NHL Team Customizers

1 hour ago, shilenj said:

Now that it’s summer I’m sending a few more in, including my Isles Stadium Series.  Anyone know what the name plate material was on those?  Was it EDGE?

I’m 99% sure it’s white airknit.  Also saw a gamer on eBay that looks like airknit too.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/goaltender-evgeni-nabokov-of-the-new-york-islanders-looks-news-photo/465802587

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I’m 99% sure it’s white airknit.  Also saw a gamer on eBay that looks like airknit too.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/goaltender-evgeni-nabokov-of-the-new-york-islanders-looks-news-photo/465802587

Looks like airknit to me as well. 

11 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

What kinds of payment does Blake's take?

Cash or money order only.  Call them first to see what your total charge will be and you can include payment with the jersey.  I’ve sent them cash before and have had no problems.  They do a great job and turnaround time right now is about a week!

Edited by shilenj

2 hours ago, shilenj said:

Cash or money order only.  Call them first to see what your total charge will be and you can include payment with the jersey.  I’ve sent them cash before and have had no problems.  They do a great job and turnaround time right now is about a week!

Ugh, I was hoping that something had changed and that they’d started using something electronic. Sending the payment with the jerseys, especially in cash, makes me nervous. 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:45 PM, LAK74 said:

On 7/11/2019 at 10:57 PM, mfitz804 said:

Looks like airknit to me as well. 

Thank you to the both of you.  I spoke with someone at Stitches and it was white airknit.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:49 AM, TheKevinShow said:

Ugh, I was hoping that something had changed and that they’d started using something electronic. Sending the payment with the jerseys, especially in cash, makes me nervous. 

Again, I’ve never had a problem with sending cash to them.  I usually type out instructions and fold the paper up with the cash inside when I send something out.  Or you can always go money order if you feel better about that.

• 4 weeks later...

Some local Vancouver fans who use PCC  say they have never been the team customizer, but they do good work on Canucks jerseys.  They may possibly do retail jobs for the team store, but I still am not convinced they do the on-ice jerseys.

Yeah, just because it says they are clients, it doesn't mean they are the official on-ice customizer.  Keener does retail jerseys for the Preds and Ruberti's was doing a ton of Devils and Caps jerseys the last time I was in there.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Yeah, just because it says they are clients, it doesn't mean they are the official on-ice customizer.  Keener does retail jerseys for the Preds and Ruberti's was doing a ton of Devils and Caps jerseys the last time I was in there.

To my knowledge Ruberti’s does do the Devils retail jerseys and does NOT do the on ice, PX does those. 

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

To my knowledge Ruberti’s does do the Devils retail jerseys and does NOT do the on ice, PX does those. 

Correct. They only do the retails. Same with the Caps. I think EPS still does the on-ice Caps. 

3 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Correct. They only do the retails. Same with the Caps. I think EPS still does the on-ice Caps. 

I think that’s right. 

20 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

http://www.pacificcoastcresting.com/clients.html

Is that good enough confirmation for the Canucks?

PCC does not do any jerseys for the Canucks. He does some special event jerseys, and the ones he sells on eBay and his website, and they are very well done, but he doesn’t have the MIC Adidas or the Edge material if that’s what you’re looking for. That being said, I have had him do all 4 of my MIC Adidas Canucks Jerseys, and I am very happy with them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2016 at 1:49 AM, LAK74 said:

Team Lettering Sources (Current as of 10/01/2018)

Anaheim - A. Dolling (2012-Pres); Monkey Sports (2010-2012); Sublistitch (2008-2010); Cutting Edge Sports West (2005-2008); AIS Custom Uniform (1993-2004)

Atlanta Thrashers - Bobcat Athletic (2009-2011); AIS Custom Uniform (1999-2009)

Arizona/Phoenix – Artcraft Sports Apparel (1996-Pres)

Boston - Custom Crafted (1987-Pres); Stall and Dean (~Mid 1970s)

Buffalo – Exclusive Pro Sports (2016-Pres); Jersey Express/Action Spot Sports (1990's; 2014-2016); Big Bear (2009-2014); SSC Custom Apparel (2002-2009)

Calgary – Great Plains Cresting (2005-Pres)

