*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "mail day" thing drives me completely insane anytime I see it. I don't know where these people live, but "mail day" for me is any day other than Sundays and holidays.

Oh, and just so you guys know, today was a mail day for me. It was junk mail. I should post a picture of it.

5 minutes ago, JoeM7392 said:

The "mail day" thing drives me completely insane anytime I see it. I don't know where these people live, but "mail day" for me is any day other than Sundays and holidays.

Oh, and just so you guys know, today was a mail day for me. It was junk mail. I should post a picture of it.

These guys rarely ever have a "fe-mail day", if you know what I mean. 

8 minutes ago, JoeM7392 said:

I have been thinking the same thing this entire time. 

8 minutes ago, JoeM7392 said:

90% of all mail day posts are done by the same 5-6 people.

Me: "I have this jersey for sale"

Other guy: "How much"

Me: *gives price*

Other guy: "Thanks and I am interested in it, but I will pass"

Me: Huh?????????????????

That means your price was too high, and the would-be buyer has poor communication skills and did not get that message across to you. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That means your price was too high, and the would-be buyer has poor communication skills and did not get that message across to you. 

I did say or best offer when I gave him the price.  Left that out.

2 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I did say or best offer when I gave him the price.  Left that out.

Then he's either 1) stupid, or 2) looking to pay a price so unreasonably low that he declined to make an offer. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Then he's either 1) stupid, or 2) looking to pay a price so unreasonably low that he declined to make an offer. 

It was an on a really nice replica Koho 2003 cup finals patched Devils jersey customized by EPS.  I didn't think my price was out of line either as it was about $10 more than what I put into it.

He also asked if it had a fight strap after I already mentioned twice it was a replica.  So there's that.

That depends on what you put into it. They seem to sell for about $75-100 on eBay, depending on the player. Knowing you, I can't imagine your price was so high that he couldn't have made an offer. Unless his offer was going to be like $25. 

And at least he didn't call it a "fighting strap", like the players whip off their jerseys and smack each other with the strap. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That depends on what you put into it. They seem to sell for about $75-100 on eBay, depending on the player. Knowing you, I can't imagine your price was so high that he couldn't have made an offer. Unless his offer was going to be like $25. 

And at least he didn't call it a "fighting strap", like the players whip off their jerseys and smack each other with the strap. 

Haha I think I have heard people call it fighting strap.  It reminds me of how my parents go on "the google" to search stuff online.

I paid $50 for the jersey blank (it was NWT when I got it on ebay) and sent it to EPS to have it customized and add the 2003 cup patch.  That cost me with shipping about $80-ish.  I am asking $125.  Actually now that I think about it I am asking slightly less than what I put into it lol.

2 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Haha I think I have heard people call it fighting strap.  It reminds me of how my parents go on "the google" to search stuff online.

I paid $50 for the jersey blank (it was NWT when I got it on ebay) and sent it to EPS to have it customized and add the 2003 cup patch.  That cost me with shipping about $80-ish.  I am asking $125.  Actually now that I think about it I am asking slightly less than what I put into it lol.

$125 is probably a little high, but just that. A little high. Who is on it?

Older Cup patched Devils replicas always seem to sell ok. Certainly could have been taken care of when your price said "or best offer". Or at least, it was worth making an offer. 

In my experience, however, that you NEVER get back what you have into a jersey that you had customized, unless its ultra rare or something. Especially not on a replica. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

$125 is probably a little high, but just that. A little high. Who is on it?

Older Cup patched Devils replicas always seem to sell ok. Certainly could have been taken care of when your price said "or best offer". Or at least, it was worth making an offer. 

In my experience, however, that you NEVER get back what you have into a jersey that you had customized, unless its ultra rare or something. Especially not on a replica. 

I figured I would most likely lose some money, but trying to keep it down.  Replicas are weird as sometimes I do make money on them when I am selling it on one of the general FB fan groups and not a jersey collector group.  Jersey collectors know better lol.

I have Nieuwendyk on it.  I know he didn't play a second of the 2003 finals due to injury, but he did wear a cup patched shirt during the cup celebrations lol.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

I figured I would most likely lose some money, but trying to keep it down.  Replicas are weird as sometimes I do make money on them when I am selling it on one of the general FB fan groups and not a jersey collector group.  Jersey collectors know better lol.

I have Nieuwendyk on it.  I know he didn't play a second of the 2003 finals due to injury, but he did wear a cup patched shirt during the cup celebrations lol.

If that was a Brodeur you would probably sell it for what I said. You'll never get $125 for a Nieuwendyk, most casual fans probably don't even remember he was on the Devils, and if they do, they probably get Nieuwendyk confused with Andreychuk. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It seems like customization is kind of like a house remodel.  Nice to have, but you're not adding to your value dollar-for-dollar.

