Jump to content
Chazberg

*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Some "Wildness" going on in the Authentic group lately. 

You mean a clean authentic Wild Wing is not worth the same as a Wild Wing knockoff?

that cracked me up when I saw it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

You mean a clean authentic Wild Wing is not worth the same as a Wild Wing knockoff?

that cracked me up when I saw it before.

Haha, people can be so delusional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got banned on the hockey jerseys Reddit lol.

All this for calling out a mod who said I was breaking the rules for allowing payments to be made to me as a seller via PayPal F&F.  Meanwhile said mod is selling stuff on Facebook and accepting PayPal F&F.

Yikes lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I got banned on the hockey jerseys Reddit lol.

All this for calling out a mod who said I was breaking the rules for allowing payments to be made to me as a seller via PayPal F&F.  Meanwhile said mod is selling stuff on Facebook and accepting PayPal F&F.

Yikes lol.

That's ridiculous.  I am assuming you would have accepted any payment, so long as the fees were added.  It's not like you were saying "I will only sell if FF."  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NYIJM29 said:

That's ridiculous.  I am assuming you would have accepted any payment, so long as the fees were added.  It's not like you were saying "I will only sell if FF."  

 

In either event, only the buyer should care about that, and if they didn’t like F&F, they could opt not to buy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NYIJM29 said:

That's ridiculous.  I am assuming you would have accepted any payment, so long as the fees were added.  It's not like you were saying "I will only sell if FF."  

 

I put in the listing I accept Venmo or PayPal FF or PayPal GS but with 4% added.

Nope their rule is only PayPal GS.  The mod told me the reason is that on Facebook people can see names but on Reddit they only have usernames.  That makes little sense to me as anybody can make up a name on FB.  Hell there is a guy from the Czech Republic in the game worn groups with 3 profiles and two of them his name is Czech for "hockey jersey."

I only put PayPal GS in my listing on Reddit because of that rule.  Typically I don't even consider it since it shifts the responsibility from 100% buyer to 100% seller.  I've seen and heard too many sellers get burned by remorseful buyers to make GS a regular offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In either event, only the buyer should care about that, and if they didn’t like F&F, they could opt not to buy. 

I agree.  The mods on hockey jerseys Reddit don't see it that way apparently.

Frankly I'm ok with the buyer choosing their option instead of a team of mods determining the parameters of each deal.

Edited by Devilsguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I agree.  The mods on hockey jerseys Reddit don't see it that way apparently.

No evidently not lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also to be clear I also broke the rule of not posting pics.  I thought I attached them but it looks like it didn't.  That's 100% on me.  My post was deleted before I could fix it though so I had to make a brand new one.

Edited by Devilsguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Also to be clear I also broke the rule of not posting pics.  I thought I attached them but it looks like it didn't.  That's 100% on me.  My post was deleted before I could fix it though so I had to make a brand new one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

In either event, only the buyer should care about that, and if they didn’t like F&F, they could opt not to buy. 

For sure 100%.  I recently started using G&S because one of my friends was burned in a pro stock group. My new rule is unless I know the person from a forum or the seller is someone I have bought from before, I will not send F&F.  

People lose sight that jerseys are a hobby and nobody is forcing anyone to  sell / buy.  If a seller doesn't want to sell for less than $x, a buyer shouldn't be upset seller will not accept a reasonable offer of $y.  Further, the buyer should not be upset that the $x price requires a certain payment method.  It could be a cost of doing business for the seller, but since buyers want to spend as little as possible, giving the 2.9%+$0.30 discount is a nice option.  If the buyer would rather spend more money for the protection, they should understand its the seller's right to establish the payment conditions.  If the buyer does not like the seller's condition, don't buy or try to negotiate new terms.  One of the places I eat at near work adds the credit card processing fee to the bill -- the deli made it clear that you can use cash to avoid the fee or incur the expense.  It is my choice to (a) eat there and (b) use credit (or cash).  The same is true for jerseys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I got banned on the hockey jerseys Reddit lol.

