Hey all,

I was watching a game today and noticed during a player interview that the NHL crest patch that is sewn on the front neck looked like it had vertical stripes going through it instead of the normal flat black and white/silver-ish embroidery. Did they change the shield crest patch this year? Just wondering if anyone has noticed this or if it was just camera angle lighting that maybe gave this effect.

A very large number of new 2.0's (both team-issued and retail) have the newer NHL shield, which is made of a material called Lextra.  It's thinner, softer, more flexible than the older harder shield (like the one on your Sharks jersey), and has a fuzzy, felt-like texture to it.  This shield is not brand-new, and has appeared on some NHL jerseys as far back as 2011.  At first it appeared on special-event jerseys like the All-Star Game jerseys, as well as (then) brand-new jersey styles like the 2011/12 Nashville jerseys.  Its usage has expanded during recent seasons, and today, basically any recently-introduced jersey style will feature the Lextra shield.  The Kings, on the other hand, have been using home and road jersey designs that have been around for a number of seasons, and you can currently see a mixture of the 2 shield styles in the present gamer sets, as some of the older stock jerseys still remain.  Back in 2011/12, they used the old shield almost exclusively on their home and road jerseys (except for 3 players), but over the years this situation has slowly reversed, and on the current 2016/17 road set 1, I've counted only 3 players' jerseys that have the old shield, with all other players using the new one.

Old shield:

image_zpsqlqoa2b7.jpeg

New shield:

image_zpsqlutmw1i.jpeg

Edited by LAK74

Ah, interesting. It amazes me how you have an answer to every question lol. As I said in my previous post I wanted to customize mine as close to on ice as possible and so I wasn't going to do front chest numbers as the Sharks don't have them this year, and I just noticed the patch today. I'd prefer to not have chest numbers over putting them on just because I own an older version of their 3rd Jersey.

I don't follow the Sharks closely, so I can't be absolutely sure of this, but I would guess that since the Sharks' current home, road and retro jerseys are all fairly new styles that debuted within the past few seasons, that it's very likely that every current player will have a jersey with the new Lextra shield.  However, the black third jersey you have is a much older style, and if you look at game photos from last year (with the 25th anniversary patch) the black jerseys seem to have the old shield on them. So for sure you could put the 25th patch on with no front numbers, and it would be accurate.  As for this season, I don't think the Sharks have used their 3rds yet, so you don't know whether they will have the old or new shield until those jerseys make their debut.  I wouldn't be surprised if the thirds (or at least most of them) still have the old shield.

Edited by LAK74

For sure. Well I'm not planning on sending my jersey into action stop sports until after Nov. 5th because I'd like to wear it to the two games I'm going to between now and then. I'll check the 3rd Jersey schedule for the season and try and catch a glimpse of the patches. Like I said though not having front numbers is more of a priority than correct shield, especially since it sounds like some older patches may still be floating around on jerseys for more current seasons. I've considered the 25th anniversary patch just cuz it was a big season for them, but I'll play it by ear. Thanks again for the abundance of info as I try and navigate my way through the jersey collecting process.

For sure. Well I'm not planning on sending my jersey into action stop sports until after Nov. 5th because I'd like to wear it to the two games I'm going to between now and then. I'll check the 3rd Jersey schedule for the season and try and catch a glimpse of the patches. Like I said though not having front numbers is more of a priority than correct shield, especially since it sounds like some older patches may still be floating around on jerseys for more current seasons. I've considered the 25th anniversary patch just cuz it was a big season for them, but I'll play it by ear. Thanks again for the abundance of info as I try and navigate my way through the jersey collecting process.

For what it's worth, none of the blackhawks road or away jerseys have had the new style logo. I'm not sure about the special event jerseys.

Even JB's 2.0s appear to have the old logo, and I know he does go through them quite often.

Montreal's jerseys last year all appeared to have the new style logo (including WC), but then again, those did debut last year.

I'm finding that most teams that have used the same jersey design for over 5 years or so, like Chicago, New Jersey, Boston, etc. are still using the old shield on the home and roads even as of this season.  But any recent special event jersey, like Chicago's WC or SS, will have the new shield.

Sharks word their 3rd jerseys tonight against the blue jackets but I was at the game so didn't get to see a close up there or on any post game videos. Anyone happen to notice if they had old or new shield logos? Thanks

They used the old logos.  But you can't tell on Thornton because his frickin' beard is in the way.  He really needs to shave that off...  :noway: