*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/13/2018 at 11:09 AM, thebiggoalie said:

How many times does the same idiot have to message you over a two year span to ask how much you’re looking for on the same jersey?

Not enough.

I had a guy message me every few days for a month asking if a jersey I have for sale is still available because he has his heart set on it but always needs a "few more days" to get the money.  He then goes radio silent on me for 2 weeks so I message him asking if he is still interested.  He responds with a nasty attitude saying how dare I ask him when he has medical bills to pay.  I guess I can read minds too.

27 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I had a guy message me every few days for a month asking if a jersey I have for sale is still available because he has his heart set on it but always needs a "few more days" to get the money.  He then goes radio silent on me for 2 weeks so I message him asking if he is still interested.  He responds with a nasty attitude saying how dare I ask him when he has medical bills to pay.  I guess I can read minds too.

Jim Morrison said it best...people are strange. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Jim Morrison said it best...people are strange. 

Indeed they are.  I searched his name and it popped up in a post in the bad sellers/traders group.  Now I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Some guy messaged me about a jersey on FB a while back. I pulled it because it was dead of summer and not moving. Re-listed it on FB and within minutes of re-listing it, the guy asked if it was available. Once I said "yes," he asked for pictures -- which he already had + were available on facebook. Literally nothing after that. I don't get it. 

I became friends with this “Justin” character from bumblefuck, USA. All of our conversations start off with one of us saying “I was drinking a few beers last night...” and ends with him buying something from me.

30 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

I became friends with this “Justin” character from bumblefuck, USA. All of our conversations start off with one of us saying “I was drinking a few beers last night...” and ends with him buying something from me.

Always good to have guys like that. 

16 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

That’s what she said. 

I’m obviously on vacation, having left myself exposed to my own joke. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m obviously on vacation, having left myself exposed to my own joke. 

That’s what she said too.....

2 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

In the main group, 16 separate posts of pics of jerseys for sale by the same seller. If that's not ridiculous enough not one price listed, either. But yet, he's "trying to save time and energy". Get used to seeing these posts at the top for a bit. 

I am seriously considering leaving the jerseys groups. It is insane.

I don't even see his posts anymore because FB decided for me that I don't need nor want to see them.

Yet their lovely algorithm thinks that I want to continue to see posts for jerseys I have zero interest in that were posted almost 3 weeks ago at the top of my feed for the group.

Is there a way to stop that?  All I want is to view group feeds in chronological order on my iPhone App.

50 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Is there a way to stop that?  All I want is to view group feeds in chronological order on my iPhone App.

On my Android app, you can now select how to view the order just above to the right on the first post in the group. Unfortunately, you have to change it every time.

17 minutes ago, cjerina said:

On my Android app, you can now select how to view the order just above to the right on the first post in the group. Unfortunately, you have to change it every time.

I might be SOL as I do not see an option for that.

13 hours ago, NYIJM29 said:

I am seriously considering leaving the jerseys groups. It is insane.

With 80 pages of venting about it, I am not sure how/why anyone follows these groups. 

57 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Because you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

I don't, yet I don't feel damned. These 80 pages confirm I've made the right decision. 

The hobby has largely moved over to those FB groups.  Therefore you are forced to at least be in them if you still want to be actively involved in buying and selling other than eBay or dead forums.

A lot of the issues that these groups have could easily be solved by two ways; 1) move the hobby back to forums.  This very unlikely to happen.  Or 2) better moderation.  This is a lot harder than it seems as groups either tend to have mods who are way too hands off or are autocratic with draconian rules.  To find the nice happy medium is sadly hard to find.

9 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I don't even see his posts anymore because FB decided for me that I don't need nor want to see them.

Yet their lovely algorithm thinks that I want to continue to see posts for jerseys I have zero interest in that were posted almost 3 weeks ago at the top of my feed for the group.

Another annoyance is when I get a FB notification about a new post in one of the groups, only to find out it was actually posted 6, 10, sometimes 24 hours ago. Gee, thanks Facebook for telling about a completely stale post with crap that isn’t available anymore. ?

Guest Dr_Puck

Occasional drama aside, Facebook has proven to be useful to me. That's where the bulk of the collectors are these days. The mods in multiple groups have gotten a good handle on things. In the last week I've used the groups to track down rare college jerseys, help on removing autographs, and answers on a couple of questions on authentics.

The accessibility of knowledgeable collectors and ability to block has been a big plus for me on Facebook. Also, the instant messaging app on Facebook is way easier than the IJ messaging tool. 

Edited by Dr_Puck

• 2 weeks later...

When you see someone ask a question on FB that you can answer but resisting the urge to supply an answer because you know it will go south.

3scflew3fo4z.jpg