Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I just took my Sharks authentic edge 2.0 to a local hockey store in the Bay Area to have them ship it out for customization. All of their customization is done by Stahls, who from what I've been told is who officially does the letters and numbers for all NHL teams. Is this true or has anyone had any experience with having customization done by Stahls? I'm a little OCD so I want my jersey to be as close to an on ice as possible. (I know some of you will say buy a game worn then, I just couldn't afford it) thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sushiroll40 said:

Hey all,

I just took my Sharks authentic edge 2.0 to a local hockey store in the Bay Area to have them ship it out for customization. All of their customization is done by Stahls, who from what I've been told is who officially does the letters and numbers for all NHL teams. Is this true or has anyone had any experience with having customization done by Stahls? I'm a little OCD so I want my jersey to be as close to an on ice as possible. (I know some of you will say buy a game worn then, I just couldn't afford it) thanks in advance!

It is not true. This thread is a list of all current NHL customizers:

To be as accurate as possible, yours should go to Action Spot Sports, who does the Sharks' on-ice jerseys. 

As far as how good Stahl's work is, I will leave that to someone else. 

Edited by mfitz804

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See if you can stop them from sending it to Stahls and send it to action spot in Buffalo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

See if you can stop them from sending it to Stahls and send it to action spot in Buffalo.

http://www.actionspotsports.com/custom-jerseys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It both does and doesn't amaze me how these hockey shops will tell a customer this same erroneous information that all teams are customized by the same customizer.  I guess it is because they are used to replicas being all done by Fanatics, but I don't think it wouldn't hurt some of these guys to just say "don't know, but let me find out for you" for people who are requesting exact on-ice specs for their jerseys.  Hear this a few times a year.

I remember about 3-4 years ago I went to Gerry Cosby in Manhattan and my now wife's friend asked if they do the lettering for the on-ice jerseys the Rangers wear.  The old guy at the counter says yeah we do.  I said to him that I am pretty sure Arena Wear does it these days and his response after giving me a death stare was "they do, but we use the same kits."  He also said "we don't believe in nameplates either" after she (wife's friend) asked for one lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I knew any better, I had an Indo-Edge jersey sent to Stahls for customization. It came back with a twill nameplate and the captain's "C" was the wrong font. I thought it looked like crap so I unloaded it on eBay. That was around the time I discovered this forum. I chalk it up as a lesson learned as I've bought 2.0s and used the official team customizer ever since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't hurt to call and ask if you can still cancel the order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they can't cancel it then I guess your only option is to hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's already shipped. I saw customized authentics in the store when I dropped it off yesterday and they looked spot on. Couldn't find any issues so I'll just see what I get back. I guess I'm just a little confused because the action spot sports website says they create letters and numbers to match the exact specs of the on ice jerseys, which implies that are reproducing them on their own to match. The Stahl's website says they have Official NHL/NHLPA licensed number kits and each kit includes an NHL/NHLPA hang tag, which seems more along the lines of them using officially licensed kits. Not trying to be argumentative just interested in feedback based on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Sushiroll40 said:

http://www.hockeyxsuperstore.com/custom-nhl-jerseys/

 

that's the link where they claim to order kits from Stahl's who they say are the official kits for all NHL teams...

 

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

It both does and doesn't amaze me how these hockey shops will tell a customer this same erroneous information that all teams are customized by the same customizer.  I guess it is because they are used to replicas being all done by Fanatics, but I don't think it wouldn't hurt some of these guys to just say "don't know, but let me find out for you" for people who are requesting exact on-ice specs for their jerseys.  Hear this a few times a year.

I remember about 3-4 years ago I went to Gerry Cosby in Manhattan and my now wife's friend asked if they do the lettering for the on-ice jerseys the Rangers wear.  The old guy at the counter says yeah we do.  I said to him that I am pretty sure Arena Wear does it these days and his response after giving me a death stare was "they do, but we use the same kits."  He also said "we don't believe in nameplates either" after she (wife's friend) asked for one lol.

From what I gather, the NHL publishes specs for customization that many shops consider the "official" kit, even though the shop that does the game jerseys varies from the official specs. So if you ask "do you do the official font" or "are these the official kits", they'll just say yes.

What you need to know is whether they do the team's actual on-ice jerseys, and unless you ask that, you may not find out because they want your business. Even if you do, they may not be honest.

Better answer is, always check with the experts on this site, they'll steer you in the right direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

 

From what I gather, the NHL publishes specs for customization that many shops consider the "official" kit, even though the shop that does the game jerseys varies from the official specs. So if you ask "do you do the official font" or "are these the official kits", they'll just say yes.

What you need to know is whether they do the team's actual on-ice jerseys, and unless you ask that, you may not find out because they want your business. Even if you do, they may not be honest.

Better answer is, always check with the experts on this site, they'll steer you in the right direction. 

That makes sense. I can see where the line gets a little blurry. Well it's been shipped so I'll see what I get back and post pictures. My main concern is just that the font is right and looks the way it's supposed to as far as colors and style goes. It's not much of a difference whether the same company that sews the players sews mine if it looks right. Pretty much regardless of who sews it, it's an authentica replica unless it is sent to the team to be used I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nameplate material issue would be my main concern, twill ones look awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Unless it's a 90's Jets!

Well, then it looks accurate. I personally still think it looks horrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So actually it hadn't shipped. Manager said he would put it on hold for me I'm gonna go pick it up tomorrow. It's confirmed that action spot sports does the customization for the jerseys that the Sharks players are using in game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as far as we know they're still the team letterer.  But this early in the season it's hard to be sure- we've barely had a glimpse of the new jerseys to see if there have been any changes in the lettering, and of course it's too early for anyone to have a gamer to check for lettering tags.  I heard that Action Spot is no longer doing the Sabres' jerseys this year, but I don't know if they have dropped the Sharks as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

The nameplate material issue would be my main concern, twill ones look awful. 

The Flyers home/away jerseys since like 2010 use twill now for the nameplates.  I was shocked when I got my first gamer.  I thought maybe I got a reject!  Not sure if it's a Philly Express thing or what :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll try calling tomorrow and see if they can tell me. What do you mean when u say lettering tags?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sushiroll40 said:

I'll try calling tomorrow and see if they can tell me. What do you mean when u say lettering tags?

Many team customizers will put a tag with their name on the inside back hem of the gamers they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 14, 2016 at 6:08 PM, LAK74 said:

Well, as far as we know they're still the team letterer.  But this early in the season it's hard to be sure- we've barely had a glimpse of the new jerseys to see if there have been any changes in the lettering, and of course it's too early for anyone to have a gamer to check for lettering tags.  I heard that Action Spot is no longer doing the Sabres' jerseys this year, but I don't know if they have dropped the Sharks as well.  

So I spoke to action spot today about mailing my jersey in and the woman said they still do the on ice customization for the Sharks, just thought I'd update you guys that they remained with the team for this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info, it really helps us to keep "the list" up to date!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sushiroll, if this matters at all to you, you may want to ask Action Spot if they will provide you with an Edge stretch mesh nameplate.  (It's the same material as the back of the jersey.)  There was a discussion about this topic in this forum last year, and at that time at least, it seems they give you an airknit plate (same material as the rest of the jersey), which doesn't match the back.  You may be able to pay extra for the Edge nameplate, or provide your own.  If they will not provide it for you, you can buy a black Edge nameplate from JerseyBaron, but it will probably cost you more this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...