customization - where to shop?

Hardanger

Hi,

I want to order customized NHL-replica jerseys (Reebok or/and CCM). No heat press but handsewn customization. Have read reviews on Icejereys, coolhockey, sportsk.com and rivercity. What are your experiences and recommendations? I'd like to know where to shop before placing the order. I reside overseas, in Norway.

Edited by Hardanger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, you're going to get shafted on shipping no matter which company you go to because all of the NHL's customizers are on this side of the Atlantic. However, your best option is to go with the company that does each team's on-ice customization. In your case, since you're a Washington Capitals fan, you'll want to go with Exclusive Pro Sports. They do an excellent job (even on teams that they don't do on-ice work for) but they have a pretty long turnaround time. Shipping a jersey to them from here in the US usually means I won't get it back for several months. I don't know how much longer it'd be for shipping from and to Norway.

Here is an almost completely up-to-date listing of each team's customizer.

How important is the customization for you?  Are you looking for 100% on-ice accuracy?  Or, are you ok if it's not exactly the same?  If it's the former, you'll need to buy a blank from someplace like Jersey Baron or IceJerseys and send it off to the official customizer.  If it's the latter, then buy from Jersey Baron and have him send it to his customizer.  It'll be pretty close.

2 hours ago, jsh139 said:

How important is the customization for you?  Are you looking for 100% on-ice accuracy?  Or, are you ok if it's not exactly the same?  If it's the former, you'll need to buy a blank from someplace like Jersey Baron or IceJerseys and send it off to the official customizer.  If it's the latter, then buy from Jersey Baron and have him send it to his customizer.  It'll be pretty close.

Thanks for hinting Jersey Baron, I haven't heard about that store. I assume you have bought there with good experiences? Customization doesn't need to be 100% the same but quality that lasts. I had a look at the Jersey Barons ebay store, seems to be legit. Do you have pictures as example how the customization looks like? Pics of Flyers jerseys are welcome :)

1 hour ago, Hardanger said:

Thanks for hinting Jersey Baron, I haven't heard about that store. I assume you have bought there with good experiences? Customization doesn't need to be 100% the same but quality that lasts. I had a look at the Jersey Barons ebay store, seems to be legit. Do you have pictures as example how the customization looks like? Pics of Flyers jerseys are welcome :)

I fully recommend Jersey Baron.  I bought a Flyers Third from him a few months ago.  Easy to deal with and his stuff is 100% legit.  I had mine customized at the official customizer (because I'm picky) so I can't answer on how accurate his Flyers customization is, but from pictures it looks pretty close.

Official Game Worn:

img11905289.jpg

Jersey Baron:

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, depends on your idea of "close" and "major."  Not following the Flyers closely, the only thing that I knew looking at the JB version was the black border on the numbers wasn't thick enough.  Is that close?  For 99% of sports fans, probably.  For me, especially at retail prices?  No way.  If I'm gonna fork over for a 2.0, it's worth it to me to do the extra work and/or pay a bit more to get it right.

23 hours ago, jsh139 said:

I fully recommend Jersey Baron.  I bought a Flyers Third from him a few months ago.  Easy to deal with and his stuff is 100% legit.  I had mine customized at the official customizer (because I'm picky) so I can't answer on how accurate his Flyers customization is, but from pictures it looks pretty close.

Official Game Worn:

img11905289.jpg

Jersey Baron:

s-l1600.jpg

Gems! Congratulations. Thanks for posting them. I assume these are authentic jerseys since the fight strip is showing through. I have no experiences with authentic jerseys at all, maybe it's time to purchase one. Jersey baron seem to have ok prices for customized authentic jerseys if I'm not completely wrong. Regarding customization, I'm picky as well but I think I can live with the work JB delivers. The major challenge importing items to Norway are the high customs duty fees and VAT. Have to keep value as low as possible.

Anybody can explain me the quality differences between authentic, edge and replicas? I'm layman regarding authentic and edge, I only know that authentic has fight strip.

Edge refers to the template, materials and construction of the NHL's current jerseys. They've been using Reebok Edge jerseys in one form or another since the 2007-08 season.

