*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hollywood Cannon said:

At least my Sale reasoning was funny...

Tyson Barrie WWE IIHF Wrestling Champion of the World SALE!

That jersey is still easily better than at least 75% of the crap I see posted there every day.  Probably better than 90%.

14 minutes ago, RedWings1992 said:

If everything else about that game worn group and it's mods drives you insane on a daily basis, now you've got a dude proudly showing off his beer league wound. 

I don't mind it.  It's different.

Another "grail" is now for sale a month or so after it is obtained.

3 hours ago, Hollywood Cannon said:

At least my Sale reasoning was funny...

It's better then someone who is leaving the hobby and provides an explanation why. Who really cares why. You need not explain yourself. The people who will be circling your jerseys like a shark are only interested in the jerseys. I've found some who sell this way really aren't leaving the hobby. They are downsizing and think a story will help. I know of a Red Wings collector with a rather large sale list who went this route. 

Edited by RedWings1992

1 hour ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

Who doesn't love blood on a jersey, and yea that's my blood.

Pansy. The right way to do it is to spill someone else's blood on your jersey!

2 hours ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

Who doesn't love blood on a jersey, and yea that's my blood.

Better send it to MeiGray for authentication! Bet you can sell it to Mr. No Name Grail Collector ;)

Edited by amonte78

17 minutes ago, LetsGoHomeBaby said:

If I say it's an original six beer league jersey, then maybe

Or a draft pick for the Budhawks

2 hours ago, RedWings1992 said:

It's better then someone who is leaving the hobby and provides an explanation why. Who really cares why. You need not explain yourself. The people who will be circling your jerseys like a shark are only interested in the jerseys. I've found some who sell this way really aren't leaving the hobby. They are downsizing and think a story will help. I know of a Red Wings collector with a rather large sale list who went this route. 

While I agree it is nothing really new.  You can go onto the forums over at GW.net and see plenty of those "getting out of the hobby sale" posts.  It's rare that the collector actually does indeed sell most or all of their collection and rides off into the sunset never to be heard from again.  You will also notice a lot of them have limited pricing information as they say they don't want to be screwed over.  My tinfoil hat theory thinks they are not really serious about leaving and will be back eventually.  There are some collectors who have supposedly left the hobby multiple times only to come back.

5 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

While I agree it is nothing really new.  You can go onto the forums over at GW.net and see plenty of those "getting out of the hobby sale" posts.  It's rare that the collector actually does indeed sell most or all of their collection and rides off into the sunset never to be heard from again.  You will also notice a lot of them have limited pricing information as they say they don't want to be screwed over.  My tinfoil hat theory thinks they are not really serious about leaving and will be back eventually.  There are some collectors who have supposedly left the hobby multiple times only to come back.

So now posts are being deleted and people chastised for trolling the troll.

i almost feel like buying the Niskanen jersey that he was wearing when he concussed Crosby just so that I could post it in that group.

2 hours ago, lhg39 said:

So now posts are being deleted and people chastised for trolling the troll.

i almost feel like buying the Niskanen jersey that he was wearing when he concussed Crosby just so that I could post it in that group.

That group is going to self destruct like gameworn.net did. The hobby knows Casey is a head case and has personal issues. Anyone else with a lesser standing in the hobby expertise wise would have been banned some time ago for the same behavior.

You also have to enjoy the amount of people bitching about prices like the Kings and Reign sale and how it's wrong for the hobby. This is a business to these teams, they do not care about it being a hobby. It's amazing how many of people do not understand this. They think the hobby is all about them and it should be priced and run as they see fit. There's more people who buy then those just who post on that facebook group. The thought that they aren't alone in who pays the prices scares them. I know the Wings prices were high at their recent sale, but i still paid because i wanted this season's jerseys. You don't see me on there bitching how it's killing the hobby.

52 minutes ago, RedWings1992 said:

You also have to enjoy the amount of people bitching about prices like the Kings and Reign sale and how it's wrong for the hobby. This is a business to these teams, they do not care about it being a hobby. It's amazing how many of people do not understand this. They think the hobby is all about them and it should be priced and run as they see fit. There's more people who buy then those just who post on that facebook group. The thought that they aren't alone in who pays the prices scares them. I know the Wings prices were high at their recent sale, but i still paid because i wanted this season's jerseys. You don't see me on there bitching how it's killing the hobby.

I have to agree that this is a big concern in a hobby that is rarely talked about.  The problem with the hobby is not the dealers or companies behind it, but the collectors themselves.

I have seen many topics where dealers such as Meigray bashed as well as companies like Steiner and Fanatics are bashed.  They are bashed for their prices constantly.  At the same time, it is a business for them and not a hobby and they would not price them at those prices if they didn't sell.  They have overhead they have to pay for that collectors don't have to worry about.  If people don't like their prices, quite frankly they can just not buy.

You are 100% spot on about the number of collectors.  Let's face it, collecting game worn jerseys is still a pretty niche hobby.  It's not for everyone is what a collector has told me many times and it is very true.  The price and scarcity of the good stuff is what thins the herd out immensely in this hobby and many do not make it to year 2 in collecting.  Even still, collectors have to realize that the hobby exists beyond the Facebook groups and message boards.  I would say between both of those that represents maybe about 5% of the entire game worn hockey jersey universe.  Many times stuff is bought up by fans who overspend to have a nice, expensive souvenir and never to be heard from again.

WE are not the hobby as much as we like to think we are.

7 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Even still, collectors have to realize that the hobby exists beyond the Facebook groups and message boards.  I would say between both of those that represents maybe about 5% of the entire game worn hockey jersey universe.  Many times stuff is bought up by fans who overspend to have a nice, expensive souvenir and never to be heard from again.

100% agree with this.

There is a LARGE "silent majority" out there that are just not as active as the most vocal members of FB and Forums, which still seems to surprise a lot of people. 

21 minutes ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

100% agree with this.

There is a LARGE "silent majority" out there that are just not as active as the most vocal members of FB and Forums, which still seems to surprise a lot of people. 

Yup.  Hell even look at the main game worn FB group.  Has over 5,200 members currently.  Out of those 5,200 I would say less than 500-600 posted and maybe about 200 actively post.  That already is really small % who are active just within that group.

I guess this has to do a little bit with what is being discussed, but what ever happened to the gameworn.net page?  It was very active back when I used to collect gamers.  I them sold my collection and just this last year or two have made my way back to collecting jerseys.  When I went back to that website, it was a ghost town.  Did something go down that caused everyone to leave?  I used to live on that website, much like I do on this one now.