*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I never really understood how you can try to sell something without a price, that’s just how retail works. 

But stories like this make me completely understand. I suppose those who are serious probably already know the approximate value. 

I do have a price, but I tell people to PM me for price.  That alone I feel eliminates some of the tire kickers right off the bat as well as the idiots.

I also forgot to mention the guy who told me it is not worth more than $200 later said it might be worth closer to $800 if it was signed.  So there's that.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, it’s easy enough to just ignore people who lowball also.

Not that I have any ability to ignore people. But I bet some people can. I'm still not sure what compels some to get bent all out of shape over what people price their jerseys at.  I know that we have a thread in here, but those are the most extreme examples and we are largely not trolling the sellers directly.  If the price is too high I move on.Also FWIW, I have found neither method is better than the other in making a sale or getting a better price.  All it does is eliminate the headache.

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I'm still not sure what compels some to get bent all out of shape over what people price their jerseys at.  I know that we have a thread in here, but those are the most extreme examples and we are largely not trolling the sellers directly.  If the price is too high I move on.

I agree with this. There’s so many jerseys I would like but I ignore because the seller has unreasonable expectations. 

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I also forgot to mention the guy who told me it is not worth more than $200 later said it might be worth closer to $800 if it was signed.  So there's that.

I wish my signature added $600 in value to something. Other than if I write a $600 check. 

The problem with not posting the price is that when I ask the seller and the price is way to high for what I expected, the seller always tries to argue with me and is kind of frustrated to see that I made him lost his time...

When the price is posted, I will already know that the price is too high and I won't bother anyone... Win-win for everybody!

1 hour ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

My policy for the longest time now is to scroll right on by listings with no prices/ask for price (or no price/make an offer). As a buyer, i fully expect a seller to be transparent. This helps in feeling that i am not getting lured into any selling tactics. As a buyer, when responding to no price ads in the past, i've been subject to different pricing based on who/what i collect, bait/switched and negotiated against other collectors who may or may not exist who have "shown interest" to name a few.

There are obviously sellers who have much purer intentions that just do not want to subject themselves to the peanut gallery. In this case, facebook allows a seller to turn comments off. I find this can come in very handy when venturing outside the buy/sell groups into the fan based and general groups. 

That's the feeling I have sometimes... Because the seller don't know me, it looks like he expect me to be a fool and try to sell me his jersey at a price way too high...

5 minutes ago, simpsonsimard said:

That's the feeling I have sometimes... Because the seller don't know me, it looks like he expect me to be a fool and try to sell me his jersey at a price way too high...

I can definitely see both sides of the coin. 

The mods should not tolerate any price bashing and should ban those members who do it. Detriments to the hobby. Most of the game worn mods dont care though because, as we discussed, rules scare people away. 🙄

Edited by NYIJM29

How many times have any of us sold something that we regret before we even ship it (slowly looks at mfitz804) either because we feel we could've done better or we had an attachment. 

If a seller is starting a conversation about selling something and people get in a twist because they didn't list a price,... 
Why don't we get in a twist when someone starting a conversation about a jersey they're looking to buy without a price range?? 

In the end, I'm still in it as a hobby, if someone posts a jersey I want without a price - what's so hard about sending a PM and volleying? 
I enjoy talking with other members about their collections and can walk away if we are too far apart.  
No harm no foul 

5 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

How many times have any of us sold something that we regret before we even ship it (slowly looks at mfitz804) either because we feel we could've done better or we had an attachment. 

That’s actually rare for me. I have buyer’s regret much more frequently than seller’s regret. At least early on. 

But I do like to reacquire stuff at times, that’s definitely true. 

20 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Would you buy it back for the price that you sold it? If so, maybe you shouldn't have sold it (or priced that low). If you wouldn't buy it back for that, don't loose too much sleep over the sale price potentially being too low. (That's my line of thinking at least.)

1 hour ago, cjerina said:

Would you buy it back for the price that you sold it? If so, maybe you shouldn't have sold it (or priced that low). If you wouldn't buy it back for that, don't loose too much sleep over the sale price potentially being too low. (That's my line of thinking at least.)

That’s very rational, so it has no place in this hobby.

;)

Regarding regret, I've had far more buyers remorse than seller's regret.  Only twice have I really regretted selling a jersey, but I got back both at a later date.

Meanwhile I have purchased many in the past and think to myself "what the hell did I buy and why at that price?"  The best thing I have done for myself in this hobby is to stop overly fretting over that kind of stuff but I still stop and shake my head once in a while lol.

37 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

"what the hell did I buy and why at that price?" 

I'm considering a legal name change to that exact phrase. 

Par for the course I'm afraid.

I'm also still waiting on about a dozen people to receive their next paycheck so they can pay for a jersey I have.  I guess they are on the once a year compensation plan from their employer.

It's still not as bad as the guy on eBay who ONLY messages me when an item has sold or I've taken it down. Then he comes out of hiding right away with the "is it still available" stuff. It has happened about 10-15 times with all different jerseys. I called him on it the last time, and he said "but this time I really was ready". Of course, that time it was two jerseys I took down to keep. But I decided to sell them again, and re-listed them, and messaged him that I will await his offer or purchase. 

And predictably, I have heard nothing from him, and will hear nothing until I sell them or take them down again. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It's still not as bad as the guy on eBay who ONLY messages me when an item has sold or I've taken it down. Then he comes out of hiding right away with the "is it still available" stuff. It has happened about 10-15 times with all different jerseys. I called him on it the last time, and he said "but this time I really was ready". Of course, that time it was two jerseys I took down to keep. But I decided to sell them again, and re-listed them, and messaged him that I will await his offer or purchase. 

And predictably, I have heard nothing from him, and will hear nothing until I sell them or take them down again. 

If you really want to sell a jersey then pull it down and see if he messages you about it

5 minutes ago, AlereFlammam said:

If you really want to sell a jersey then pull it down and see if he messages you about it

I’m nearly 100% sure he would message me and not actually buy anything. But if they sit a while and I get bored, that’s exactly what I will do. 

Don't you love the messages where people reach out about jerseys you have no interest in selling and ask for lowest price AND in the past, when they have tried buying from you ask for payment plans? 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, NYIJM29 said:

Don't you love the messages where people reach out about jerseys you have no interest in selling and ask for lowest price AND in the past, when they have tried buying from you ask for payment plans? 

Had the opposite happen to me a couple weeks back.  Had a guy offer me more than I was asking for on a jersey I had on sale previously but decided to keep.  Couldn't pass up that offer!

That guy with the numerous jersey posts is heading straight to my Blocked Users-list. No moderation as always....

I found the argument in the authentication thread pretty entertaining lol