*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

I'm not sure if the basement is an upgrade over the trailer in the parking lot.  For one, the boiler down here is noisy AF.  It also gets really lonely here at night.  Really.....lonely.....

Yeah but at night you can sneak upstairs and try on all the expensive stuff. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah but at night you can sneak upstairs and try on all the expensive stuff. 

True.....

10 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I think he should as 1) he hates knockoffs and 2) will provide some convo here since let's face it; it's kind of quite around here these days.  Any thoughts on this?

Whilst for the majority of the collectors here TJF probably isn't going to find something we don't already know about or are really interested in, however is he is growing the hobby by getting more people interested in jerseys. Law of averages will likely indicate that as more people gain interest some of those people will, and I use this term loosely and in a non offensive manner, 'graduate' from cheap replicas to sought after authentics and for some into gamers as well.

We can all agree that the market has been pretty flat the last couple of years but this could be the injection needed to see values return to where they were in the longer term. Admittedly I've been quick to point to Reddit as a problem in terms of value as everyone expects a bargain but that is likely a shorter term view I needed to re-assess.

As Devilsguy pointed out more discussion is not a bad thing. There is an encyclopaedic wealth of knowledge amongst members here and if we can share that and create greater interest, fantastic. 

I see he's joined anyway so welcome aboard mate. Now please find me an Adidas Red Wings MiC.......

I always like new members especially if they encourage others to collect! 

My collection value goes up the more people get involved 

Welcome to the board! 
I suppose if you surf the Wanted thread you may find new customers 😀

I guess I should introduce myself too! I'm the mod over on the subreddit, DexterMorgan67. It's also not a secret that I loathe my reddit username and would change it if I could. I also run the Discord - I won't post a link but like Camelot, it's a very silly place. 

Anyway. I got started the way most people do - by buying a fake. About five years ago, I bought a Ladd Jets size 48. r/Jets called me out, then r/hockeyjerseys confirmed...and I felt bad. So I saved my pennies (working a minimum wage job) and got a Kane Jets from FMJ. Then I slowly did the same thing everyone does...and now I'm at ~80 jerseys, transitioning what I can to MiC authentics rather than premiers. 

I adore this hobby. I really do. My wife makes constant fun of me for the amount of things I know about hockey jerseys of all things. I've tried very hard to make the subreddit and discord a welcome place where everyone can learn and like @redwingsdownunder said, help grow the hobby. 

Edited by mxgoldman

I'm not a regular here by any means, I come and go and make the occasional post, but we all arrived here through different paths.  TJF doesn't seem like he's a bad dude and I know the first jersey I bought was a Koho replica Rangers jersey for cheap during the lost season.  So we all find ins to this.  I don't know if I'm a collector, but I have a ton of Ranger jerseys, but I enjoy reading about the signs of how to spot what year a jersey came from by looking at the tagging or the style of the numbers or names on the jerseys.  It's endlessly fascinating to me and if TJF is the same as not so much myself, but the rest of the gang here, then he'll be a valuable contributor.

26 minutes ago, jsd1996475 said:

I'm not a regular here by any means, I come and go and make the occasional post, but we all arrived here through different paths.  TJF doesn't seem like he's a bad dude and I know the first jersey I bought was a Koho replica Rangers jersey for cheap during the lost season.  So we all find ins to this.  I don't know if I'm a collector, but I have a ton of Ranger jerseys, but I enjoy reading about the signs of how to spot what year a jersey came from by looking at the tagging or the style of the numbers or names on the jerseys.  It's endlessly fascinating to me and if TJF is the same as not so much myself, but the rest of the gang here, then he'll be a valuable contributor.

Agreed, it flows both ways. Maybe he's got stuff he can tell us about. I know we've got stuff we can tell him about. That's kind of how a message board works, and excluding anyone interested in the topic (which I know is the way that moderators of Facebook groups get off, but I digress) makes zero sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

I don't have Facebook but obviously that guy's a loser. I think we all know that. 

The guy arguing with Brilliant is too. 

;) 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't have Facebook but obviously that guy's a loser. I think we all know that. 

The guy arguing with Brilliant is too. 

;) 

The guy arguing with Brilliant IS the guy.

He thinks there is investment value in retail authentic jerseys. He should go to the Expo one day to see what has actual value.

45 minutes ago, lhg39 said:

The guy arguing with Brilliant IS the guy.

I understood, I was just poking fun at our guy. He knows I love him.

Boo, I guess I missed it.  Was it the post about a Rangers eBay jersey that was refunded because it was stripped and had residue and stuff on it?

11 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Boo, I guess I missed it.  Was it the post about a Rangers eBay jersey that was refunded because it was stripped and had residue and stuff on it?

Yes. 

I only saw it briefly, but it started out with The Dude warning people, not Brilliant. Although, Brilliant’s name and address were in the screenshots, which I thought was odd. Did the seller later come on FB and defend himself or something?? I’m confused.

8 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I only saw it briefly, but it started out with The Dude warning people, not Brilliant. Although, Brilliant’s name and address were in the screenshots, which I thought was odd. Did the seller later come on FB and defend himself or something?? I’m confused.

I basically defended Mike, got crap from some people but stood by my general impression, and next thing you know the post was gone. It may have been deleted by a moderator for all I know.

15 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Someone posted his private information publicly? That’s gross. There’s no need for stuff like that. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone posted his private information publicly? That’s gross. There’s no need for stuff like that. 

Yes, they did.

i pointed out that was not cool, and they deleted it almost immediately.

About an hour later the entire post was deleted.

Listen I can shoot the sh!t with the best of them, but what’s private, like your personal info and your family (I’ll accept “yo mama” jokes because  they have a long standing comedic history and everyone knows, they aren’t really about anyone’s mama) don’t need to be posted on a public message board or other public forum.

I didn’t read it, but I know Brilliant is a decent guy, so I assume that other a-hole was completely at fault. 

Edited by mfitz804

Pretty sure The Dude (from this forum) was the buyer. He was posting it as a buyer beware and he was also put-off by how the seller responded to him. 

So, you’re saying that Brilliant was the seller? Both of these guys are well-respected in the community and I would assume that they knew each other from interacting on this forum.  

I’m so confused. 

3 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Pretty sure The Dude (from this forum) was the buyer. He was posting it as a buyer beware and he was also put-off by how the seller responded to him. 

So, you’re saying that Brilliant was the seller? Both of these guys are well-respected in the community and I would assume that they knew each other from interacting on this forum.  

I’m so confused. 

Nooo, really? Both are upstanding guys, I find the whole thing hard to believe now.

if there’s any lesson to be learned here, nobody should ever buy a Rangers jersey. 

Wait, there is a dude here called The Dude?

this just keeps getting more bizarre.

So he must know Mike from here and he still decides to flame him on Facebook all because Mike calls him the Pope of  Chilltown in a private message?.

Is it the same The Dude? Possible it’s not our The Dude? Anyone know?

i can’t imagine it’s the same guy. He’s super nice and he’s Canadian to boot, so you know he’s extra polite. 

It was definitely our Dude who made the post. Like I said, I saw it when it was first posted, noticed Brilliant’s info in the back-n-forth, but didn’t go back later to read it. I assumed The Dude was having his jerseys delivered to Brilliant, which is why his info was on there. Because I thought they were friendly with each other from interacting on here. Like I said, I’m confused.