Carolina – Exclusive Pro Sports (2001-Pres); Custom Crafted (1997-2006)

Chicago – City Sports Lettering (1995-Pres); Gunzo's Sports (1980s)

Colorado –  Exclusive Pro Sports (2018-Pres);  Denver Athletic (2000-18); Cutting Edge Sports (1996-2000)

Columbus - Bobcat Athletic (2009-Pres); Sublistitch (2008-2009); AIS Custom Uniform (2001-08); Cutting Edge Sports (2000-2001)

Dallas - Blake's Sports Lettering (1993-Pres)  

Detroit - Sports Haven Pro Shop (1997-Pres); East Side Team Sports (1985-1997)

Edmonton – Elite Sportswear (1998-Pres); RMC Sports Manufacturing (xx-1998)

Florida – Exclusive Pro Sports (2016-Pres) Cutting Edge Sports (1997?-2016?); East Side Team Sports (1996-97); Potvin Sports (1995-96)

Hartford Whalers - Custom Crafted (1990-1997)

Los Angeles – Bobcat Athletic (2009-Pres); AIS Custom Uniform (1988?-2009)

Minnesota North Stars - Team Choice (1988-1990); Steichen's Sports (1970s-1988, 1991-92)

Minnesota – Exclusive Pro Sports  (2017-Pres); Heritage Embroidery and Design (2012-17); Cunningham's Sports (2000-2012)

Montreal - Cutting Edge Sports (1990s)

Nashville – Exclusive Pro Sports (2014-Pres); John Gray (2011-2014); Cutting Edge Sports (1998-2010)

New Jersey - Philly Express (2017-Pres); Exclusive Pro Sports (2005-2017); Custom Crafted (1989-2004); Gerry Cosby & Co. (1982-1989)

New York Islanders – Stitches NY (2007-Pres); Cutting Edge Sports (1995-2007); Exclusive Pro Sports (2005-06?); Pro Specialty Corp. (1993-95); Syosset Sports (1983?-1989)

New York Rangers – Arena Wear (xx-Pres); Gerry Cosby & Co. (1950s-1990s)

Ottawa – Cutting Edge Sports (1996-2004)

Philadelphia – Philly Express (2010-Pres); Ruberti's (1990s-2010)

Pittsburgh – Pro Knitwear (2011-Pres); Cutting Edge Sports (2000-2011); Century Sports (1980s)

San Jose - Jersey Express/Action Spot Sports (?-Pres); Exclusive Pro Sports (2000s?); Custom Crafted (1991-?)

St. Louis – Liebe Athletic Lettering (2005-Pres); Custom Crafted (1987-2004)

Tampa Bay – Bobcat Athletic (2009-Pres); Cutting Edge Sports (1995?-2008); Pro Specialty Corp. (1993-95?)

Toronto - Sports Lettering Company (2009-Pres)

Vancouver - Cutting Edge Sports & M.P. Embroidery (1997-1998)

Vegas -  Exclusive Pro Sports (2017-Pres)

Washington – Exclusive Pro Sports (2008-Pres); Cutting Edge Sports (1995-2008)

Winnipeg - All Canadian Emblem (2011-Pres)

Is there anyone other than Bobcat you would trust to customize a Blue Jackets Reebok 2.0?  Maybe someone with a shorter turnaround time?

I’ve only had one CBJ jersey lettered (by Bobcat).  It took almost 2 years to get it back, but I’m at least glad it was done accurately.  If I cannot send a jersey to the original team letterer, the 2 customizers I trust the most are Keener and EPS.  Both have a few pics of CBJ jerseys on their websites that they presumably lettered.  I compared them to pictures of gamers, and while both companies’ work looks very good, they were not 100% accurate in the nameplate letters.  

EPS’ letters looked good except for the E, which has a center post which is a bit too long.  They also placed the letters and numbers too close to each other, but this is a common problem for any jersey they letter, not just CBJ’s.  I’m always asking them to pay attention to spacing the letters apart according to the gamer pics I send.  If I send a picture and don’t specifically  mention anything about the spacing, then the letters usually come back too close to each other, lol.

