*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

Weird. I can’t see how a transaction between two guys like those guys going sideways like that. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, lhg39 said:

Mike calls him the Pope of  Chilltown in a private message?.

We all know this is a Simpson's joke right?

38 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

We all know this is a Simpson's joke right?

Well if it came from Brilliant, I think we all knew that. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

Patting myself on the back for a good deed. Last night in one of the groups, a collector offered up a bunch of random gamers. I grabbed one for a friend who is not a collector but who is family friends with a player whose gamer was listed. It'll be fun to give my buddy the jersey that I purchased for him.  

You've planted the seed of madness!

Hopefully we develop another lunatic like the rest of us!

Well done :D

So I had a list of several jerseys for sale, and someone asked me if I would trade one of the game issued jerseys. When I said I would, he then offered me several gamers to trade, and when I picked one he replied with "Well that's not a fair trade".....WHY. DIDN'T. YOU.TELL.ME.RIGHT.AWAY.

Anyway, immediately blocked that guy to my massive list of blocked peeps on FB, I don't have time for that crap. 

Edited by amonte78

5 minutes ago, cjerina said:

Post a jersey for sale. Get an offer on said jersey, I tell him that i can do that price plus postage. Get a response of "I might buy the jersey".

How is that a useful response?!?

Geez, what a dork! :D

5 hours ago, cjerina said:

Post a jersey for sale. Get an offer on said jersey, I tell him that i can do that price plus postage. Get a response of "I might buy the jersey".

How is that a useful response?!?

My response would’ve been “Well I might not sell it”. 

1 minute ago, NYIJM29 said:

Lots of window shoppers.  Lots of people who ask for prices who are unable to buy.

I’m not on Facebook and I understand it’s different over there, but in my opinion, if you don’t have a price listed, you’re inviting people to do that. 

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not on Facebook and I understand it’s different over there, but in my opinion, if you don’t have a price listed, you’re inviting people to do that. 

Sadly, a lot of people do it when you post a price. Also, even on ebay there are the "what's your best price" messages and you get offered $150 less "on your lowest price" (on a $250 jersey). 

Edited by NYIJM29

18 minutes ago, NYIJM29 said:

Sadly, a lot of people do it when you post a price. Also, even on ebay there are the "what's your best price" messages and you get offered $150 less "on your lowest price" (on a $250 jersey). 

Oh for sure, there are idiots of all varieties. I still get people who message me with "what's the lowest amount you would take" rather than just submitting a Best Offer. My stock answer is "what's the highest amount you would pay?". 

Believe it or not, I once actually got a deal done that way, because when I messaged that back, the guy shot back a reasonable offer that i had to accept. 

I've read many bad stories about Nick Viris, but the one in the Bad Jersey Trader/Seller group is something else. What a mental case that guy is.

7 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I didn’t read the whole thing, but why on earth would you ship someone 25 jerseys with no up-front payment?!

Uhhh that basically goes against the rules of any place you can sell items online. And against common sense. 

Geez, that mess started four years ago?  Setting aside from the primary stupidity of sending 25 jerseys with no payment, that Viris guy has run tons of auctions in the meantime.  No excuse for not paying, even in installments.  And "You sold me too many, and the market is soft" sounds like a problem that any active seller should have anticipated.  Certainly Nick should have known better.  Unless he just never had any intention of paying in the first place...

So I have long a FB story that I've felt off about it so I'll put it out to you all for thoughts. 

About a month or two ago I spotted a pin head Hawks jersey in a group of jerseys for sale on eBay. 

I made the seller an offer for 4 of his 10 jerseys and they accepted 

In the lot, the pin head, appeared to be more than just a retail jersey when it arrived so I reached out to someone on the Blackhawks game worn FB page for advice. 
The other person asked for additional pictures and I sent them. Within a short time he responded and said he felt strongly it was a game worn with pics for reference.  
I was pretty pumped, we ended up talking on the phone for quite a bit and in conversation I mentioned that a gamer did not fit my collection - would he be interested. 
He told me he had something similar and was trying to sell it for $2k or $3k (I really don't recall the exact number he gave and maybe he was talking about something completely different) He said he would be interested in my lucky find and asked what I'd want for it. 

