*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

When you see someone ask a question on FB that you can answer but resisting the urge to supply an answer because you know it will go south.

Exactly. Unless I know them from here, I don’t bother to help anyone anymore. Just because they don’t like the answer I give them, it apparently means I’m wrong. 

12 hours ago, thebiggoalie said:

Exactly. Unless I know them from here, I don’t bother to help anyone anymore. Just because they don’t like the answer I give them, it apparently means I’m wrong. 

Yup it's either that or:

1) they now become my best friend and ask me questions about every jersey that ever existed.

or

2) I miss some extremely minor detail, outlier or minutiae that doesn't really apply or matter in that particular situation and some other person comes in and says "you forgot about this!!"

1 minute ago, Devilsguy said:

Yup it's either that or:

1) they now become my best friend and ask me questions about every jersey that ever existed.

or

2) I miss some extremely minor detail, outlier or minutiae that doesn't really apply or matter in that particular situation and some other person comes in and says "you forgot about this!!"

3) Casey, and guys like him. 

11 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

3) Casey, and guys like him. 

I actually don't mind him usually.  I did enjoy his back and forth with Milt last week as well lol.

20 hours ago, Brilliant! said:

Wait what?? Milt is back?? I haven't seen him in like six years.

He comments here and there but it seems like I've seen him post more in the last 3-4 months.

The back and forth with him and casey was in one of the Rangers game worn groups in the comments section of a thread about a messier gamer.

Milt had a whole eBay store thing going on for a while there. Like a thousand or so listings. And then all of a sudden, they all disappeared. Thought maybe something happened to him. Glad to hear he’s still around. 

6 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Milt had a whole eBay store thing going on for a while there. Like a thousand or so listings. And then all of a sudden, they all disappeared. Thought maybe something happened to him. Glad to hear he’s still around. 

Honestly I didn't even know he was on eBay.  I know he sold all of his inventory to Hoagie in 2012-ish and that's the last I heard of him for the most part except for a few posts here and there.

12 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Honestly I didn't even know he was on eBay.  I know he sold all of his inventory to Hoagie in 2012-ish and that's the last I heard of him for the most part except for a few posts here and there.

Yea, he was on there as miltonbyron, I believe.  Lots of old hockey cards, magazines, and other odds n ends.  The occasional jersey or patch, too.  Snagged a Flyers 25th patch off of him about 6 months ago.

Some member is selling jerseys in a $60 - $400 price range. But instead of telling the price of each jersey, you have to PM him for more details.....

35 minutes ago, Gewargis said:

I hate when sellers ask the buyers to send an offer instead of setting a price. 

If it's offers only they want, then they should put it on eBay with starting bid at .99. Let's see how many offers, err bids, they get. 

1 hour ago, amonte78 said:

Some member is selling jerseys in a $60 - $400 price range. But instead of telling the price of each jersey, you have to PM him for more details.....

This can be annoying as well but at least there's a selling price involved. I think sellers look at this tactic as an ice breaker to get you and your interest in PM and go from there.

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

6 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

This can be annoying as well but at least there's a selling price involved. I think sellers look at this tactic as an ice breaker to get you and your interest in PM and go from there.

I have to disagree. It’s too wide of a range. Outside of gamers and a few rarities, all jerseys cost $60-400. Assuming he’s not selling any gamers worth more than $400, he’s basically saying “I’m selling these for money, message me to discuss how much”. 

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have to disagree. It’s too wide of a range. Outside of gamers and a few rarities, all jerseys cost $60-400. Assuming he’s not selling any gamers worth more than $400, he’s basically saying “I’m selling these for money, message me to discuss how much”. 

I think it's lazy. It's basically the seller making the buyer do the work for them.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

The few times i've ever messaged a seller for a price on a game worn jersey it all went in the same direction. Me asking for the price, the seller replying with the price and me replying "Ok, thank you, i will pass". That led to the seller countering to "make me an offer if you'd like" which led to me buying a jersey on one of those occasions. That's why i say that it's an ice breaking tactic. That seller got me in PM and wound up negotiating with me which he might not otherwise have done with a price listed. 

