Ultrafil nameplates

Chazberg

As someone just starting to get into pre-Edge jerseys, I'm curious: How do you all go about getting ultrafil nameplates when you customize? I know ultrafil is a big thing everyone here seems to love, but I'm assuming it must be hard to come by nameplates. There's only one dude on eBay selling any, and those are just a few uncommon colors. Is the material still available to buy somewhere? Do lettering shops still carry it? Or do you buy crappy ultrafil replicas in the color you need and cut them up Chris Sale-style to make a bunch of nameplates?

Some shops still carry it.  I buy cheapo replicas and butcher them up for nameplates.  You can easily find older ultrafils for around $20.

24 minutes ago, Chazberg said:

So replica ultrafils used the exact same material?

They definitely did not. The replica material is softer, lighter weight, and more prone to pulls than the Ultrafil used for authentics. But, they do look the same and those other differences are not an issue when its being used as a nameplate. 

Personally, I hate the material of the old Ultrafil replicas, its a close second to the Premier material in being near useless for a hockey jersey. too easy to snag and it looks like hammered crap after wearing it just a few times. 

Replica ultrafil works for plates in a pinch but there is a fairly large difference. The pro weight material is a much tighter knit and thicker. Different manufacturers had different versions too. As far as I'm concerned, SP is the nicest version. It's like wearing burlap.