*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

Who’s “mentor” is barely even into the hobby and is more about flipping/aggressively selling his stuff. 

Who's his mentor?

55 minutes ago, perthisthereason said:

It used to be different.

Was it better?

I don't think I have actually posted in that subreddit, but I have been lurking there for a couple years now.  Very first post I looked at was a guy who posted his entire jersey collection that was about 20-25 jerseys deep.  Half were replicas and half were knockoffs.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:23 PM, Devilsguy said:

Who's his mentor?

Edited by Phil the Thrill

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

Was it better?

I don't think I have actually posted in that subreddit, but I have been lurking there for a couple years now.  Very first post I looked at was a guy who posted his entire jersey collection that was about 20-25 jerseys deep.  Half were replicas and half were knockoffs.

I started following it in '16 when there were only around 3,5k users subscribed, and it was actually possible to see nice and rare jerseys posted frequently, whereas now it's just one $20 grail after another. Which is absolutely fine. Don't get me wrong, if that's all you can afford, go for it. The thing that pisses me off, though, is that the recent influx of new users brought the whole 'Reddit culture' to the place. I don't need this 'oof ouch owie', 'F', and 'this week my dog died, I was diagnosed with cancer, and became homeless, but receiving this jersey brought tears to my eyes' stuff.

Edited by perthisthereason

On 6/17/2019 at 7:54 PM, Phil the Thrill said:

If it wasn’t for him, I’d also have one of those 2018 East MICs on my way. But instead, he needs to publicly announce every steal. 

This x 1000. 

Edited by AlereFlammam

It was brought to my attention that TJF actually highlighted one of my jerseys. He stayed the details incorrectly and by the time I saw it, I had already changed the price, but I’m not sure if that was before or after his post. 

It did nothing and I still got only one bid from an IJ member. 

I'm still blown away by how he is that revered.  I mean all he is doing is using the search feature.  These guys don't know how to use it?  The jerseys he is finding are typically a dime a dozen.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

I'm still blown away by how he is that revered.  I mean all he is doing is using the search feature.  These guys don't know how to use it?  The jerseys he is finding are typically a dime a dozen.

Are you really that surprised?  Look at the millions of YouTube "personalities" that post the dumbest things, but still make thousands of dollars per month because of the number of subscribers that help bring in ad revenue.

This reminds me of that time I used to post all the sweet sweet goodness on ebay in the Deals and Steals thread and everyone hated me for giving away their secret finds...good times :D

2vMRDpSjxZ1VfS.jpg

9 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Don't worry, Slim.  We'll find new reasons to hate you! 🤣🤣🤣

Stuck up, self important author. 

;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I'm back after being away for a couple weeks.  I moved this past Friday as my wife and I decided to upgrade.  For those wondering, I am actually slightly closer now to Meigray than I was before lol.

Also I got into it with TJF a week or so back on twitter.  He then reached out to me privately and we talked for a bit.  After talking to him my opinion has changed a bit to where he is actually a nice guy who seems to be doing it largely as a labor of love.  He actually reads this forum but is a little hesistant to join due to expecting a less than warm welcome from us.  I think he should as 1) he hates knockoffs and 2) will provide some convo here since let's face it; it's kind of quite around here these days.  Any thoughts on this?

48 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Hey I'm back after being away for a couple weeks.  I moved this past Friday as my wife and I decided to upgrade.  For those wondering, I am actually slightly closer now to Meigray than I was before lol.

He now lives in a corner of their basement rather than in a trailer in their parking lot. 

49 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Also I got into it with TJF a week or so back on twitter.  He then reached out to me privately and we talked for a bit.  After talking to him my opinion has changed a bit to where he is actually a nice guy who seems to be doing it largely as a labor of love.  He actually reads this forum but is a little hesistant to join due to expecting a less than warm welcome from us.  I think he should as 1) he hates knockoffs and 2) will provide some convo here since let's face it; it's kind of quite around here these days.  Any thoughts on this?

I think a lot of people are making a big deal about him because he “finds” replica jerseys for people and there is a perceived notion that as such, his activities are stupid. I disagree. Just as I feel there’s a place here for me, who collects authentics and not game worn, there’s a place for a guy who collects replicas. 

I think the other part is, people don’t like when people find a jersey they are after on eBay and then publicize it, because it means more competition for the jersey. But honestly, there’s enough of us that an eBay listing isn’t usually going to fly under the radar. 

