Las Vegas... Black Knights?

jsh139

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article, it looks like the unveiling will start at 8:30PM EST.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

From the article, it looks like the unveiling will start at 8:30PM EST.

Exactly. They went to bed too late. 

20 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Poor Bill Foley. It must suck knowing that no matter what he has for a team logo and jersey, it will never ever ever top the original San Jose Sharks look. The NHL should have stopped expanding after the Sharks simply because they reached the top in 1991.

They really did kill it. I remember how many kids were walking around my high school in Sharks jerseys and other gear, kids who didn't even like hockey got caught up in it just because the merch was so awesome. 

I see myself getting one of those vintage Sharks jerseys, one day...

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They really did kill it. I remember how many kids were walking around my high school in Sharks jerseys and other gear, kids who didn't even like hockey got caught up in it just because the merch was so awesome. 

I see myself getting one of those vintage Sharks jerseys, one day...

I had a Sharks hat back in the day.  Loved that thing.  Had an LA Raiders Starter jacket, too.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

I had a Sharks hat back in the day.  Loved that thing.  Had an LA Raiders Starter jacket, too.

Had several Devils Starter jackets back in the day; inside pocket was just large enough for your Discman, but you had to open the side seam of the pocket to plug in the headphones. 

#90sProblems

38 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Same here. I was too poor to afford a jersey though.

Yup, jerseys were completely out of my reach financially back in the day. We're making up for it now, haha. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Had several Devils Starter jackets back in the day; inside pocket was just large enough for your Discman, but you had to open the side seam of the pocket to plug in the headphones. 

#90sProblems

I had a Discman but I didn't carry it around with me much for that very reason. Was way too big for most pockets and even though it had anti-skip technology it skipped pretty easily once things got bumpy. 

12 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I had a Discman but I didn't carry it around with me much for that very reason. Was way too big for most pockets and even though it had anti-skip technology it skipped pretty easily once things got bumpy. 

It actually worked pretty well in that pocket, it just kind of hung there so it was cushioned.

Back then I worked in a store that was part of a company that also owned a sporting goods store, and I got 40% (later 20%) off. I bought every Devils item they got. 

I may also have bought Starter jackets at 40% off and then sold them to people for 20% off, that may have happened. 

32 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

The logo isn't bad but what a cheeseball name. Vegas? Why? Your city is called LAS Vegas; not Vegas. Poop.

Agreed. But it would be too long of a name. In my opinion, they should have kept the Las, dropped the Golden, and just been the Las Vegas Knights. 

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed. But it would be too long of a name. In my opinion, they should have kept the Las, dropped the Golden, and just been the Las Vegas Knights

Ding ding ding ding ding!

There was copyright issues with using just "Knights" hence the golden.  London Knights scamming collectors on game worn jerseys and trolling the NHL with copyright infringement laws.  

3 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

There was copyright issues with using just "Knights" hence the golden.  London Knights scamming collectors on game worn jerseys and trolling the NHL with copyright infringement laws.  

If that is the case they should have done something else. 

I'm sure the U.S. Army will say something since the parachute team is and has been called the "Golden Knights" for decades.

1 minute ago, Dr_Puck said:

Easy. How about the Smiling Bettmans? 

I'm sorry, but he shouldn't be allowed within 500 feet of any grade school, that dude creeps me out.

1 minute ago, LessThanZero said:

I'm sorry, but he shouldn't be allowed within 500 feet of any grade school, that dude creeps me out.

I was going to say this was funny, but I almost left out how incredibly accurate it also is. 

3 minutes ago, LessThanZero said:

I'm sure the U.S. Army will say something since the parachute team is and has been called the "Golden Knights" for decades.

Since they checked the Knights thing, I'm sure they checked Golden Knights also. Owner attended West Point, I'm sure he knows what's up. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Since they checked the Knights thing, I'm sure they checked Golden Knights also. Owner attended West Point, I'm sure he knows what's up. 

Interesting, I did not know that little tidbit of information.  Makes sense then.

Bingo, knew it would at least get the attention of the U.S. Army:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/11/28/one-of-these-knights-army-considers-challenge-of-new-vegas-team/

Found this little gem:

544df73fb4110b12bdb4a42d695b1dd087c3c285

Edited by LessThanZero

5 hours ago, LessThanZero said:

Bingo, knew it would at least get the attention of the U.S. Army:

http://news.sportslogos.net/2016/11/28/one-of-these-knights-army-considers-challenge-of-new-vegas-team/

Found this little gem:

544df73fb4110b12bdb4a42d695b1dd087c3c285

Will be interesting to see what happens. The Army used Golden Knights as a nickname only. It's not an official name. I wonder if they hold a trademark for merch, but even if they do, there's no possibility of confusing the two.

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Will be interesting to see what happens. The Army used Golden Knights as a nickname only. It's not an official name. I wonder if they hold a trademark for merch, but even if they do, there's no possibility of confusing the two.

I'm kind of bitter over the whole Vegas getting a team and not Quebec City. So in a way I hope they do get hammered over the name.  In my opinion the NHL missed out on a huge opportunity to celebrate the 100th anniversary by bringing back a defunct team, but money talks and Vegas has tons of it to flash around.  I wish them all the luck in the world and I'm sure they will do fine.  It will be interesting.....

13 minutes ago, LessThanZero said:

I'm kind of bitter over the whole Vegas getting a team and not Quebec City. So in a way I hope they do get hammered over the name.  In my opinion the NHL missed out on a huge opportunity to celebrate the 100th anniversary by bringing back a defunct team, but money talks and Vegas has tons of it to flash around.  I wish them all the luck in the world and I'm sure they will do fine.  It will be interesting.....

There's something to be said for tapping into a new market with lots of potential that just can't be ignored. It also paves the way for the other 3 major sports to get into Vegas, so it's not just an NHL thing, and I'm sure there was some outside influence there and a bit of nudging from the commissioners and owners of the other leagues.

Just now, CJ Matthews said:

There's something to be said for tapping into a new market with lots of potential that just can't be ignored. It also paves the way for the other 3 major sports to get into Vegas, so it's not just an NHL thing, and I'm sure there was some outside influence there and a bit of nudging from the commissioners and owners of the other leagues.

I agree, I'm just having a one man pity party.  Like I said, I wish them all the luck in the world and will be patiently waiting to see who the take from the Blues, Devils and Red Wings.