Adidas NHL On Ice Jersey

JunkyardAthletic

21 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Can someone please share a closeup of a team repair on an Adidas? The two that I own--- I am just getting on the bandwagon-- have marks but no repairs. I'm curious how they compare to the 2.0s. This material seems a lot more durable. 

The Adidas gamers I have seem to be pretty durable.  My Voracek jersey was worn in 20 games and has a lot of marks and a few burns on it, but no rips that needed to be repaired.  But, then again, some other players' jerseys from that same set needed a ton of repairs.  It's weird.  Maybe I'm just unlucky.  Although, the Flyers jerseys from the past 10 years or so have very little in the way of repairs anyway.  I've heard that their equipment manager basically won't do it.  So jerseys with holes in them are pretty commonplace.

Anyway, here is a pic of my Coyotes gamer from 2017-18.  Two small repairs on the sleeve.  One is stitched, one is not.  Both have that adhesive tape stuff on the inside.

IMG_9346-Edited

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Thanks, my friend. That looks similar to my newly-arrived home Bruins. I really had to give it a look over to see the damage, which suggests that finding a photomatch is going to be a bear. 

Was that pun intended or accidental?

FWIW on Devils gamers, they don't stitch anymore to repair tears.  Instead they use a special heat-activated tape that they apply on the tear from the inside of the jersey.  Not sure of the exact reason, but probably either or some combo of it being cheaper, easier or preference of the equipment manager.

I believe the Islanders use the same method too to repair their jerseys.

As for the nomenclature for the authentic, it is indeed misleading for the corporate higher ups to market these things as the same thing that is worn on-ice.  However other than a massive boycott that will very likely never happen, there is not much else outside of a lawsuit to get them to fix that.  I can imagine if the lawsuit route is taken then the likely most-successful scenario would be to take it to class-action status.

Unfortunately too many people either don't know or even care enough about this stuff.  As long as it's cheap and resembles what the players wear it's good enough for them.

27 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

FWIW on Devils gamers, they don't stitch anymore to repair tears.  Instead they use a special heat-activated tape that they apply on the tear from the inside of the jersey.  Not sure of the exact reason, but probably either or some combo of it being cheaper, easier or preference of the equipment manager.

The Kings use it, too.

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

Mid-coffee, I realized the greatness of my wit as I was typing it. 

It was appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

Is “heat activated tape” basically like an iron on patch like they sell at Michael’s or is it different somehow?

On 6/16/2019 at 6:17 PM, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

A writer a few years back wrote an article calling out Hawks fans for wearing knockoffs, so I'm sure someone would be willing to do it. You'd probably need to provide instances where people actually got duped and were angry about it after buying a retail authentic thinking it was on-ice.

23 hours ago, Van67 said:

A reporter could go into a store and ask staff, who I'm sure have been trained to tell customers it's the same jersey the players wear.

Exactly, some of you guys in the US or canada should send an email to a reporter or newspaper/TV station, whatever..... might even get a re-ward  if they do the story. 

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It was appreciated. 

Is “heat activated tape” basically like an iron on patch like they sell at Michael’s or is it different somehow?

Kind of.  It's applied and then heat pressed against the fabric from the inside of the jersey.

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

I'd really like to see a home Kings up close if anyone had a gamer.

As has been stated, the Kings are doing way more tape repairs than stitching nowadays.  The tape is pretty thick.  This is a sleeve tear repair on my 18/19 Kovalchuk gamer:

From outside:

Sleeve repair ext.

From inside:

Sleeve repair int.

5 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

I have another Adidas coming this week but it's also black (Kings) ... not likely to find a match there either. 

It’s not always easy, but it’s still possible to photomatch black Kings jerseys- I’ve done so by repairs, or stick marks on the white sleeve bands or the silver dazzle fabric, or loose threads or markings on the numbers, etc. 