Keener’s letters seemed to have more difference from the gamers.  The O’s are too narrow, and some letters like K’s have diagonal parts with slightly smaller angles.  The bars on the top and bottom of the I’s are too long.  Overall their letters seem just a tad too narrow.

So overall I’d say EPS was a bit more accurate, although the sample size is rather small to be conclusive.  I also think EPS and Bobcat would have Edge material for nameplates, whereas Keener might not.  So it’s up to you to make the comparison yourself (MeiGray has a lot of pictures of recent CBJ gamers) and decide whether a small amount of inaccuracy is worth a potentially big difference in waiting time to you.  By now Bobcat will probably be entering their busy time, so it may be the worst possible time to send them something. 

I didn’t ask!  😄

Thanks for that analysis!  I looked at the sample on the EPS website (Johansen) and I see what you mean about the letter "E."  Fortunately, the names I'm choosing among don't have the letter "E" in them, so I'll probably send it to EPS with a picture of a gamer for spacing purposes.  Two years is a little long 😅.

11 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

I’ve only had one CBJ jersey lettered (by Bobcat).  It took almost 2 years to get it back, but I’m at least glad it was done accurately.  If I cannot send a jersey to the original team letterer, the 2 customizers I trust the most are Keener and EPS.  Both have a few pics of CBJ jerseys on their websites that they presumably lettered.  I compared them to pictures of gamers, and while both companies’ work looks very good, they were not 100% accurate in the nameplate letters.  

EPS’ letters looked good except for the E, which has a center post which is a bit too long.  They also placed the letters and numbers too close to each other, but this is a common problem for any jersey they letter, not just CBJ’s.  I’m always asking them to pay attention to spacing the letters apart according to the gamer pics I send.  If I send a picture and don’t specifically  mention anything about the spacing, then the letters usually come back too close to each other, lol.

Keener’s letters seemed to have more difference from the gamers.  The O’s are too narrow, and some letters like K’s have diagonal parts with slightly smaller angles.  The bars on the top and bottom of the I’s are too long.  Overall their letters seem just a tad too narrow.

So overall I’d say EPS was a bit more accurate, although the sample size is rather small to be conclusive.  I also think EPS and Bobcat would have Edge material for nameplates, whereas Keener might not.  So it’s up to you to make the comparison yourself (MeiGray has a lot of pictures of recent CBJ gamers) and decide whether a small amount of inaccuracy is worth a potentially big difference in waiting time to you.  By now Bobcat will probably be entering their busy time, so it may be the worst possible time to send them something. 

On these forums the general consensus is that when you want to get a jersey done the order is;

Team source

EPS

Keener

everybody else.

1 hour ago, TMLFAN said:

On these forums the general consensus is that when you want to get a jersey done the order is;

Team source

EPS

Keener

everybody else.

I always recommend Keener over EPS (except for EPS teams of course), but yeah, this could basically be a banner at the top of the board.

3 hours ago, furiousd said:

I always recommend Keener over EPS (except for EPS teams of course), but yeah, this could basically be a banner at the top of the board.

Agreed. 

People have a lot more luck with Keener than I have. Twice I’ve tried to contact them about doing a jersey for me and they just never responded. 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

People have a lot more luck with Keener than I have. Twice I’ve tried to contact them about doing a jersey for me and they just never responded. 

It’s because you are a jerk. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Something has happened there. I used to get responses to emails within hours. The box I sent to them this week may be my last. Since this spring, trying to communicate with them gets radio silence. I managed to get some recent communication after chasing them down on Facebook and re-sending emails a few times. I don't think that's reasonable for a customer to have to do. If it weren't for a discount they owe me, I'd have sent to EPS and just bit the turnaround time bullet.

Edited by Van67

Honestly I've used Keener once and I wasn't that impressed. I sent him my stadium series Leafs and asked him to reuse the nameplate when making it a Marner. I specified (with a picture of gamer) to leave the space on both sides like the Leafs do. Instead, he cut it right against the letters. The nameplate was more than long enough to accommodate this. See pictures below (top was Keener's and bottom is after I got it fixed)

48650351432_e5f42c7fd0_z.jpg

Simple ask in my opinion and just a complete lack of following details. I understand customizers are busy, however given the reputation of his business, disappointing to see this small detail not followed.

Edited by Phil the Thrill