*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

21 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that (well with the exception of those living in the UK).  I think some of the nuances of the language get lost among those who live there and I also think some cultural things get in there as well.

So yes they speak English better than those who have it as a first language as they don't use the slang.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

I agree it may be a cultural thing.  Slang doesn't always translate from one culture to another.

Taken in its literal form, the word "grail" means: The object of an extended or difficult quest.  So, in theory, you could have multiple grails.  However, I think that we as Americans take it to be synonymous or as slang for "Grail", which is The cup or platter used according to medieval legend by Christ at the Last Supper and thereafter the object of knightly quests.  The latter definition describes one and only one thing.  But, the former, well, you know what I'm getting at.

This is exactly what I mean.  A large portion of the posters on those groups speak American/NA English and not the high-brow old country English they are taught over there as a second language where elevators are lifts and patches are badges.  I really do think he understands grail as being the former definition and not the second one that is generally understood by most posters.

Edited by enzo269

Not in a game worn jersey group but on a Devils fan group.  It's one I rarely post in but someone was trying to convince other people that if you win a motorcycle worth $30K from the team that all you would have to pay in taxes on it was the winner is the sales tax.

Back to the game worn groups I see the Zubrus finally sold.  The last price he posted was $25 away from me actually putting in an offer for it.

11 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Not in a game worn jersey group but on a Devils fan group.  It's one I rarely post in but someone was trying to convince other people that if you win a motorcycle worth $30K from the team that all you would have to pay in taxes on it was the winner is the sales tax.

Obviously false. Probably greater than 50% of people who "win" a vehicle have to sell it to pay for the tax liabilities, which not everyone can afford to do out of pocket. 

19 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Back to the game worn groups I see the Zubrus finally sold.  The last price he posted was $25 away from me actually putting in an offer for it.

There was a white one on eBay for a while.  I assume that's the one you're talking about?

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Obviously false. Probably greater than 50% of people who "win" a vehicle have to sell it to pay for the tax liabilities, which not everyone can afford to do out of pocket. 

He personally attacked me after I told him that the tax liability is much greater than the sales tax and more in the realm of 25% just for federal (of course it depends on what bracket you fall into but that's more needless typing about something that you already know).  That's why articles about winners on the Price is Right often say that something like 1/3 of the contestants voluntarily decline the prizes such as cars, boats and trips due to the tax liabilities they have to pay upfront for withholdings.

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

There was a white one on eBay for a while.  I assume that's the one you're talking about?

I think they are the same.  Was on FB last at $225 which is what I paid for my Zubrus from Meigray back in 2013-ish.  I later sold it for $200 which is about market value for them these days.

5 minutes ago, furiousd said:

duty_calls.png

I read somewhere that Extreme Home Makeover was a disaster for a lot of the "winners."  All of a sudden they had a one-of-a-kind house that was priced out of the surrounding market, and on top of that they owed taxes on the value of the 6-figure remodel. 

Read that too as well as those going on shows like Bar Rescue where Jon Taffer puts in $100K worth of renovations and suddenly the city tax assessor comes knocking the day after the camera crew leaves lol.

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Read that too as well as those going on shows like Bar Rescue where Jon Taffer puts in $100K worth of renovations and suddenly the city tax assessor comes knocking the day after the camera crew leaves lol.

SHUT IT DOWN!

9 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

SHUT IT DOWN!

33170788822_c6f1df9d22_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

He personally attacked me after I told him that the tax liability is much greater than the sales tax and more in the realm of 25% just for federal (of course it depends on what bracket you fall into but that's more needless typing about something that you already know).  That's why articles about winners on the Price is Right often say that something like 1/3 of the contestants voluntarily decline the prizes such as cars, boats and trips due to the tax liabilities they have to pay upfront for withholdings.

Yeah I'm sure that lady that won the $150k Audi R8 wasn't going to keep it.  I could only imagine the taxes she would have had to pay on that.

tack on another reason why Canada is better then the US.  No taxes on lottery winnings.  Now I just need to win one.

Audi R8?  I'd be going to every OTB and collecting losing horse-racing tickets to try and offset those winnings.  Wait, did I say that out loud?

I hope one day they will do an episode where all the prizes were jerseys.

But I know it won't happen as they care about ratings.

21 minutes ago, Hollywood Cannon said:

When I won the Giroux "Shirt Off Their Back" I expected to have to sign some tax form, surprisingly I did not.

Come at me, Uncle Sam!

Further proof that nobody wants to talk to Flyers fans. :P

57 minutes ago, Hollywood Cannon said:

When I won the Giroux "Shirt Off Their Back" I expected to have to sign some tax form, surprisingly I did not.

Come at me, Uncle Sam!

Might also be that they value the jersey at under $1000. Isn't there a $1000 minimum or something like that?

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Might also be that they value the jersey at under $1000. Isn't there a $1000 minimum or something like that?

I think it's $600. But that may be how they get around it. 

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's still a flyers jersey. Valuing it lower than $600 is not an issue.

14 hours ago, Hollywood Cannon said:

Come at me, Uncle Sam!

Surprised they didn't make you sign one too.  Wonder if it was because it was impromptu and sort of "under the table" sort of giveaway and not something like a sweepstakes.

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It is $600 and up.  I won a prize last year that was worth about $500 and I had to sign the tax forms and on there it is said that anything over $599 for the year I would have a tax liability on.