Edit: Just got an e-mail stating that my recently-purchased Kings gamer from the Fathers’ Day Sale is now on its way.  Like Dr. Puck said, they don’t remove the jerseys from the site right after they’re purchased, so I had no idea at all if the jersey I wanted was even available.  I would have been pissed if they told me it was sold out, especially now that the sale is probably over.

Edited by LAK74

1 hour ago, LAK74 said:

As has been stated, the Kings are doing way more tape repairs than stitching nowadays.  The tape is pretty thick.  This is a sleeve tear repair on my 18/19 Kovalchuk gamer:

From outside:

Sleeve repair ext.

From inside:

Sleeve repair int.

Does anyone know what kind of tape that is or where to buy it? I’ve been looking for a while to try it on my goalie gear and a few other odds and ends. 

7 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

Does anyone know what kind of tape that is or where to buy it? I’ve been looking for a while to try it on my goalie gear and a few other odds and ends. 

I can ask the next time I go in to pick up my jerseys.  That might not be for a couple of years though.

2 hours ago, LAK74 said:

Great pictures, by the way, I am almost smell the contract breaking traitorism. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

It could be worse. He could still be with the Devils now. 

Truth. 

2 hours ago, LAK74 said:

I can ask the next time I go in to pick up my jerseys.  That might not be for a couple of years though.

That’s funny because it’s true. But also sad. 

6 hours ago, tomtucker said:

Exactly, some of you guys in the US or canada should send an email to a reporter or newspaper/TV station, whatever..... might even get a re-ward  if they do the story. 

Reward? From where? 

9 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

As long as it's cheap and resembles what the players wear it's good enough for them. 

And that's precisely why Adidas isn't selling the MICs at retail. Collectors like us who insist on the real deal are a small niche. It's not worthwhile financially for Adidas to manufacture extra jerseys for retail when they know that many of them will sit unsold and most fans will pass them by because of the availability of a less-expensive alternative.

8 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

And that's precisely why Adidas isn't selling the MICs at retail. Collectors like us who insist on the real deal are a small niche. It's not worthwhile financially for Adidas to manufacture extra jerseys for retail when they know that many of them will sit unsold and most fans will pass them by because of the availability of a less-expensive alternative.

Correct. Add to that that our small niche knows where to get them and is willing to pay extra to obtain them from team sources, and there’s your answer. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct. Add to that that our small niche knows where to get them and is willing to pay extra to obtain them from team sources, and there’s your answer. 

Which is where JB would come in handy. Work with Adidas to obtain a large selection, take the retail/marketing work off their hands and be a one-stop shop for collectors. 

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't know.......and pay  even more than JB? No. 

Maybe they are others in my shoes as well

5 hours ago, tomtucker said:

I don't know.......and pay  even more than JB? No. 

Maybe they are others in my shoes as well

Incorrect. From slightly less to slightly more, yes. I have several bought for under $300,  which is around what JB’s full price on Reebok jerseys was before they were discontinued.

I’m excluding game worn of course, that those are more expensive is a given. 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Incorrect. From slightly less to slightly more, yes. I have several bought for under $300,  which is around what JB’s full price on Reebok jerseys was before they were discontinued.

I’m excluding game worn of course, that those are more expensive is a given. 

I see.. thanks... but these are not available for euroscum like  me right?  

i would have liked a caps adidas last year, anyone got one and if so,  how? 👀

Edited by tomtucker

2 hours ago, tomtucker said:

I see.. thanks... but these are not available for euroscum like  me right?  

i would have liked a caps adidas last year, anyone got one and if so,  how? 👀

Not sure if MeiGray ships to Europe. If not, maybe someone would help you out. 

https://www.meigray.com/mobile/itemcatalog.aspx?searchtype=3&search=Washington+capitals

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Not sure if MeiGray ships to Europe. If not, maybe someone would help you out. 

https://www.meigray.com/mobile/itemcatalog.aspx?searchtype=3&search=Washington+capitals

They ship to Australia, so I don't see a reason why they wouldn't ship to Europe.