The Current Situation of the Secondary Market

flyhighguys94

Prices are also a little higher than some impulse buyers are willing to pay. I figured Edge stock would drop in price but a year after they were discontinued they remain static. I bought a couple more because I was done waiting but they're not really changing.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dr_Puck

So ... two out of three comments in response to my post are completely useless. No wonder IJ is becoming a dustbin! 

And Parrot, I agree. Some of the prices have not come down much on blank Edges. For me to move some of my old customized ones though, I have had to drop prices way down past loss-level. 

Edited by Dr_Puck

15 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I have had to drop prices way down past loss-level. 

42111453302_c96cb0024e_b.jpg

Mharolde, don’t be a PM tough guy. If you have something to say, say it in front of everyone. 

And thanks but I’m fine not leaving this message board. 

Regarding prices in the hobby, I still stand what I said early in this thread where the only stuff getting much activity is either high end stuff or bargain bin junk.  Everything else is lost in the din of the hobby and getting killed.  Over saturation definitely plays a part, but you also have the hobby at the mercy of a market that goes beyond us hardcore collectors where Vegas jerseys go for thousands for scrubs and career AHL player jerseys often go for more establish NHL players.  We got our wish when we asked for the hobby to get bigger and now we are feeling the effects of it getting almost too big/commercial.  It is what it is.

As for this place being a dustbin, I don't think a few jokes is what's doing it.  I've   checked out this place in the past year where the last post in this forum was from at least 24 hours ago.  It's just how message boards are these days.  A Devils fan message board I am apart of gets maybe 1/4 of the activity it got 5-6 years ago.  Gameworn.net and .us forums are barren deserts as well.  Hobby talk has mostly shifted to FB and Reddit these days.  I guess the ease of joining and use are the biggest factors, but overall message boards are just a dying medium.

19 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Regarding prices in the hobby, I still stand what I said early in this thread where the only stuff getting much activity is either high end stuff or bargain bin junk.  Everything else is lost in the din of the hobby and getting killed.  Over saturation definitely plays a part, but you also have the hobby at the mercy of a market that goes beyond us hardcore collectors where Vegas jerseys go for thousands for scrubs and career AHL player jerseys often go for more establish NHL players.  We got our wish when we asked for the hobby to get bigger and now we are feeling the effects of it getting almost too big/commercial.  It is what it is.

As for this place being a dustbin, I don't think a few jokes is what's doing it.  I've   checked out this place in the past year where the last post in this forum was from at least 24 hours ago.  It's just how message boards are these days.  A Devils fan message board I am apart of gets maybe 1/4 of the activity it got 5-6 years ago.  Gameworn.net and .us forums are barren deserts as well.  Hobby talk has mostly shifted to FB and Reddit these days.  I guess the ease of joining and use are the biggest factors, but overall message boards are just a dying medium.

I think ease of joining is a pretty big factor too. The hockeyjerseys subreddit is super active. There's at least 10-15 new posts a day on there, but the quality of information is still much greater here. You see a ton of mail day posts. Maybe it's because it's easier to share images on reddit.

28 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

As for this place being a dustbin, I don't think a few jokes is what's doing it.  

Wait so I’m NOT ruining the board? Are you certain?

2 hours ago, gwarjis said:

I think ease of joining is a pretty big factor too. The hockeyjerseys subreddit is super active. There's at least 10-15 new posts a day on there, but the quality of information is still much greater here. You see a ton of mail day posts. Maybe it's because it's easier to share images on reddit.

I've yet to join Reddit only because I would go nuts with the incredible amount of misinformation I already see on there and thus I would get downvoted to oblivion.  Add to the fact that most of the jersey talk on there is more authentic/replica geared and not game worn tends to keep me away.

Also if you want to see another great example of where the hobby is, someone in one of the FB groups posted a screenshot of a Vegas Nate Schmidt autographed puck whose bid is now up to $850.  It's not a game or practice used puck, just a puck with a Vegas logo and his autograph.  Meanwhile I can't even get half that for a game worn photomatched jersey of a player who is closing in on 1000 games and 500 points in the NHL.

It's a buyers market right now, and no one is in a hurry to buy anything.  This past weekend I sold my first jersey in a long time and I lost $50 on it, but was happy to move ANYTHING at this point. 

I had 2 other jerseys get offers and when I counteroffered, the bidders just ignored me and my offers.  It's like you're doing good to even get an offer these days, and it's like you gotta take it and absorb the loss and move on or you're simply not moving jerseys in this market. 

That said, I'm just glad I sold off most of my jerseys I wanted to sell before the bottom completely fell out of the market.

