*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Interesting, but obviously its not being done for the reasons we all would want it to be done. Fanatics is an interested party, they want people to buy their crappy jerseys for more money. 

IMO, they're just holding the merchandise that Nico is signing to a certain standard. Which is kind of nice for a change. I'm not sure how many people who haven't already bought a jersey of his will buy one just for this event, but i don't think it's anywhere near enough to create a set of rules for a two hour signing where Fanatics thinks they can cash in that big. Considering another company has flooded the market with signed knockoff/custom garbage for years, i am all for it.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

IMO, they're just holding the merchandise that Nico is signing to a certain standard. Which is kind of nice for a change. I'm not sure how many people who haven't already bought a jersey of his will buy one just for this event, but i don't think it's anywhere near enough to create a set of rules for a two hour signing where Fanatics thinks they can cash in that big. Considering another company has flooded the market with signed knockoff/custom garbage for years, i am all for it.

But you're not talking just jerseys, even photos? If you need a licensed photo, or a hat, or whatever, and you want to buy it ahead of time, 99% of the people are going to buy one from NHL.com which, of course, is Fanatics. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But you're not talking just jerseys, even photos? If you need a licensed photo, or a hat, or whatever, and you want to buy it ahead of time, 99% of the people are going to buy one from NHL.com which, of course, is Fanatics. 

Then Fanatics makes out lol. But i don't think it's completely about just trapping you to buy an item of theirs, even though it's convenient of them to do so. I think there's some aspect of them being who they are that they want their client to sign only licensed items, which is understandable. The problem is that so much of the licensed market goes through Fanatics these days, so really there isn't too much that Fanatics won't see the money on either way. They've got you no matter how you look at at. 

1 hour ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Then Fanatics makes out lol. But i don't think it's completely about just trapping you to buy an item of theirs, even though it's convenient of them to do so. I think there's some aspect of them being who they are that they want their client to sign only licensed items, which is understandable. The problem is that so much of the licensed market goes through Fanatics these days, so really there isn't too much that Fanatics won't see the money on either way. They've got you no matter how you look at at. 

Exactly. If Sports Minded or some other store holds a signing and bans fake jerseys, it’s entirely different than if they are working with Fanatics and Fanatics bans them. 

If Fanatics really cared about quality merchandise, their clothing and jerseys wouldn’t be pieces of sh!t. That said, I do like some of their hats. 

I'm sorta glad Fanatics is taking a stand at least with the knockoffs.  I do think the no signing of personal photos taken at games is a little much though.

22 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I'm sorta glad Fanatics is taking a stand at least with the knockoffs.  I do think the no signing of personal photos taken at games is a little much though.

Don't get me wrong, I agree its a good thing. I just doubt its all that altruistic. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree its a good thing. I just doubt its all that altruistic. 

Oh of course not lol.  They are doing it to fight an issue that probably has been hurting their bottom lines.

6 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Oh of course not lol.  They are doing it to fight an issue that probably has been hurting their bottom lines.

All the while they are making replicas that are borderline worse than the fakes lol. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Of course it isn't all about altruism. I just feel part of it is trying to hold what their client signs to a standard where the item has to be licensed. That reflects better on the image of their business when a client isn't signing knockoffs, custom artwork projects and personal photos in public view and/or people showing it off on social media. Plus, if you're paying $59 for an autograph you really should get it on items that are worth paying to get signed.  Outside of jerseys and game worn/used items there's not much really investing $59 into. 

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

7 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Of course it isn't all about altruism. I just feel part of it is trying to hold what their client signs to a standard where the item has to be licensed. That reflects better on the image of their business when a client isn't signing knockoffs, custom artwork projects and personal photos in public view and/or people showing it off on social media. Plus, if you're paying $59 for an autograph you really should get it on an item worth paying for to get signed. 

The flip side of that is, if you’re paying $59 for a guy to sign his name for you, it shouldn’t make any difference what they sign. Fanatics is worried about Nico signing someone’s customized artwork or picture because people might display it on Facebook? That’s a ridiculous concept. Especially since outside of a few people who know Nico is a Fanatics endorsed player (and I didn’t know until this thread), nobody would be able to tell a signed picture had anything at all to do with Fanatics.

