whole ensemble...but for the first time ever I pictured myself wearing a jersey with orange on it.  Felt ok.  Then I snapped back to reality.  

But seriously, that model of Flyers jersey might be the best they ever had.

Yep. It’s definitely my favorite model. I have 9 of them. Not all with the 25/75 patches, but by far the most common jersey in my collection 😁

Edited by jsh139

6 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Yep. It’s definitely my favorite model. I have 9 of them. Not all with the 25/75 patches, but by far the most common jersey in my collection 😁

How many could you wear at once...

On 10/10/2019 at 9:34 PM, rabinsurance said:

I was buying jerseys in the late 80’s and early 90’s, before a lot of the people here. When the Kings went to the black and silver, coinciding with Gretzky, it brought hockey jerseys into the mainstream where they never were. Then the Sharks original teal, and the Mighty Ducks eggplant really accelerated things, especially in the United States. 

don’t forget about the diagonal ‘Pittsburgh’. When Snoop wore that jersey i feel like they blew up in popularity 

21 hours ago, Nathan said:

I remember seeing the River City Sports ads...  

Wow, that brings me back. Used to get their catalogs in the mail. I’d ask for an authentic jersey for my birthday and Christmas. That’s how my collection began as a kid 

2 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

Wow, that brings me back. Used to get their catalogs in the mail. I’d ask for an authentic jersey for my birthday and Christmas. That’s how my collection began as a kid 

Yup, we always got the catalog and checked out all the jerseys of teams we otherwise would never have known about. 

I still have an Orlando Solar Bears as a result. 

I bought so many jerseys from River City Sports. I thought I was the only weirdo 
Most notably I got my green North Stars from them and a big block CCM Pens without the NHL shield that at the time had me thinking they were selling knock offs until I found this board. 

I think I still have a few of their mailers they sent out. 

Loved that place