9 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Also if you want to see another great example of where the hobby is, someone in one of the FB groups posted a screenshot of a Vegas Nate Schmidt autographed puck whose bid is now up to $850.  It's not a game or practice used puck, just a puck with a Vegas logo and his autograph.  

1 hour ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

I got lucky, a jersey that was generating no interest in the game worn groups or ebay, I found a Golden Knights fan group and i posted it there. It sold for more then what I was asking.

I don't think you can judge the entire hobby based on what Vegas items are selling for right now. Expansion team items always sell, even when the team sucks. Vegas is having a first season for the ages, so naturally there's going to be an even higher premium placed on Vegas merch. 

While true, I think that helps prove that it isn't really a buyer's market either. To me, the market overall is just different and not trending either to buyers or sellers. Unless things are dirt cheap (which has always existed), people/collectors just seem to want different things now and when I see certain stuff being sold a sky high prices while very good stuff getting sold for under market value I just scratch my head. Just a total shift that seemingly happened almost overnight about 18-24 months ago.

Guest Dr_Puck
13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Wait so I’m NOT ruining the board? Are you certain?

Well to be honest, it's really Slim's fault. If he hadn't disappeared, we'd all be one big happy family still. 

[That's what I said.]

5 hours ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

I got lucky, a jersey that was generating no interest in the game worn groups or ebay, I found a Golden Knights fan group and i posted it there. It sold for more then what I was asking.

Was it the Springfield Marchessault? That was a nice jersey and it was unique too, due to his last name on the back. I thought for sure that jersey would draw plenty of interest other then some dope saying the Vegas looks 100x better. Glad it went to a Vegas fan, someone got a nice jersey of a pretty good player 6 wins from a Cup.

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

1 minute ago, Dr_Puck said:

Well to be honest, it's really Slim's fault. If he hadn't disappeared, we'd all be one big happy family still. 

[That's what I said.]

You definitely said it...several times. 

Slim was the best. But he's too cool to write message board posts now that he's writing books. 

1 hour ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Was it the Springfield Marchessault? That was a nice jersey and it was unique too, due to his last name on the back. I thought for sure that jersey would draw plenty of interest other then some dope saying the Vegas looks 100x better. Glad it went to a Vegas fan, someone got a nice jersey of a pretty good player 4 wins from a Cup.

it was, no one bit at 550 in the group. In one of the Golden Knights group I joined someone sold a Marchessault signed replica Vegas for 500. So I figured why not and threw up it up there for stupid high price. The guy who bought it must've had some bets in last night lol

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

While true, I think that helps prove that it isn't really a buyer's market either. To me, the market overall is just different and not trending either to buyers or sellers. Unless things are dirt cheap (which has always existed), people/collectors just seem to want different things now and when I see certain stuff being sold a sky high prices while very good stuff getting sold for under market value I just scratch my head. Just a total shift that seemingly happened almost overnight about 18-24 months ago.

Agreed. I feel like the market is just very erratic. I can list some jerseys for months with nothing and then suddenly it goes for full price or reasonably close to full ask. I think people are just being more targeted in their collections. The only thing that consistently sells well is pre-reebok Edge era authentics, specifically 90's CCM ultrafil, or customized jerseys. I remember a few years ago when I started collecting I would consider a customized authentic for $200 a good deal. Now I feel like the market for most customized authentics is ~$100. 

Thankfully I have been able to clear out most of the jerseys I wasn't wearing or don't fit my collection anymore from my closet. I still have probably 4 or 5 more to move but, that's down from about 12-15. I think Reebok's mass production of Edge jerseys has definitely cut the scarcity and appeal of modern authentics. 

3 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Was it the Springfield Marchessault? That was a nice jersey and it was unique too, due to his last name on the back.

I have no say, but as one who does dabble in the random "decent NHLer's minor league shirts"... one reason why I'd not even consider spending that much on that era Springfield Falcons is that its a direct copy of the Columbus Blue Jackets. If it was one of the alternate styles that were not a copy of the CBJ shirts, I bet it would have moved way faster.

About 5-6 players that I "would" collect have passed through Springfield and the only one that I actually did pick up was when I got it for $100. Not because I'm a cheap-skate, but because the style is SO bland.