The whole idea is for Fanatics to get Fanatics guys to only sign Fanatics products, simple as that. 

25 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Outside of jerseys and game worn/used items there's not much really investing $59 into.

To you. Maybe the experience of meeting Nico and getting him to sign a picture a kid took of him during warmups is the most important thing to them and it’s totally worth $59.

Problem is, you’re looking at it in the position of an adult who is more concerned with resale value than what it should actually be about. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The flip side of that is, if you’re paying $59 for a guy to sign his name for you, it shouldn’t make any difference what they sign. Fanatics is worried about Nico signing someone’s customized artwork or picture because people might display it on Facebook? That’s a ridiculous concept. Especially since outside of a few people who know Nico is a Fanatics endorsed player (and I didn’t know until this thread), nobody would be able to tell a signed picture had anything at all to do with Fanatics.

The whole idea is for Fanatics to get Fanatics guys to only sign Fanatics products, simple as that. 

Our opinions and what is ridiculous or not aside, it all makes enough of a difference to Fanatics and that's what matters most. What he signs, image, presentation of client, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion about why he's doing what with the money you are choosing to pay.

Join Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and see how many photos of any Devils signing gets posted and with tags. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

To you. Maybe the experience of meeting Nico and getting him to sign a picture a kid took of him during warmups is the most important thing to them and it’s totally worth $59.

Problem is, you’re looking at it in the position of an adult who is more concerned with resale value than what it should actually be about. 

I get what you're saying, but you're trying to insinuate what it should be about at the same time that you think parents are going to be lining up to take a kid to a $59 signing like you described. Paying $59 (or more) for an in-person autograph, that's not a novelty any longer. It becomes an investment of sorts. If you go to enough of these events, and pay attention, you understand that there is a noticeable enough difference between $25 events and $59+ ones and who comes out and who gets what signed.

2 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Join Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and see how many photos of any Devils signing gets posted and with tags. 

You couldn't pay me to do that, and I honestly don't care about social media nor whether people post pictures there, of their cats or otherwise. 

2 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

I get what you're saying, but you're trying to insinuate what it should be about at the same time that you think parents are going to be lining up to take a kid to a $59 signing like you described. Paying $59 (or more) for an in-person autograph, that's not a novelty any longer. It becomes an investment of sorts. If you go to enough of these events, and pay attention, you understand that there is a noticeable enough difference between $25 events and $59+ ones and who comes out and who gets what signed.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything. I'm straight up saying it should be an opportunity for fans to have a moment with their favorite player. The fact that it's $59 and not $25 is only relevant because its a Fanatics event, so Fanatics is charging more. That's the whole problem with these things, it becomes more about people looking to make a buck off a signature rather than actual fans getting a really cool experience. Parents SHOULD be able to line up at these things and get their kids a signature. The involvement of Fanatics makes it less about that and more about old people looking to make a buck. 

I wouldn't pay Nico Hischier $59 to sign anything for me, unless its a check for $60+, that'd be ok lol. Now if my daughter wanted to go, meet him, and get whatever signed, I'd gladly pay the $59 for that. And I shouldn't have to give a shi!t less whether he item is Fanatics approved. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You couldn't pay me to do that, and I honestly don't care about social media nor whether people post pictures there, of their cats or otherwise. 

I'm not trying to insinuate anything. I'm straight up saying it should be an opportunity for fans to have a moment with their favorite player. The fact that it's $59 and not $25 is only relevant because its a Fanatics event, so Fanatics is charging more. That's the whole problem with these things, it becomes more about people looking to make a buck off a signature rather than actual fans getting a really cool experience. Parents SHOULD be able to line up at these things and get their kids a signature. The involvement of Fanatics makes it less about that and more about old people looking to make a buck. 

I wouldn't pay Nico Hischier $59 to sign anything for me, unless its a check for $60+, that'd be ok lol. Now if my daughter wanted to go, meet him, and get whatever signed, I'd gladly pay the $59 for that. And I shouldn't have to give a shi!t less whether he item is Fanatics approved. 

Fanatics is on social media. And they care. A lot lol.

You're right. It definitely should be a moment for fans. But, unfortunately, it's a business whether or not Fanatics is involved. There's going to be a healthy turnout at Nico's event even with these rules, so whether it effects anyone much or the bottom line we'll see after. But the good thing is that most events run by the store are on the lower end so you do get the parents and kids and just about everyone in between that come out. It's just when cost goes up 2-3x average, it kind of changes the dynamic a bit of customer and item. 

