Sean Burke Call it Quits

lafountain

Sean Burke announced his retirement today.

Burke was always one of those goaltenders that I really liked. Never had much success in the playoffs as he only got past the first round once way back in 87/88 with the Devils. Just could never outdo that playoff run of his rookie season. Of course he will probably be best known as possibly the greatest Goaltender the Whalers ever had (Which as much as I liked him is kind of sad)

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=33765...mp;service=page

I'm wearing my Sean Burke 2002 Western Conference jersey today in honor. I watched him play with the San Diego Gulls of the IHL in 1992, before he went to the Whalers. He is the 3rd winningest Coyote goaltender. After the 2002 All-Star Game, he was outstanding until the playoffs. The guy could never stay healthy and in the next season started a huge slide.

Some trivia for ya, Burke was the winning goaltender in the Coyotes first-ever game (as the Coyotes) on October 5, 1996, playing for Hartford, shutting out Phoenix!