---

That being said, as people have mentioned above, non;leaguewide superstar calibre player jerseys are almost at a commodity level now, between the number of sets and the number of years guys play. Unless there's a patch or its really cheap, I think most people are fine waiting it out. This is one reason I enjoy the minor league stuff, the large majority is 1-of-1 stuff. A player may have one of each color plus a couple specialties, but you can literally be the ONLY person to own that team/color/player combo in a gamer (combined with the fact that most teams don't sell blank Authentics/TI shirts).  On the NHL side, there's players I would like to have, but when its not "1-of-1" type scarcity, I'm simply willing to wait it out knowing that after this season, player X will likely wear 4-6 shirts this year, then another 4-6 next year, for the next "N" years that he plays. That becomes A LOT of shirts, and in some cases, there's not enough demand from a team's collectors, let alone the guys who collect league-wide (who's collecting 'wants' are likely of a wider gamut as well).

19 hours ago, cjerina said:

I have no say, but as one who does dabble in the random "decent NHLer's minor league shirts"... one reason why I'd not even consider spending that much on that era Springfield Falcons is that its a direct copy of the Columbus Blue Jackets. If it was one of the alternate styles that were not a copy of the CBJ shirts, I bet it would have moved way faster.

About 5-6 players that I "would" collect have passed through Springfield and the only one that I actually did pick up was when I got it for $100. Not because I'm a cheap-skate, but because the style is SO bland.

I completely agree, the jerseys were boring to watch those years which is why I only have a few of those style left,. Everyone loved the alternate in 12-13 that was brought back in 15-16 for the last year  with the Coyotes, but all the 15-16s are extremely cheap on ebay currently because the team was garbage and Arizona screwed us.

The jerseys we had with Edmonton were superb, the Tampa ones were boring but the Lightning pants stood out. and the ones before the logo change are some of the best in hockey

19 hours ago, cjerina said:

That being said, as people have mentioned above, non;leaguewide superstar calibre player jerseys are almost at a commodity level now, between the number of sets and the number of years guys play. Unless there's a patch or its really cheap, I think most people are fine waiting it out. This is one reason I enjoy the minor league stuff, the large majority is 1-of-1 stuff. A player may have one of each color plus a couple specialties, but you can literally be the ONLY person to own that team/color/player combo in a gamer (combined with the fact that most teams don't sell blank Authentics/TI shirts).  On the NHL side, there's players I would like to have, but when its not "1-of-1" type scarcity, I'm simply willing to wait it out knowing that after this season, player X will likely wear 4-6 shirts this year, then another 4-6 next year, for the next "N" years that he plays. That becomes A LOT of shirts, and in some cases, there's not enough demand from a team's collectors, let alone the guys who collect league-wide (who's collecting 'wants' are likely of a wider gamut as well).

30 plus Steve Masons on meigray, the 85 Marc Staals that steiner has

Edited by LetsGoHomeBaby

• 2 months later...
Guest Dr_Puck

One observation to bump this thread: The Facebook jersey groups have a lot of people who seem only to care about sticks, pucks, and other memorabilia. This isn't really a complaint about FB, just a thought that the number of active buyers out there doesn't seem all that large. Either you're getting off-topic stuff or just people bottom of the barrel bargain hunting. I think we overestimate the scope of the actual jersey market. 

I will add that the people actively buying seem to tend to have a very narrow scope of what they are looking for.  Outside of that you only get interest from the general masses if you have an exceedingly rare jersey or a jersey at bargain bin pricing.

My experience has been completely different.  I don't really buy and sell game worn too much so I can't speak to that, but in regards to authentics, I find there is lots of sales activity in the facebook forums for jerseys. (Addicted to Authentics and Non-Game worn jersey forums).  Lots of jersey move through those forums.   In my opinion, it's just an easier medium to post up photos for sale and to communicate directly with the buyer/seller via messenger.  I know, you get the occasional clowns, but for the most part you deal with some really great people.   I really like this website also (ice jerseys), but haven't been on here long enough to make an opinion, but am very thankful to belong to this community also.   Reddit appears to also have alot of jersey movements this year, but you get all sorts on that site .. but jerseys do move so it's another outlet.   I also think once the season starts up again, you will see a lot more sales activity. Cheers! 

34 minutes ago, kkash48 said:

I also think once the season starts up again, you will see a lot more sales activity. Cheers! 

This is always true, especially of authentic as opposed to game worn. Us true collectors buy them year round, but there are also a TON of fans who buy these things, and a lot of fans are not thinking about hockey unless its hockey season. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

This is always true, especially of authentic as opposed to game worn. Us true collectors buy them year round, but there are also a TON of fans who buy these things, and a lot of fans are not thinking about hockey unless its hockey season. 

Very true.  

I always say though that the best time to buy is over the summer, best time to sell is Sept - Dec timeline.  Usually I find it easier to sell once training camp opens and then the week before Thanksgiving and Christmas.