*Dumb Question Alert* Re: Facebook Groups

Chazberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was afraid that was the case

ethan-sykes-201047-unsplash.jpg

Domestic here isn’t good either depending on the route it takes. Had another one take two and a half week that was a 30 minute drive from me. 

I've had something incoming from jolly old England for over a month now. It's been sitting in Manhattan for the last two weeks with no movement. Limey bastids. He's probably a dirty Man United fan too.

I ordered something from Northern New Jersey that shipped last Saturday. It is currently somewhere between Pittsburgh and New Jersey today. Go figure. 

Good news: My package from Europe passed through customs!  Sat there for only about 4-5 days.

Bad News: Ended up in Florida (I am in NJ)

Good news: As of today, it is back in NJ.

Thinking about a purchase from the US. Are there any experiences (positive or negative) from Canadians in these f***y times? Are there relatively inexpensive tracked shipping options? Is insurance worth it? Anyone getting nailed at the border for significant purchases?

If the item is of significant value, insurance is always worth it IMO. Better to protect a couple hundred dollar investment with a couple bucks insurance coverage rather than risk getting nothing on the off chance the package gets lost or damaged. 

I think the cheapest Americans can ship to Canada via USPS International Priority Mail with insurance and tracking is about $35-40 USD as I recall. 

10 minutes ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

I think the cheapest Americans can ship to Canada via USPS International Priority Mail with insurance and tracking is about $35-40 USD as I recall. 

Are their packages shipped without international tracking tracked within the US? Once it's in Canada I'm ok without tracking...but I am a bit nervous about not being able to have an eye on it until it gets to customs. 

Also with insurance, is that pretty much a guarantee Canadian customs will hit you with duty and taxes?

^I just made a big purchase from US and opted for no insurance for that very reason. Figured it gives it away and I’d be dinged. 

One option I've heard though is labelling as “Made In Canada” otherwise you'd be getting taxed on an import that was originally made in Canada, which makes no sense. Or alternatively, listing in the description as “for alterations”

I still don’t fully trust customs tho, I think they’ll still take every penny they can, so I just avoided the situation with opting for no insurance. 

Edited by Phil the Thrill

The answer to your first question is YES -- you see details of all the package's movements while in the US and then the handoff to Canadian Customs. I'd have to go back and check to see what we in the US see once it hits Canadian Customs. but I do recall that we receive notice once it's delivered. 

I know that UPS is historically the worst about incurring Duty and Taxes once it hits Canada. And that USPS/Canada Post is usually the best. 

20 minutes ago, Phil the Thrill said:

^I just made a big purchase from US and opted for no insurance for that very reason. Figured it gives it away and I’d be dinged. 

One option I've heard though is labelling as “Made In Canada” otherwise you'd be getting taxed on an import that was originally made in Canada, which makes no sense. Or alternatively, listing in the description as “for alterations”

I still don’t fully trust customs tho, I think they’ll still take every penny they can, so I just avoided the situation with opting for no insurance. 

Have you received your purchase yet? If so, how long did it take?

Literally just bought it yesterday haha. 

I hope it’s quick though, but I have little faith. It’s going from PA to London Ontario. My fear is if it goes through Mississauga at all, then I’m SOL

Yeah I suppose asking about timeline had no reason to it lol. We should all know there's no predictability. I'm just nervous about the US side of things right now. Haven't heard about anything getting lost so that's a positive I guess.

Honestly just depends on the distribution centre it goes through. 

But yeah, I’m not 100% comfortable shipping from US right now. It was just something in my signature I really wanted, so I’m taking the risk. 

I mean the way I see it, will the opportunity come up again?

If unlikely or could be a long time, I say just go for it. You’ll be kicking yourself for missing out on it. 

In the US, we can ship First Class International Package. Costs about $20 with tracking. No insurance is available though. I think it’s equivalent to Canada Post’s “small packet” service. 

I have a package incoming from Canada that hasn't had a tracking update since 5/3 where the latest update says "item processed."

Should I be worried?

4 hours ago, Phil the Thrill said:

I mean the way I see it, will the opportunity come up again?

If unlikely or could be a long time, I say just go for it. You’ll be kicking yourself for missing out on it. 

That's exactly it. Deal made, trigger pulled lol. 

I had a domestic delivery from Shutterfly that was lost for over a week. I contacted them this morning and got a refund. 

And then it arrived this afternoon.