*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

14 minutes ago, NYIJM29 said:

2 were overseas, 1 out west, 1 in Canada, and 1  Staten Island.  The Staten Island one isnt surprising

It bears noting at this point, it was NOT me. 

:) 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, perthisthereason said:

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but okay.

It's what both instances had in common.

With that said I think I am personally done even entertaining buyers from anywhere outside of the US with the exception of Canada.  Every single time I have had a potential buyer from places like Europe I typically end up getting jerked around after putting in way too much effort on my end.

Right now I am awaiting payment on a jersey I am selling that was supposed to come on Thursday, May 16th. As of right now, May 19th, I have no payment.  The last message I received was on the evening of the 16th saying they are awaiting payment to clear as he is buying it for a "friend."  The guy first approached me on April 24th saying his friend wants to buy is and between sending pictures of the LOA, all pictures of every morsel of wear, etc this is where I am at now.

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It bears noting at this point, it was NOT me. 

:) 

Haha of course! It was for Isles 💩, not Devils!

1 minute ago, Devilsguy said:

With that said I think I am personally done even entertaining buyers from anywhere outside of the US with the exception of Canada.  Every single time I have had a potential buyer from places like Europe I typically end up getting jerked around after putting in way too much effort on my end.

Right now I am awaiting payment on a jersey I am selling that was supposed to come on Thursday, May 16th. As of right now, May 19th, I have no payment.  The last message I received was on the evening of the 16th saying they are awaiting payment to clear as he is buying it for a "friend."  The guy first approached me on April 24th saying his friend wants to buy is and between sending pictures of the LOA, all pictures of every morsel of wear, etc this is where I am at now.

Honestly, this is happening A LOT in the hobby, regardless of where people are from.   I am also getting a lot of "will you trade" even though I explicitly say no trades in posts. 

I think the new thing that irks me the most are people who agree to deals, then shop around for other jerseys before closing/sending payment for your sale.  

2 minutes ago, NYIJM29 said:

Honestly, this is happening A LOT in the hobby, regardless of where people are from.   I am also getting a lot of "will you trade" even though I explicitly say no trades in posts. 

I think the new thing that irks me the most are people who agree to deals, then shop around for other jerseys before closing/sending payment for your sale.  

Frankly I haven't had this happen from a domestic buyer in quite some time.  At least not with the 20 question game included.  In the 6-7 years I have been collecting gamers I have yet received any payment from any buyer in Europe even though I have had many promise me payment or agree to a deal.

I get the trade requests a bit too.  For some reason that doesn't bother me that much.  However I have never completed an actual trade either as I only collect Devils and every devils I have ever gotten offered were ones I don't want.

The weird thing that has been happening to me this year is that current roster Devils players are very easy to sell but Devils players who have actually won cups with them is lately getting near impossible.  I just don't get it.  People rather pay $795 on a Miles Wood than $500 for a Sergei Brylin.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

With that said I think I am personally done even entertaining buyers from anywhere outside of the US with the exception of Canada.  

I haven’t taken this position yet, but I’m close. 

Most recently, I sold a jersey to a buyer in Germany, and then got the dreaded “WE have a problem, there’s customs charges, why did you put the price on the customs form?”. 

I replied that I don’t have a problem, customs charges are your problem, not mine. Never heard from him again. 

Last I checked, there was an attempted delivery 28 days ago, and then nothing. I assume it’ll come back at some point and I’ll get screwed. But I will still fight it. 

32 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Shipping internationally is a sore subject in the Facebook groups. Some complain that us US-based collectors don't like to ship abroad-- and they're right. It's just too much of a hassle for me and others. I've done one deal for a jersey from outside of NA and that was the German national program. Just not my thing because of cost, potential for duty fees and uncertainty with other postal systems. 

The flip side is, sales are so slow now that I don’t want to automatically eliminate people. 