Those things being said, more members, especially people who are going to talk and participate rather than just lurk around, makes the site better. I say bring on TJF. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Puck said:

I hope he joins. Although discussions here can go off the rails sometimes, there's a lot to be learned about the hobby from our group. 

Yeah, you have to really stop doing that. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Those things being said, more members, especially people who are going to talk and participate rather than just lurk around, makes the site better. I say bring on TJF. 

Agreed.  I like seeing what other people are interested in, whether it's replica, authentic, or gamer. 

Hi, everyone! Very happy to finally join the forums! I'm always looking for more discussion with fellow collectors. Just wanted to address a few points:

On 6/18/2019 at 7:14 AM, AlereFlammam said:

This x 1000. 

He also gets a cut of the sale if people use his links. That’s why he’s doing it. 

I run the page because I want to help fellow hockey fans get into the hobby of jersey collecting. Whether it's looking for deals, responding to followers, running TJFmysteries, or answering legit checks, it can be a labor of love spending the majority of my day attached to my computer. Per my Reddit post:

"During the Reebok/Adidas changeover, I was blown away with the number of deals on eBay that I found. I started finding Size S deals for myself and Size XL deals for a friend of mine. As I would comb through my searches, I started noticing jerseys that neither of us could go for that sold for absurdly low prices (or didn’t sell and just kept getting re-listed). I realized that there was nobody out there in the community that was posting these jerseys publicly, so I stepped up to the plate and started my account on a whim."

If I was really in it for the money, I'd horde all of the good deals to myself and flip them. The (paltry) revenue that I earn from the affiliate links helps keep the lights on in addition to my actual full-time job (and balancing being a college student on top of all of that).

On 6/17/2019 at 9:07 PM, KB67 said:

True, but like 99.9% of the stuff he posts is just garbage to feed the Thrift Store crowd.....

I'd disagree with that. While it's true that a majority of what I post is low-priced replica jerseys, I also find plenty of on-ice authentic jerseys for solid prices too (just a few from the past month that followers have posted with the TJFMailDay hashtag: Center-Ice Authentic JagrCenter-Ice Authentic Potvin for ~60autographed NWT KOHO On-Ice Authentic Rick Nash for $75).

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Just as I feel there’s a place here for me, who collects authentics and not game worn, there’s a place for a guy who collects replicas. 

:)

For some testimonials, feel free to check out the comments section of my /r/hockeyjerseys post. I'd be happy to answer any more questions you all may have!

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

He now lives in a corner of their basement rather than in a trailer in their parking lot. 

I think a lot of people are making a big deal about him because he “finds” replica jerseys for people and there is a perceived notion that as such, his activities are stupid. I disagree. Just as I feel there’s a place here for me, who collects authentics and not game worn, there’s a place for a guy who collects replicas. 

I think the other part is, people don’t like when people find a jersey they are after on eBay and then publicize it, because it means more competition for the jersey. But honestly, there’s enough of us that an eBay listing isn’t usually going to fly under the radar. 

I'm not sure if the basement is an upgrade over the trailer in the parking lot.  For one, the boiler down here is noisy AF.  It also gets really lonely here at night.  Really.....lonely.....

Also yeah I dun goofed on my hating on him.  Last thing I want to be is something I used to hate a lot in the past and still do.  I used to be big into craft beers before the ultra-hardcore group of beer snobs who don't drink anything unless the name of the beer is preceded by the word Imperial or isn't brewed by Flemish monks in a remote monestary.  I don't want to be "that guy" who thumbs his nose at people collecting stuff that's different than what I collect.  I ain't better than anyone else.

3 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

I hope he joins. Although discussions here can go off the rails sometimes, there's a lot to be learned about the hobby from our group. 

Agreed.  Plus like I said this forum could use a slight injection of life.  I like coming here and seeing good stuff about jerseys unlike FB groups that are now recently been invaded by non-jersey items like cards.

2 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I'm not sure if the basement is an upgrade over the trailer in the parking lot.  For one, the boiler down here is noisy AF.  It also gets really lonely here at night.  Really.....lonely.....

Also yeah I dun goofed on my hating on him.  Last thing I want to be is something I used to hate a lot in the past and still do.  I used to be big into craft beers before the ultra-hardcore group of beer snobs who don't drink anything unless the name of the beer is preceded by the word Imperial or isn't brewed by Flemish monks in a remote monestary.  I don't want to be "that guy" who thumbs his nose at people collecting stuff that's different than what I collect.  I ain't better than anyone else.

Welcome to the boards! 

Sorry I couldn't post earlier.  Moving sucks:(.