I know ZERO about the value of game worn pin head Blackhawks jerseys from 1987-88 (Darren Pang) I told him he did the leg work to identify it so if he made me a fair offer, it was his. 
He asked what I paid for the lot and I was open and honest about it. He offered me $350 for the jersey.
Now, I don't know what a game worn pin head goes for but in my experience a retail pin head goes for more than that so I declined. He then said "Well, what do you want for it?" 
Again all I have to go off of is what I know a retail pin head is worth and the number he threw out on the one he was trying to sell. 
I kinda let it go as I felt he was trying to turn my deal / steal into his own deal / steal. 
I've felt bad about it ever since as I did offer it up to sell, he did do some leg work before I offered it, and I didn't come with a price but I feel he based his offer from what I got it for and not what it's worth. 

I'm not saying he should have offered me the "end of the rainbow" price but I feel I could do better on my own. 

That said, I don't want to burn a bridge or play games with fellow collectors. 

Most that have worked a deal with me know I'm only in it to play fair and I've never had negative feedback that I know of.  

Am I one of those FB jerks in this scenario? 🤔

If he tried to completely lowball you (seems like what you’re saying is he did), then no, you had every right to just not respond, even if you initiated the conversation about selling it. 

2 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

So I have long a FB story that I've felt off about it so I'll put it out to you all for thoughts. 

About a month or two ago I spotted a pin head Hawks jersey in a group of jerseys for sale on eBay. 

I made the seller an offer for 4 of his 10 jerseys and they accepted 

In the lot, the pin head, appeared to be more than just a retail jersey when it arrived so I reached out to someone on the Blackhawks game worn FB page for advice. 
The other person asked for additional pictures and I sent them. Within a short time he responded and said he felt strongly it was a game worn with pics for reference.  
I was pretty pumped, we ended up talking on the phone for quite a bit and in conversation I mentioned that a gamer did not fit my collection - would he be interested. 
He told me he had something similar and was trying to sell it for $2k or $3k (I really don't recall the exact number he gave and maybe he was talking about something completely different) He said he would be interested in my lucky find and asked what I'd want for it. 

I know ZERO about the value of game worn pin head Blackhawks jerseys from 1987-88 (Darren Pang) I told him he did the leg work to identify it so if he made me a fair offer, it was his. 
He asked what I paid for the lot and I was open and honest about it. He offered me $350 for the jersey.
Now, I don't know what a game worn pin head goes for but in my experience a retail pin head goes for more than that so I declined. He then said "Well, what do you want for it?" 
Again all I have to go off of is what I know a retail pin head is worth and the number he threw out on the one he was trying to sell. 
I kinda let it go as I felt he was trying to turn my deal / steal into his own deal / steal. 
I've felt bad about it ever since as I did offer it up to sell, he did do some leg work before I offered it, and I didn't come with a price but I feel he based his offer from what I got it for and not what it's worth. 

I'm not saying he should have offered me the "end of the rainbow" price but I feel I could do better on my own. 

That said, I don't want to burn a bridge or play games with fellow collectors. 

Most that have worked a deal with me know I'm only in it to play fair and I've never had negative feedback that I know of.  

Am I one of those FB jerks in this scenario? 🤔

I'm not on the Facebook groups, but, based on your story, you sound completely reasonable.  I wouldn't give it another thought.

I would be honest with the guy and tell him that while you’re not trying to win the lottery on this jersey, you’re also not looking to give it away. Tell him you appreciate the legwork he put into it, and if he wants to give you a price that’s closer to what it’s worth, then great. Otherwise, thanks, no hard feelings, and happy collecting. 

If you can’t sell it outright, you might do well to consign it to one of the GW auction companies. They can come up with a reasonable reserve price, plus they’ll authenticate it for you. You’ll pay 10-15% in fees, but at least you’ll know that you got market value for it.

Thanks guys,

@ jsh139
Not knowing what it's worth is the hard part but I think the consignment through GW might be the best way if I decide to move it. Thank you for that tip!
I'll have to look to see if something similar has sold on there to guage a range as well.

The whole reason for getting it is that I want a pin head as they're kinda hard to come by so for now it may just stay.

51 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I would be honest with the guy and tell him that while you’re not trying to win the lottery on this jersey, you’re also not looking to give it away. Tell him you appreciate the legwork he put into it, and if he wants to give you a price that’s closer to what it’s worth, then great. Otherwise, thanks, no hard feelings, and happy collecting. 

Agreed. There’s some collectors who seem to think that your sale price should be based on what you paid rather than what it's worth. That’s annoying to me. 

I want to clarify, This guy was actually really cool and helpful when we talked
My only hang up was that I felt he was only basing his offer from what I got it for - not a "fair" offer
I could be totally off as I don't know what the value is other than non-gamers.

I was worried that I was the jerk on this one as I threw it out there and yanked the jersey away without giving a price out of ignorance.