Selling A Gamer, What To Watch Out For?

I'm selling a jersey for the first time. Found a buyer online. How should I go about the transaction? Just use Paypal or post it on Ebay with a BIN for the agreed price or something else? I'm slightly concerned about getting ripped off.

Use PayPal, ship within their guidelines (I.e. Use tracking, ship only to the address associated with the payment, etc.) and you should be fine. Don't ask for "friends and family", pay the fee or you don't get the protection.

Putting it on eBay would be giving away 10%, so I wouldn't do that if you already have a buyer. You already get protection from PayPal the other way. 

I'd also suggest shipping it with signature confirmation and insurance if you are really concerned. And take a pic of the jersey while its packed inside the shipping box before you seal it. Just extra protection. 

8 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I'd also suggest shipping it with signature confirmation and insurance if you are really concerned. And take a pic of the jersey while its packed inside the shipping box before you seal it. Just extra protection. 

Good advice too. 

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Use PayPal, ship within their guidelines (I.e. Use tracking, ship only to the address associated with the payment, etc.) and you should be fine. Don't ask for "friends and family", pay the fee or you don't get the protection.

Putting it on eBay would be giving away 10%, so I wouldn't do that if you already have a buyer. You already get protection from PayPal the other way. 

Good advice, but I think the protection only serves the buyer. If the money is paid "friends and family" then the seller is completely protected and the buyer has no recourse correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Taking pics of what you are sending is a great idea and In my recent experience, pay the extra for a signature required.

It resolves a lot of BS

33 minutes ago, dsl135 said:

Good advice, but I think the protection only serves the buyer. If the money is paid "friends and family" then the seller is completely protected and the buyer has no recourse correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The protection serves both parties, if the buyer claims he never received the item, but you followed PayPal's guidelines and prove it did, there won't be a chargeback.

But you're right, I totally overlooked the fact that if you do use F&F, there is no sale technically, so the buyer would have no recourse against the seller, i.e. the seller is fully "protected" because it's a gift as far as PayPal is concerned. 

4 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Taking pics of what you are sending is a great idea and In my recent experience, pay the extra for a signature required.

It resolves a lot of BS

Yup.  I've been taking pics of my stuff "in the box" for years now.  Haven't had to use one, yet.  But it takes 2 seconds and it's there if the buyer claims I sent them a pair of dirty sneakers or something ;)