Proper number style question

I'm going to be sending my latest order to EPS next week and it's going to be an Original Six trio. Since I've already got customized Blackhawks, Rangers and Red Wings jerseys, I'm sending off some 2000-04 Bruins, Maple Leafs and Canadiens jerseys. Just to be certain, all three of them should be layered, right?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No sir. Leafs layered, Habs Kiss Cut and the Bruins needs to go to CC. Maybe EPS might be able to reproduce sublimated twill with the stitched layer over the top.

Obviously air knit plate Leafs, ultrafiltration for the Habs and then a funny stretchy ultrafil type for the B's even thought the jerseys are air knit.

Edited by QueenAnnesRevenge

They're all replicas, FYI, so the jerseys are all airknit. I send all of my replicas to EPS to save on shipping for jerseys that are never going to be anywhere near on-ice accurate anyway.

I do, however, have a 2005-07 Bruins 6100 that will be going to CC in due time.

Edited by TheKevinShow

OK, just to recap...

Maple Leafs: Layered

Canadiens: Since it's three colors, is it semi-reverse kiss-cut?

Bruins: I'm assuming that the higher cost for the Bruins compared to the Canadiens and Maple Leafs despite being three-color like the Canadiens white and both Maple Leafs is to account for the sublimation. I'm guessing that that's the case since the customization page for the Pooh Bear jersey specifically mentions sublimation. Let me send an email to EPS and see what they say on Monday.

The Bruins ones probably had the vinyl-like layer that was stitched over in the same method the Blues used in that same period. Anything sublimated didn't start until the EDGE garbage showed up.

11 hours ago, furiousd said:

Are the Habs only kiss cut on the sleeves? I think I read that in the past.

11 hours ago, Brilliant! said:

They are now but back then it was all kiss-cut.

I think the red jerseys had 2-layer kiss-cut sleeve numbers and stacked back numbers, but the white jerseys had everything kiss-cut.  Not 100% positive though.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:49 AM, TheKevinShow said:

OK, so to recap again:

Maple Leafs white: layered

Canadiens white: kiss-cut (or is it semi-reverse kiss-cut?)

Bruins: still not sure what to specify

So, I've decided to hold off on the Bruins until I get a more definitive answer. Instead, because its customization cost is $10 less than I originally thought, I'm going to send in my Thrashers Koho alt. So, two layered jerseys and is the Canadiens kiss-cut or semi-reverse kiss-cut?

56 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

So, I've decided to hold off on the Bruins until I get a more definitive answer. Instead, because its customization cost is $10 less than I originally thought, I'm going to send in my Thrashers Koho alt. So, two layered jerseys and is the Canadiens kiss-cut or semi-reverse kiss-cut?

If you are to have EPS do your Bruins jersey, they will do regular kiss-cut twill. Their in-house font is almost identical to the on-ice style from that time period, but it won't have the same production style of the original (i.e., the faux kiss-cut vinyl layer). If you want them to do dye sublimation, it'll cost a lot more - closer to $100 or $110 per item. And from what Josh  and others at EPS told me, doing vinyl or screen-print + twill would cost over $150 per item because of the additional man-hours necessary for that job.

I think Custom Crafted can still do the 2000s style jerseys with the vinyl or dye-sublimated styling, but I'm not sure how much they charge for that now.

18 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I don't know the answer but am curious about the terms:

kiss-cut = white outline on red outline on blue full number? or red outline on white outline on blue full?

semi-reverse kiss-cut = white outline on blue full number on red full number?

habsb.jpg

I've always gone off of what's said here. Someone correct me if they're wrong.

11 minutes ago, AngeloS76 said:

If you are to have EPS do your Bruins jersey, they will do regular kiss-cut twill. Their in-house font is almost identical to the on-ice style from that time period, but it won't have the same production style of the original (i.e., the faux kiss-cut vinyl layer). If you want them to do dye sublimation, it'll cost a lot more - closer to $100 or $110 per item. And from what Josh  and others at EPS told me, doing vinyl or screen-print + twill would cost over $150 per item because of the additional man-hours necessary for that job.

I think Custom Crafted can still do the 2000s style jerseys with the vinyl or dye-sublimated styling, but I'm not sure how much they charge for that now.

Welp... I guess I'll be putting my Bruins customization on the far back burner since the replica will also have to go to CC and I'm not entirely sure if I'm willing to pay via cash/money order right now.

7 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

I've always gone off of what's said here. Someone correct me if they're wrong.

So their example of semi-reverse kiss cut is a white outline on a copper outline on a black full number (which I called kiss cut).  And kiss cut is only shown as two colors.  Anyway, just pointing out that there are more than two ways they could do it.  Forget the name and just describe what the construction should be.

1 hour ago, furiousd said:

I don't know the answer but am curious about the terms:

kiss-cut = white outline on red outline on blue full number? or red outline on white outline on blue full?

semi-reverse kiss-cut = white outline on blue full number on red full number?

habsb.jpg

My understanding is;

kiss-cut - blue on bottom, red outline on top of blue, white outline on top of red.

semi reverse kiss cut - red bottom layer, blue layer on top of red and white outline on top of blue.

Correct. Reverse kiss-cut is like stairs going up or down. Semi kiss-cut goes up two layers and then down one. That's the best way I could describe it.

So, how many different kinds of kiss-cut are there? Is it three: kiss-cut, reverse kiss-cut, semi-reverse kiss-cut?

I've put together a diagram illustrating what was mentioned above.

JUGbjGH.png

What would be white on the jersey is colored green to contrast with the background above. On the left is layered, in the middle is kiss-cut and on the right is semi-reverse kiss-cut. So, if there is such a thing as reverse kiss-cut, what is it? I'm now even more confused because that page I linked earlier indicates that the middle is reverse kiss-cut, not kiss-cut. So, now I'm wondering if kiss-cut and semi-reverse kiss-cut are the only two options.

Ugh...

I would call your middle diagram kiss cut, since both top layers are outlines. The right one is semi kiss cut, since only one layer is an outline. I guess it's possible to swap the order of the red and green in your middle diagram, but I can't think of an example I've seen of that. Then you'd be stitching down three layers on the outer perimeter, which might look funny.

I think the word reverse is throwing people off.  i think some people throw the word in there and some don't but essentially reverse and kiss cut mean the same thing.  The diagram above shows it pretty well.  It's either stacked, kiss cut where there are 2 outlines,  or semi kiss cut where there is only one outline.  If you want the word reverse in there then call them reverse kiss cut and semi reverse kiss cut.  Same shite.

OK, I think that settles the definition. Now to figure out which one I need for the Habs.

I've messaged a couple of members who have previously posted about owning Canadiens GWs/GIs from the same era (though one was a Pro Player, so I'm hoping there wasn't a change between the 99-00 and 00-01 seasons) and also posted a request on the Canadiens GW Facebook group asking for photos of the numbers. Hopefully this gets sorted out and I can get the package off to EPS soon.