11 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

The few times i've ever messaged a seller for a price on a game worn jersey it all went in the same direction. Me asking for the price, the seller replying with the price and me replying "Ok, thank you, i will pass". That led to the seller countering to "make me an offer if you'd like" which led to me buying a jersey on one of those occasions. That's why i say that it's an ice breaking tactic. That seller got me in PM and wound up negotiating with me which he might not otherwise have done with a price listed. 

My point is, it’s no more or less of an icebreaker then not putting a price at all and asking people to message you for the price. Putting a price range like that didn’t narrow it down at all with respect to about 90% of the jerseys out there.

Both tactics can work, but it’s very lazy on the part of the seller.

I think it depends on who your audience is.

In my experience, if it's in the jersey groups I will put a price listed.  I'm typically fine with reasonable offers as well.

However, in the Devils fan groups I purposefully leave out the price and instead I ask those to PM me for it.  I do it for the following reasons:

1) Eliminates some of the tire kickers

2) A lot of the fans in the Devils groups get sticker shock very easily.  That goes especially for anything over $200 so the last thing I need is someone commenting on the price.  A lot of those comments come from people who have zero clue about game worn pricing and insinuate that as a seller I'm trying to rip people off.  I don't need thay when enough people are nervous to begin with regarding this stuff.

5 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I think it depends on who your audience is.

In my experience, if it's in the jersey groups I will put a price listed.  I'm typically fine with reasonable offers as well.

However, in the Devils fan groups I purposefully leave out the price and instead I ask those to PM me for it.  I do it for the following reasons:

1) Eliminates some of the tire kickers

2) A lot of the fans in the Devils groups get sticker shock very easily.  That goes especially for anything over $200 so the last thing I need is someone commenting on the price.  A lot of those comments come from people who have zero clue about game worn pricing and insinuate that as a seller I'm trying to rip people off.  I don't need thay when enough people are nervous to begin with regarding this stuff.

Right, BUT, if you don’t know the seller, it’s just as likely that he’ll be one of these guys on eBay who tries for years to sell a $150 jersey for $400. If I contact him and get the $400 price, I’ve wasted my time. If 20 people do it, that seller has wasted 20 people’s time. 

I hadn’t thought in terms of other people commenting on it, which doesn’t happen here or obviously on eBay. Obviously I see why that’s important, and it would be annoying to have idiots try to convince others that the price is too high. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, BUT, if you don’t know the seller, it’s just as likely that he’ll be one of these guys on eBay who tries for years to sell a $150 jersey for $400. If I contact him and get the $400 price, I’ve wasted my time. If 20 people do it, that seller has wasted 20 people’s time. 

I hadn’t thought in terms of other people commenting on it, which doesn’t happen here or obviously on eBay. Obviously I see why that’s important, and it would be annoying to have idiots try to convince others that the price is too high. 

Eh I've grown accustomed to having my time wasted and that's just part of the hobby it seems.  If someone is dead set at a ridiculous price then so be it.  Plus it's typically potential buyers who string sellers along and not the other way around.

At least that's what I've encountered in my experiences.

44 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Eh I've grown accustomed to having my time wasted and that's just part of the hobby it seems.  If someone is dead set at a ridiculous price then so be it.  Plus it's typically potential buyers who string sellers along and not the other way around.

At least that's what I've encountered in my experiences.

I’ve never had a seller string me along but I’ve only bought in places where a price was required, so I knew what I was getting into. 

I try to live life by the "3 sides to every story" 
There's my story - how I perceived it happening 
Your story - your perception 
And what really happened. 
(I have 4 siblings so it's common to have different stories of the same event) 

This applies to selling a jersey
What I feel it's worth
What you feel it's worth 
What it's actually worth  

Most know I don't sell a lot of stuff, I've had a few approach me in a PM and make and offer for something they couldn't find / really wanted and they gave an acceptable enough offer.
I always regret it. 

I guess the crux of what I'm saying is, if you want something - make an offer, you never know if your perception of value is aligned until you do. 
Everyone on here has seen the stories of someone asking double the value and accepting less than half, they're just fishing for the top dollar.
I don't blame them, who wants to give away money??   

Yup, that’s exactly right. There are plenty of guys who know the “value” of a jersey and will not accept less, but there’s an equal amount of sellers (not here, but on eBay) that list stuff for sale and just want it gone, and they will accept much less than advertised. 

I’ve twice had $50 offers on $200 jerseys get accepted.