All this for calling out a mod who said I was breaking the rules for allowing payments to be made to me as a seller via PayPal F&F.  Meanwhile said mod is selling stuff on Facebook and accepting PayPal F&F.

Yikes lol.

The Jerseys you we’re listing on there were never going to sell through there anyway to be honest. Reddit is a place where the only jerseys that sell anymore are replicas that are super cheap, or you have a cheap authentic you’re selling for way under market value. Other than that, stuff doesn’t sell there. You see the same old For Sale Posts over and over again, and unless you’re taking a loss or basically giving them away, things don’t sell there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NYIJM29 said:

For sure 100%.  I recently started using G&S because one of my friends was burned in a pro stock group. My new rule is unless I know the person from a forum or the seller is someone I have bought from before, I will not send F&F.  

People lose sight that jerseys are a hobby and nobody is forcing anyone to  sell / buy.  If a seller doesn't want to sell for less than $x, a buyer shouldn't be upset seller will not accept a reasonable offer of $y.  Further, the buyer should not be upset that the $x price requires a certain payment method.  It could be a cost of doing business for the seller, but since buyers want to spend as little as possible, giving the 2.9%+$0.30 discount is a nice option.  If the buyer would rather spend more money for the protection, they should understand its the seller's right to establish the payment conditions.  If the buyer does not like the seller's condition, don't buy or try to negotiate new terms.  One of the places I eat at near work adds the credit card processing fee to the bill -- the deli made it clear that you can use cash to avoid the fee or incur the expense.  It is my choice to (a) eat there and (b) use credit (or cash).  The same is true for jerseys. 

I agree.  I think it should be up to the buyer and seller how they want to do the deal.  I get there is shadiness all around, but that's what you get with dealing with people in general.  I think having a forum or the platform decide one method and that's it to be silly.

I actually don't mind the fees part of GS.  I can work around those by charging a little extra.  The part I hate about GS is that it puts 100% of the ball in the buyers court.  That's what also sucks about PayPal in general; with FF the ball is 100% in the sellers court while GS the ball is 100% in the other court.  There is no in between.  I am more comfortable with FF as I know I am not a scammer and the buyer can't hit me with buyers remorse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KB67 said:

The Jerseys you we’re listing on there were never going to sell through there anyway to be honest. Reddit is a place where the only jerseys that sell anymore are replicas that are super cheap, or you have a cheap authentic you’re selling for way under market value. Other than that, stuff doesn’t sell there. You see the same old For Sale Posts over and over again, and unless you’re taking a loss or basically giving them away, things don’t sell there. 

I sold a jersey on there last week.  Via PayPal F&F as well!  The guy literally messaged me yesterday morning thanking me for the smooth transaction and for the jersey.

Yeah that forum is 90% replicas and it's mostly HS and college kids in there.  The one thing that place has though is eyeballs, and lots of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, as a seller it makes total sense. As a buyer, you take the risk. I’d rather add 3% with a seller I don’t know. 

Granted, I’m usually selling $100-200 jerseys, not $900-1000 jerseys. But even still, if you are going to turn down a $1000 sale over a $30 fee, that’s probably not the best business practice. Or at dead least, if you don’t have that kind of flexibility in your price, you priced your item wrong. 

After all, like it or not, PayPal IS providing you a service, and when you accept F&F for a G&S transaction, you’re kind of stealing that service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, as a seller it makes total sense. As a buyer, you take the risk. I’d rather add 3% with a seller I don’t know. 

Granted, I’m usually selling $100-200 jerseys, not $900-1000 jerseys. But even still, if you are going to turn down a $1000 sale over a $30 fee, that’s probably not the best business practice. Or at dead least, if you don’t have that kind of flexibility in your price, you priced your item wrong. 

After all, like it or not, PayPal IS providing you a service, and when you accept F&F for a G&S transaction, you’re kind of stealing that service. 

I'm pretty flexible with my pricing.  However the part that scares the crap out of me is if I sell via GS and complete the transaction for $1K.  Three months later the buyer has buyers remorse and then tells PayPal that they want a refund due to "item not describe."  We all know that PayPal will not ask for a shred of proof and they will automatically side with the buyer so now PayPal will literally take the money out of my account and will not refund me the GS fees (per a recent update to their TOS).  What if I spent that money elsewhere already?  $1K out of my bank account is something I will definitely feel.