15 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Fanatics is on social media. And they care. A lot lol.

You're right. It definitely should be a moment for fans. But, unfortunately, it's a business whether or not Fanatics is involved. There's going to be a healthy turnout at Nico's event even with these rules, so whether it effects anyone much or the bottom line we'll see after. But the good thing is that most events run by the store are on the lower end so you do get the parents and kids and just about everyone in between that come out. It's just when cost goes up 2-3x average, it kind of changes the dynamic a bit of customer and item. 

Exactly. And Fanatics is why the cost is up. 

Well waddya know, here's that same guy with all those different jersey posts, doing the same thing again...and that other guy that some time ago REALLY NEEDED all those Sprong and John Scott jerseys now selling......Sprong and John Scott jerseys :(

21 hours ago, NYIJM29 said:

I love the posts "I HAVE 1000s OF JERSEYS TO SELL, PICS, PRICES, AND WHATS AVAILABLE TO COME IN 2019"

And the post which jerseys he is keeping and the post that he already sold a jersey. 

So these "sale post is upcoming" posts can be called Jersey Trailers?

• 2 weeks later...

Fun little story:

I posted a game worn devils jersey in a devils fan group (not a jersey group).  I posted a price of $800 shipped.  I have gotten into the habit over the past few months of not posting prices because people in there tend to freak out over any piece of memorabilia that is over $100.

Anyways like clockwork I got a couple of wonderful comments.  One guy said the jersey is not worth more than $200.  Another guy basically posted "lulz $800 is crazy for that!"  About 12 hours later I sold it to someone in that group for $800.  I posted a screenshot of me receiving the money but of course the posters who knocked my price went silent.

This is an example of why I can understand why some don't want to post prices in their for sale posts.  This has been a topic of debate for some time as this goes on even in the jersey-specific groups.  The answer is not quite cut and dry for either way.

Guest Dr_Puck
14 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Fun little story:

I posted a game worn devils jersey in a devils fan group (not a jersey group).  I posted a price of $800 shipped.  I have gotten into the habit over the past few months of not posting prices because people in there tend to freak out over any piece of memorabilia that is over $100.

Anyways like clockwork I got a couple of wonderful comments.  One guy said the jersey is not worth more than $200.  Another guy basically posted "lulz $800 is crazy for that!"  About 12 hours later I sold it to someone in that group for $800.  I posted a screenshot of me receiving the money but of course the posters who knocked my price went silent.

This is an example of why I can understand why some don't want to post prices in their for sale posts.  This has been a topic of debate for some time as this goes on even in the jersey-specific groups.  The answer is not quite cut and dry for either way.

For serious collectors, I can understand not wanting to post a price at times. The lulz 'look at that stupid high price' comments are seen in the jersey groups, as well as the fan groups. The issue is that there are some who don't post prices in the hopes of starting a bidding war behind PMs. I've been tempted to post a price and close the comments on some of my threads to avoid the clowns. I favor a transparent approach with prices but I understand where you're coming from.   

28 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Fun little story:

I never really understood how you can try to sell something without a price, that’s just how retail works. 

But stories like this make me completely understand. I suppose those who are serious probably already know the approximate value. 

7 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

For serious collectors, I can understand not wanting to post a price at times. The lulz 'look at that stupid high price' comments are seen in the jersey groups, as well as the fan groups. The issue is that there are some who don't post prices in the hopes of starting a bidding war behind PMs. I've been tempted to post a price and close the comments on some of my threads to avoid the clowns. I favor a transparent approach with prices but I understand where you're coming from.   

I think both sides of the debate do have valid points.  I tend to post prices in the jersey specific groups because I usually don't get the "lulz" comments that I do in the fan groups.  I also see what you mean about the behind the scenes bidding wars on it.

I'm still not sure what compels some to get bent all out of shape over what people price their jerseys at.  I know that we have a thread in here, but those are the most extreme examples and we are largely not trolling the sellers directly.  If the price is too high I move on.

Also FWIW, I have found neither method is better than the other in making a sale or getting a better price.  All it does is eliminate the headache.