10 Years

lafountain

It has been 10+ years since Winnipeg and Hartford both left their respective cities and moved South. Sean Burke's retirement got me to wondering how many players from these two cities are still in the league? I found a list for Hartford.

Bobby Holik, Sami Kapanen, Marek Malik, Michael Nylander, Jeff O'Neil, Nolan Pratt, Chris Pronger, Geoff Sanderson, Brendan Shanahan, Glen Wesley, JS Giguere, and Manny Legace.

As for the Jets, I found Dallas Drake, Kris Draper, Nikolai Khabibulin, Chad Kilger, Teppo Numminen, Deron Quint, Teemu Selanne (Maybe active), Keith Tkachuk, and Oleg Tverdovsky,

Was kind of surprised to see that many former Whalers and Jets still active. There are a few players for both teams that are still active in Europe as well.

It has been 10+ years since Winnipeg and Hartford both left their respective cities and moved South. Sean Burke's retirement got me to wondering how many players from these two cities are still in the league? I found a list for Hartford.

Bobby Holik, Sami Kapanen, Marek Malik, Michael Nylander, Jeff O'Neil, Nolan Pratt, Chris Pronger, Geoff Sanderson, Brendan Shanahan, Glen Wesley, JS Giguere, and Manny Legace.

As for the Jets, I found Dallas Drake, Kris Draper, Nikolai Khabibulin, Chad Kilger, Teppo Numminen, Deron Quint, Teemu Selanne (Maybe active), Keith Tkachuk, and Oleg Tverdovsky,

Was kind of surprised to see that many former Whalers and Jets still active. There are a few players for both teams that are still active in Europe as well.

You left Doan off the list. He's the one remaining Jet playing for the Coyotes. Tverdovsky went to Russia a few months ago and Quint last played 5 games for the Islanders and is a free agent.

You left Doan off the list. He's the one remaining Jet playing for the Coyotes. Tverdovsky went to Russia a few months ago and Quint last played 5 games for the Islanders and is a free agent.

Oops, yeah I guess I did kind of miss that one.

I tend to think Doan will be the Coyotes equivalent of Joe Sakic or a Steve Yzerman type as in he'll be a Coyote for his career. You can question his leadership, or even his ability, but everytime I watch him play its a pleasure. Many nights he seems like he's one of the hardest working players out there. I had no problem with the Doggies giving him the contract they did.

Here's a funny story about Doan. At CoyotesFest, he was at the autograph table with Keith Yandle and Mike Zigomanis. My wife got the Zigo jersey signed, Doan looked at me, saw my Western Conference Jovanovski All-Star jersey and said, "nice jersey!" Seeing my 55 on the sleeve, he asked, "who's that? Gonchar?". I said, "uh, noooo, it's a teammate of yours". Then he had this dee-dee-dee look on his face and said, "Oh, of course, Jovo!". Yandle and Zigomanis gave him some ribbing for that. I felt like saying, "you dork!", but Shane is a good guy. Wow, I stumped the captain. :lol:

Here's a funny story about Doan. At CoyotesFest, he was at the autograph table with Keith Yandle and Mike Zigomanis. My wife got the Zigo jersey signed, Doan looked at me, saw my Western Conference Jovanovski All-Star jersey and said, "nice jersey!" Seeing my 55 on the sleeve, he asked, "who's that? Gonchar?". I said, "uh, noooo, it's a teammate of yours". Then he had this dee-dee-dee look on his face and said, "Oh, of course, Jovo!". Yandle and Zigomanis gave him some ribbing for that. I felt like saying, "you dork!", but Shane is a good guy. Wow, I stumped the captain. :lol:

You are right, that was a funny story. I read that and laughed myself.

:D That's funny! He's the one Coyote player I want to meet, but haven't yet.

I love those "human" stories. Most of the time, we're only fed the media criticisms of players and the canned cliches that players give in interviews, so it's nice to see, hear, and read these stories that show that players are just regular people too (except with one of the coolest jobs on the planet).