Authentics are, with very few differences, almost identical to what the players wear on ice. Retail authentics aren't quite the same as team issue authentics (which are built to on-ice specifications), game issues (which are team issues with a player name and number added by a team but not worn on-ice for whatever reason) and game worns, which are self-explanatory.

Don't bother with modern replicas if you're going to buy them at all. Replicas as a whole are not as high quality and made of lesser materials, but modern replicas are far worse than pre-lockout replicas. As you can see by my member title, I am a shameless replica collector (though I do have a fair number of authentics) but I don't bother with the modern Premier replicas because they're crap. Sure, if you go exclusively with pre-lockout replicas, the ability to get them properly customized with a modern player on them is much lower, but I'm ok with that tradeoff because the jersey is better and there were plenty of good players in the league back then.

• 3 weeks later...

When getting an edge 2.0 customized, is the nameplate usually made of the same material as the jersey, or would I need to specify my preference in advance ?

i assume CSL would know what the Hawks are currently using, but I've never done this before so just want to make sure I'm covering my bases.

15 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

When getting an edge 2.0 customized, is the nameplate usually made of the same material as the jersey, or would I need to specify my preference in advance ?

i assume CSL would know what the Hawks are currently using, but I've never done this before so just want to make sure I'm covering my bases.

For most teams, Hawks included, the on ice jerseys do in fact have edge material name plates. However, this does not mean that they will automatically use one on your jersey. Always specify exactly what you want.

I will leave it to the hawks fans to say what CSL does if you don't ask.

Edited by mfitz804

4 minutes ago, furiousd said:

The Hawks use Edge material for nameplates.  Be aware that CSL's default material is Air Knit.  You have to request an Edge plate, and they'll charge you $10 for it.

There are some exceptions to using Edge plates on Edge jerseys, but I don't have a list of teams.

There you go. Number one, always ask here what's the correct material is. Someone will know.   Number two, always ask the customizer for exactly what you want. If you don't, you may not get it. Never hurts to be specific. 

Thanks guys. I remember someone posting about a "jersey foul" or something like that where the name plate wasn't the correct material. Glad I asked! 

Is it a similar situation with lettering? 

2 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Thanks guys. I remember someone posting about a "jersey foul" or something like that where the name plate wasn't the correct material. Glad I asked! 

Is it a similar situation with lettering? 

For the most part, and I'm sure there are exceptions, most teams just use plain twill in the appropriate colors. If there are any teams using glacier twill presently, that'd be an exception. 

If there is a special kind of material that your team uses (again, ask here, someone will know), request it, even if using the official customizer.

If you do your reasearch, and you know exactly what you want, it makes zero sense to make the customizer guess or to assume they will do it the "right" way. 

3 hours ago, furiousd said:

How do you mean?

I mean, as Mfitz stated above, are there lettering differences that if unspecified, a customizer may do what's easiest? I know most of you have probably said this, but I don't plan on making this a hobby, just collect a few jerseys across my favorite Chicago teams. So, I want to do it right and exact, since I might as well get the details right after sinking a few hundred into the sweater.

in that case, I'm looking for an edge name plate with what kind of material for letters? 

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

1 minute ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

I mean, as Mfitz stated above, are there lettering differences that if unspecified, a customizer may do what's easiest? I know most of you have probably said this, but I don't plan on making this a hobby, just collect a few jerseys across my favorite Chicago teams. So, I want to do it right and exact, since I might as well get the details right after sinking a few hundred into the sweater.

Of course we don't plan on it,  then we end up with a closet full of jerseys wondering where they all came from. 

My name is Duncan and I'm a jersey addict

4 minutes ago, AlereFlammam said:

Of course we don't plan on it,  then we end up with a closet full of jerseys wondering where they all came from. 

My name is Duncan and I'm a jersey addict

Well I have a baseball and hockey jersey and I will probably double that number before fall so...

luckily though I'm just going for Chicago jerseys, home and an away or alternate. So I'm not as bad as some of you guys.

although those Mets authentics are really nice looking and as awful as it is to admit, I dig the Blues sweaters too.

crap.

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40