38 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

Sushiroll, if this matters at all to you, you may want to ask Action Spot if they will provide you with an Edge stretch mesh nameplate.  (It's the same material as the back of the jersey.)  There was a discussion about this topic in this forum last year, and at that time at least, it seems they give you an airknit plate (same material as the rest of the jersey), which doesn't match the back.  You may be able to pay extra for the Edge nameplate, or provide your own.  If they will not provide it for you, you can buy a black Edge nameplate from JerseyBaron, but it will probably cost you more this way.

I second this, and even if you are using the official customizer, you can't assume you're getting the right nameplate material. Anytime you place an order from any customizer, specify all details that are important to you, never assume you'll just get what you want!

1 hour ago, LAK74 said:

Sushiroll, if this matters at all to you, you may want to ask Action Spot if they will provide you with an Edge stretch mesh nameplate.  (It's the same material as the back of the jersey.)  There was a discussion about this topic in this forum last year, and at that time at least, it seems they give you an airknit plate (same material as the rest of the jersey), which doesn't match the back.  You may be able to pay extra for the Edge nameplate, or provide your own.  If they will not provide it for you, you can buy a black Edge nameplate from JerseyBaron, but it will probably cost you more this way.

Ok thanks for bringing this up. Do the players jerseys have the edge stretch nameplate or do they use air knit? Hard to tell on the black from pictures of players, I have noticed when they wear Teal that the nameplate seems to stand out a bit, maybe due to it being air knit?

As I've mentioned earlier, it's hard to say yet what they're doing this year, but as far as I know, in recent seasons they seem to have used Edge mesh on the gamers.  Last gamer I saw a closeup of was a white SCF from a few months ago, and it was Edge mesh.  I'd guess it's very likely to be the same situation this year.  If you're gonna call AS anyway, you may as well ask them about this while you're at it.

4 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

As I've mentioned earlier, it's hard to say yet what they're doing this year, but as far as I know, in recent seasons they seem to have used Edge mesh on the gamers.  Last gamer I saw a closeup of was a white SCF from a few months ago, and it was Edge mesh.  I'd guess it's very likely to be the same situation this year.  If you're gonna call AS anyway, you may as well ask them about this while you're at it.

Alright yeah, I'll call and ask tomorrow as I think they are closed now. Looking at my jersey it's hard to tell there even is a difference between front and back materials. The back looks a little smoother and the front seems to be a little more textured. Very close, only noticeable by touch or really close up. But I'll go ahead and ask, like I said I'd like it as close to the real deal as possible. Thanks again for all your help, I've learned a ton for future purchases! My next is gonna be a Heritage I think, JB has some but too pricey for me ATM 

Edited by Sushiroll40

There should be a pretty noticeable difference between the 2 materials, although perhaps the difference is less visible here due to the material being black.  If you look at the back shoulder area right underneath the Reebok wordmark logo, that's airknit- it's pretty rough and has a distinctive diagonal hole pattern.  Right below the shoulder seam is the stretch mesh back panel- it contains spandex, and is more elastic (not to mention thinner) than airknit, and it also has a different hole pattern.

32 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

There should be a pretty noticeable difference between the 2 materials, although perhaps the difference is less visible here due to the material being black.  If you look at the back shoulder area right underneath the Reebok wordmark logo, that's airknit- it's pretty rough and has a distinctive diagonal hole pattern.  Right below the shoulder seam is the stretch mesh back panel- it contains spandex, and is more elastic (not to mention thinner) than airknit, and it also has a different hole pattern.

Yeah the front, sleeves, and shoulders are rougher and have diagonal hole patterns. The back and armpit area down the sides are a smoother more stretchy material with slightly different looking hole pattern

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2016 at 6:17 PM, mfitz804 said:

From what I gather, the NHL publishes specs for customization that many shops consider the "official" kit, even though the shop that does the game jerseys varies from the official specs. So if you ask "do you do the official font" or "are these the official kits", they'll just say yes.

It's not the league per se, but each team puts out a "style guide" pdf that includes a hi-res version of crests, secondary logos, team wordmark logos, pantone colors, and (most importantly to this discussion,) jersey font. The league distributes these to authorized licensees. 

As has been noted, the individual lettering houses then use this as a base from which to make the jerseys. Some are truer than others, but Stahls tries to be a close to this as possible. (This may be why, for example, their kits for the Montreal WC jersey last year were missing the red stitching detail)

Edited by tcmstr
clarification

1 hour ago, tcmstr said:

It's not the league per se, but each team puts out a "style guide" pdf that includes a hi-res version of crests, secondary logos, team wordmark logos, pantone colors, and (most importantly to this discussion,) jersey font. The league distributes this to authorized

As has been noted, the individual lettering houses then use this as a base from which to make the jerseys. Some are truer than others, but Stahls tries to be a close to this as possible. (This may be why, for example, their kits for the Montreal WC jersey last year were missing the red stitching detail)

Do you know if these pdf files are accessible by anyone?  I wouldn't mind having a look at a few.

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/27/2016 at 5:21 PM, tcmstr said:

(This may be why, for example, their kits for the Montreal WC jersey last year were missing the red stitching detail)

I called and asked if they had the stitch pattern and they had no idea what I meant, just saying they could not provide sew disks for the NHL kits. The only way I figured it out was seeing close ups of the gamers.