People have balls though, asking on eBay messages if I can list the price of a $200 item as $40 so they avoid customs. That’s fraud. Doing it on a Facebook sale or another way there’s no real record is one thing, but in eBay, the sale price is well documented. 

Might just want to sell abroad only through the global shipping program. Eliminates all customs/duty hassle because they pay for it up-front. Downside is you may get less international sales because of it. 

You can also ship though the GSP and make exceptions for certain countries like Canada or Australia that you’ll ship direct to. 

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Might just want to sell abroad only through the global shipping program. Eliminates all customs/duty hassle because they pay for it up-front. Downside is you may get less international sales because of it. 

You can also ship though the GSP and make exceptions for certain countries like Canada or Australia that you’ll ship direct to. 

As you’ve intimated, any international buyer who has half a clue what they are doing won’t buy an item through the GSP. Because there are enough unscrupulous sellers out there who will “adjust” the numbers so there’s no customs issue. 

I won’t. 

On 5/19/2019 at 8:22 PM, jsh139 said:

That's exactly why I require the global shipping on ebay.  It is so much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

The Goaltending Museum opening it's vault and trying to sell a Blues Binnington gamer for a little under 10K is a new high (or low) :D

37 minutes ago, DJ Rhea said:

Has anyone visited this museum?

His mom, when she comes to change his sheets.

Man he is getting crushed from all angles on multiple forums about his binnington

12 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

What's laughable to me is he put a jersey up for sale of a player in a current spotlight at such a ridiculously firm asking price that he had to feel the need to explain it all in black and white fully knowing that it will draw ire in the hobby. Oh, and he really doesn't want to sell it. 

It's borderline trolling. 

I guess he’s going for the “there’s a sucker born every minute” thing. 

I know we got a chuckle from his price and the like, but in all seriousness is that price truly that crazy?  This is the debut jersey of the first Blues starting goaltender to reach the finals in almost 50 years.  I don't know the Blues or goalie market well at all, but is it really that crazy?

We also tend to forget the hobby goes beyond just us hardcore collectors.  How many times have we seen team auction items off online on handbid or other platforms and we see a price that makes us go "it sold for THAT much!?!?"  All you really need is a person who has deep pockets who values the memories that particular shirt brings him/her and the price goes through the roof.  Hell there are minor league jerseys that have sold at arena auctions for almost the same price as star NHL player because a couple puck bunnies think he is cute or the player has a cult following.

This also brings up the disturbing trend of people feeling the need to police others and how they sell.  As long as they are presenting the jersey as it is I really don't care what price they put it at.  The guy didn't need to write his novel of an explanation and it was already pretty obvious he didn't want to part with it that easily.  How many times have we seen others get destroyed by one or two people who think something is overpriced when the pricing is still within the reasonable realm?  Don't like the price?  Just move on

Edited by Devilsguy

24 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

This also brings up the disturbing trend of people feeling the need to police others and how they sell.  As long as they are presenting the jersey as it is I really don't care what price they put it at.  The guy didn't need to write his novel of an explanation and it was already pretty obvious he didn't want to part with it that easily.  How many times have we seen others get destroyed by one or two people who think something is overpriced when the pricing is still within the reasonable realm?  Don't like the price?  Just move on

Yup. 100% this. It doesn't matter if he asks for a million dollars, all that means is, he won't sell it. If someone comes along with a million dollars and they want to buy it, let them. 

This is one of the main problems with the internet. People feel not only entitled but compelled to comment on everything someone does online. Mind your business and don't try to mess up another guy's sales by making stupid comments. Especially, where as in this instance, it's already pretty apparent that he's overpriced. 

3 hours ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

I mean his museum is pretty much every backup goalie in NHL History.

As stupid as that post is, I’ve approved about 30 new members on the goalie jersey group because there’s no such thing as bad publicity. 

I was at CSL a couple weeks ago and they were doing heat pressed Blues jerseys for Fanatics.
I didn't know they did that stuff and I didn't know they worked with Fanatics