I know FF the risk shifts to the buyer, but that's why there are trusted sellers lists and the like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I agree.  I think it should be up to the buyer and seller how they want to do the deal.  I get there is shadiness all around, but that's what you get with dealing with people in general.  I think having a forum or the platform decide one method and that's it to be silly.

I actually don't mind the fees part of GS.  I can work around those by charging a little extra.  The part I hate about GS is that it puts 100% of the ball in the buyers court.  That's what also sucks about PayPal in general; with FF the ball is 100% in the sellers court while GS the ball is 100% in the other court.  There is no in between.  I am more comfortable with FF as I know I am not a scammer and the buyer can't hit me with buyers remorse.

That's also very true about the protection.  I know there was a recent horror story on the GW FB group regarding a guy who tried to return something a month later and opened a PP claim.  The one good thing with G&S is if you do provide a tracking and it shows delivered, the buyer cannot say they didnt receive the item, but I guess there are still other ways to scam.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYIJM29 said:

That's also very true about the protection.  I know there was a recent horror story on the GW FB group regarding a guy who tried to return something a month later and opened a PP claim.  The one good thing with G&S is if you do provide a tracking and it shows delivered, the buyer cannot say they didnt receive the item, but I guess there are still other ways to scam.  

Oh there are and the biggest one is "item not described."  That's such a vague term that it could be used for any reasons including slightly creased LOA folder as we saw a year or so ago.

There pretty much is no in between with PayPal and eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I was t saying there wasn’t a good reason for it. Just that the money isnt the reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh, I was t saying there wasn’t a good reason for it. Just that the money isnt the reason. 

Some buyers are looking to save as much as possible and some sellers want to save as much as possible -- you will be shocked how many times $5-10 makes a difference.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYIJM29 said:

Some buyers are looking to save as much as possible and some sellers want to save as much as possible -- you will be shocked how many times $5-10 makes a difference.   

I wouldn’t be shocked, I’ve seen it happen. I just think it’s stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked, I’ve seen it happen. I just think it’s stupid.

I agree, but I guess the flip side is everyone has a max/min and some people are just stubborn.  

There were times I wouldnt take $10-15 off just because I knew someone (relatively sooner rather than later) would pay more. I also balked at jerseys because I had a max of  $350, but the seller wouldn't go less than $375. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had instances as a seller where we are only $50 on a jersey that's is $500+.  Often times I have the buyer say "you are not going to do a deal over $50?"

My response?  "Yes, are you?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I've had instances as a seller where we are only $50 on a jersey that's is $500+.  Often times I have the buyer say "you are not going to do a deal over $50?"

My response?  "Yes, are you?"

Tell me about it! Dealing with that situation now. Potential buyer offered an off, but not too far off offer, I countered less than in the middle (so in his favor) and he’s still trying to haggle. This is as low as I’m willing to go buddy. Take it or leave it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

I've had instances as a seller where we are only $50 on a jersey that's is $500+.  Often times I have the buyer say "you are not going to do a deal over $50?"

My response?  "Yes, are you?"

12 hours ago, mdwsta4 said:

Tell me about it! Dealing with that situation now. Potential buyer offered an off, but not too far off offer, I countered less than in the middle (so in his favor) and he’s still trying to haggle. This is as low as I’m willing to go buddy. Take it or leave it 

Lmao the same thing has happened to me before.  People need to think before they say things in a negotiation.  When buyers start to justify things, I just get aggravated and lose interest in dealing with someone.  "This sold for auction 2 years ago for $50 less." Ok, cool. Go in your time machine and buy it then.  Like you guys have said, "just take $50 less than your 'best price" -- no, pay $50 more if you want.  

The other thing is when people drop big money on some things and then haggle on something small.  Some guy was breaking my balls over $25 on a $325 gamer, but purchased a $2,000+ gamer the week before.  

Edited by NYIJM29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...