• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

But that's the Flyers. They don't count. Nobody likes them

That’s unfair. Their new mascot does. This guy:

44996277905_ca4ce03bde_b.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest Dr_Puck

Compared to some of you old timers I have not been collecting long (replicas since 2009, gamers since 2013). However, I have come to understand one indelible rule of the market: When you NEED something to sell, it won't.

I've been watching the usual places-- Facebook, eBay and here-- and have realized recently that the market is too variable for budget purposes. Most of us will always spend more than we sell simply because it's too hard to predict the market. Collectors who you think will want to buy something suddenly fall off the face of the earth. Jerseys you have photomatched and think should easily move, don't. Market prices in general are down. And yet we keep buying!

I've mentioned this a few times before in the past couple of years but I will keep saying it; the mid-range stuff is the market that is getting destroyed and/or is the hardest market to gauge.  The cheap stuff are still largely cheap while the expensive stuff are still largely expensive.  That $500-1500 gamer range is just tricky.

As for selling when you need to sell, I find it more a game of chance.  There have been times where I need to sell something that I think will be an easy sell and I get crickets while there are times where I think I will have to work and be patient and the item sells pretty quickly.  It really is a crapshoot but still annoying either way.

Also, anything pre-2000 is what I find to hold value better as well.  However I think that sort of thing has always been around.

Guest Dr_Puck

Good points, Devilsguy. I've sold a few jerseys after a looooooooong time of being off budget and it's hit me. We play a game with our funds. I can't all of a sudden move $500 worth of jerseys to buy that rare college gamer I don't have money initially for, even though originally that was my approach. I suspect I am not the only one who has performed budget juggling. 

55 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Market prices in general are down. And yet we keep buying!

Arguably, that's the time to buy, no?

12 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

For sure! That's how I grabbed my first Devils jersey that I never shared here. 

Welcome to the dark side.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I already sold it. Not a fan. 

So I guess the secondary (and tertiary) markets were fine on that one. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Good points, Devilsguy. I've sold a few jerseys after a looooooooong time of being off budget and it's hit me. We play a game with our funds. I can't all of a sudden move $500 worth of jerseys to buy that rare college gamer I don't have money initially for, even though originally that was my approach. I suspect I am not the only one who has performed budget juggling. 

Budget juggling is a way of life for a lot of us lol.  Problem is more and more I'm cutting down on stuff I don't care about and now being forced to sell stuff I do care about.  That's the tough part.

Guest Dr_Puck
22 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Budget juggling is a way of life for a lot of us lol.  Problem is more and more I'm cutting down on stuff I don't care about and now being forced to sell stuff I do care about.  That's the tough part.

The pain is real. I'm at the point where I won't even think about something unless I can realistically envision keeping it for several years. Hoping I am forever past the impulse buying stage of this hobby. 

Guest Dr_Puck

Looking for perspective here. Which teams' gamers have the worst secondary market value? From what I've seen--- and sold--- Ottawa's and the Minnesota's gamers just don't generate much value when I try to move them.  Both the Senators and Wild have dumped a lot of reasonably priced jerseys into the market in recent years. 

14 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Looking for perspective here. Which teams' gamers have the worst secondary market value? From what I've seen--- and sold--- Ottawa's and the Minnesota's gamers just don't generate much value when I try to move them.  Both the Senators and Wild have dumped a lot of reasonably priced jerseys into the market in recent years. 

Rangers jerseys from the Steiner era. 

Mic drop. 

Edited by thebiggoalie

Guest Dr_Puck
1 hour ago, NYIJM29 said:

I think the shorter response to the question would be which teams jerseys hold value.  

I had bourbon at lunch when I wrote that question yesterday. It didn't come out clear.

3 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

I had bourbon at lunch when I wrote that question yesterday. It didn't come out clear.

Bourbon never comes out clear.

You’re thinking of vodka. 

On 2/2/2019 at 4:39 PM, Dr_Puck said:

Few modern jerseys hold value well.  I know a lot of modern Devils jerseys don't with only a few exceptions.  I think some of the teams where it is simply hard to acquire gamers (think Carolina) are probably in the best shape in that regards.

Basically pre-Edge is what holds value from what I've seen.  It depends on team to team, but if you got 90's and earlier those tend to hold better than anything in the last ten years.

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I know a lot of modern Devils jerseys don't with only a few exceptions.  I think some of the teams where it is simply hard to acquire gamers (think Carolina) are probably in the best shape in that regards. 

I wonder what happens though if Carolina or Tampa ever open their vaults like Minnesota did. Suddenly, fringe players will be worth nothing at all.

52 minutes ago, cjerina said:

I wonder what happens though if Carolina or Tampa ever open their vaults like Minnesota did. Suddenly, fringe players will be worth nothing at all.

Pretty much.  I think that would def hit their jerseys pretty hard.

Also I forgot to mention teams like Calgary who seem to price their jerseys pretty fairly from the get-go seem to hold value alright too.  Then again I'm looking at this from afar so don't quote me on it lol.

4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Basically pre-Edge is what holds value from what I've seen.  It depends on team to team, but if you got 90's and earlier those tend to hold better than anything in the last ten years.

No telling for sure, but if there isn't a flood of MIC Adidas, maybe all the Edge 2.0s out there will have more value/hold value say 10 years down the road...

Guest Dr_Puck
3 hours ago, cjerina said:

I can think of a handful of obscure Tampa goalies whose jerseys I'd want. I hope this eventually happens.