On 1/4/2017 at 11:12 AM, Devilsguy said:

I posted the TSN article about the NHL winning a judgement to shut down a lot of the websites selling knockoffs in one of the Devils fan groups (not jersey specific).  I also mentioned how I think knockoffs just look lousy in general.  Response I got?  "Why are you being so petty?  It is just jerseys."

Flash forward to yesterday and today and 2 separate threads were started by two individuals in the same group and they were getting all bent out of shape because Dunkin Donuts is selling NY Rangers themed donuts in the NY Metro area including NJ.  That's right, when I talk about knockoffs I get told to STFU, mind my own business and to stop being petty.  However they are getting bent out of shape over the color of donut icing.  That's our fanbase in a nutshell.

Also

"Mail Day!"

15871915_1498684990156512_32089987081222

Ha great read.  Here's an interaction I had on one of the groups in the past month or so.  

I post the jersey I received in the Toledo Grab Bag for trade for something Blue Jackets related and in the sell price I put $1.

"Are you really selling for $1"

No, looking to trade, but PM me an offer if your interested in buying it.

"What's PM?"

(I should have ended it there, but I wanted to see where this would go.)

Private Message 

10 minutes later I get a PM from the guy.

after a couple offers back and forth we come to a price and I ask for him to pay via paypal.

" The last time I did paypal, it screwed me over while I was trying to buy something on ebay but I can definitely do cash if your okay with that "

Sure if you're dumb enough to send cash in the mail I'll take it.

" Sounds good! Its going to take me a couple weeks to collect the money because my job doesnt pay that well so if you can set the jersey aside for me and then Ill message you when your money has been sent to you "

Sorry no holds, but let me know if you have the money and if I still have the jersey we'll work something out.

" Can you like mark it as sold? Because we obviously agreed to $XXX "

Sorry been burned on holds in the past.

" Oh okay. I understand "

" Like I said it will take a couple weeks maybe 3 to get the money collected "

ok

Three days later.

" I think im going to pass on the jersey for now. Its just going to take me a long time to collect the money and send it to you. But if I change my mind, ill let you know ? "

Edited by bluejacket

11 minutes ago, bluejacket said:

Ha great read.  Here's an interaction I had on one of the groups in the past month or so.  

I post the jersey I received in the Toledo Grab Bag for trade for something Blue Jackets related and in the sell price I put $1.

"What's PM?"

Private Message 

after a couple offers back and forth we come to a price and I ask for him to pay via paypal.

" The last time I did paypal, it screwed me over while I was trying to buy something on ebay but I can definitely do cash if your okay with that "

" Sounds good! Its going to take me a couple weeks to collect the money because my job doesnt pay that well so if you can set the jersey aside for me and then Ill message you when your money has been sent to you "

Sorry no holds, but let me know if you have the money and if I still have the jersey we'll work something out.

ok

Three days later.

" I think im going to pass on the jersey for now. Its just going to take me a long time to collect the money and send it to you. But if I change my mind, ill let you know ? "

In fairness to him, I think we've all tried getting online just minutes after suffering a devastating head injury.

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If that was a Brodeur you would probably sell it for what I said. You'll never get $125 for a Nieuwendyk, most casual fans probably don't even remember he was on the Devils, and if they do, they probably get Nieuwendyk confused with Andreychuk. 

I see it slightly differently.  A lot of fans like the big names, but I have seen plenty of fans have a big fetish with getting the more obscure former players or hipster flavors of the week players.

While Nieuwendyk the player is not obscure by any means and he did win his 3rd cup with the Devils and was arguably their top center that year with Gomez (Ha!), he still appeals to this type of people because not many others have it.  I have actually have fans open their wallets more for jerseys like these even if they are replicas.  It might take a little bit, but I don't think I will get less than $100 for it.  Hell I recently got $150 for a Stastny Devils white retro jersey.

41 minutes ago, bluejacket said:

"What's PM?"

Private Message 

ok

Three days later.

Two things from this:

1) This is why I always have my rule where I tell the buyers that I do not consider something sold until full payment has been done.  I tell them that I will not only leave the item available, but I will actively try to sell it and it is up to them to have payment to me in time to claim ownership of it.

2) I always love the "I need to wait until my next or x amount of paychecks to afford it" line.  If you are living on that kind of budget, there is no way you should be buying these.  I guess this is part of the insta-gratification generation.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

I see it slightly differently.  A lot of fans like the big names, but I have seen plenty of fans have a big fetish with getting the more obscure former players or hipster flavors of the week players.

While Nieuwendyk the player is not obscure by any means and he did win his 3rd cup with the Devils and was arguably their top center that year with Gomez (Ha!), he still appeals to this type of people because not many others have it.  I have actually have fans open their wallets more for jerseys like these even if they are replicas.  It might take a little bit, but I don't think I will get less than $100 for it.  Hell I recently got $150 for a Stastny Devils white retro jersey.

Retro jerseys are a different animal altogether.

When you message a seller for over a week about a jersey you're seriously considering buying, you know they have read every message, and still don't reply...

Good times on this interwebz.