JunkyardAthletic

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DJ Rhea said:

Looks like Leafs have a St Pats game coming up.

Friday March 15 against the Flyers to be exact

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 8:32 PM, KB67 said:

Seems strange that they would sell a blank for more than their game worn ones.....they just have not really wanted to sell it. If they’re willing to do that next season when the (4) New Jersey’s All come out.....I might bite. 

FYI I emailed the Canucks team store as soon as the unveiling happened today. No MIC blanks left from this past season.... and of course, no plans to sell MIC jerseys for the 4 new jerseys next season. The explanation this time is that Adidas does not want them sold at retail. 

Edited by Van67

5 hours ago, Van67 said:

FYI I emailed the Canucks team store as soon as the unveiling happened today. No MIC blanks left from this past season.... and of course, no plans to sell MIC jerseys for the 4 new jerseys next season. The explanation this time is that Adidas does not want them sold at retail. 

Questionable marketing technique, or a concerted effort to increase the price of/interest in game worn jerseys?

My guess is they realize the margin is much higher on the Offshore junk so you shall buy those. Just awful.  Glad I have my 2.0s.

The Canucks attempt at a throwback to the original blue is a mess.  Couldn't they just do it like the original with the original Stick in Rink and striping.  POS.

Edited by LondonGardens

I still wish someone would  nail adidas for claiming authentic,  and i still think the fight strap is a deliberate attempt to trick the customers . 

And it is!

Is there no consumer watchdog or journalists/reporters that can take a look at this..... they go after other clothing brands all the time. 

why is there a fight strap when it's not the jersey the players wear? would be a easy case and question  for a reporter to ask.

Probably because the term "Authentic" only carries weight in the collectors world. Nowhere in the product description or details does Fanatics claim the jerseys are what players wear on the ice.

And to further water it down, a lot of people confuse "authentic" with licensed.

i think the addition of a "fight strap" certainly capitalizes on consumers ignorance, but Adidas could merely claim that "Authentic" refers to the collection/line of products, and not its accuracy in regards to on-ice products. 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Questionable marketing technique, or a concerted effort to increase the price of/interest in game worn jerseys?

Some game worns are as low as $300 Canadian and I had the team willing to sell me a MIC blank for $500 in the fall, so not sure it's a ploy like that.

For anyone who's tried on both a MIC and Indo garbage, do the sizes compare? (IE 56 MIC = 56 Indo)

2 hours ago, Van67 said:

Some game worns are as low as $300 Canadian and I had the team willing to sell me a MIC blank for $500 in the fall, so not sure it's a ploy like that.

For anyone who's tried on both a MIC and Indo garbage, do the sizes compare? (IE 56 MIC = 56 Indo)

Reasonably close. I think you'd take the same size in both.

4 hours ago, jsh139 said:

The Wells Fargo Center uses the words "On-Ice" all over  the place.  False advertising at its finest.

False Advertising

https://shop.wfcphilly.com/product/Philadelphia_Flyers_Mens_ADIZERO_Home_Orange_Jersey_by_Adidas?1560527648745

Yikes. I stand corrected. I didn't know the venues has their own store websites. 

9 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Yikes. I stand corrected. I didn't know the venues has their own store websites. 

Yeah. It’s basically the site for the team store in the arena. They have sales from time to time. In fact, I think they’re running a 20% off sale now. But, yeah, they're misleading people with that wording!

On 6/14/2019 at 5:46 PM, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Probably because the term "Authentic" only carries weight in the collectors world. Nowhere in the product description or details does Fanatics claim the jerseys are what players wear on the ice.

And to further water it down, a lot of people confuse "authentic" with licensed.

i think the addition of a "fight strap" certainly capitalizes on consumers ignorance, but Adidas could merely claim that "Authentic" refers to the collection/line of products, and not its accuracy in regards to on-ice products. 

Still think journalists would have a good case, they have went after others in the past.... also sunglass manufacturers were targeted.  

9 hours ago, tomtucker said:

Still think journalists would have a good case, they have went after others in the past.... also sunglass manufacturers were targeted.  

A writer a few years back wrote an article calling out Hawks fans for wearing knockoffs, so I'm sure someone would be willing to do it. You'd probably need to provide instances where people actually got duped and were angry about it after buying a retail authentic thinking it was on-ice.

2 hours ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

A writer a few years back wrote an article calling out Hawks fans for wearing knockoffs, so I'm sure someone would be willing to do it. You'd probably need to provide instances where people actually got duped and were angry about it after buying a retail authentic thinking it was on-ice.

A reporter could go into a store and ask staff, who I'm sure have been trained to tell customers it's the same jersey the players wear.

Edited by Van67

2 minutes ago, Van67 said:

A reporter could go into a store and ask staff, who I'm sure have been trained to tell customers it's the same jersey the players wear.

That would only show the store is misrepresenting it, not Adidas. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That would only show the store is misrepresenting it, not Adidas. 

Fair point, but pretty much all of these retailers are owned by Fanatics now. It wouldn't think it would be hard to show the instructions for advertising and customer interaction come from the top. The company I left a few years ago because they bought my company, was Lids (as a store manager, I was nothing but a glorified babysitter for staff rather than actually managing the store), and Lids is now owned by Fanatics. What staff tell customers at these big companies does not come from a manager, and not a district or even regional manager either . It comes from marketing directors who work directly with the vendors. All 1000+ stores get the same instructions. 

When Adidas first took over the NHL, I walked by my old stomping grounds and their signage from Adidas for the NHL's new jerseys definitely advertised what they had as what the players wear on the ice.

37 minutes ago, Van67 said:

Fair point, but pretty much all of these retailers are owned by Fanatics now. It wouldn't think it would be hard to show the instructions for advertising and customer interaction come from the top. The company I left a few years ago because they bought my company, was Lids (as a store manager, I was nothing but a glorified babysitter for staff rather than actually managing the store), and Lids is now owned by Fanatics. What staff tell customers at these big companies does not come from a manager, and not a district or even regional manager either . It comes from marketing directors who work directly with the vendors. All 1000+ stores get the same instructions. 

When Adidas first took over the NHL, I walked by my old stomping grounds and their signage from Adidas for the NHL's new jerseys definitely advertised what they had as what the players wear on the ice.

I’m not saying Adidas didn’t misrepresent them, they clearly did. I think the Adidas website said “on ice” when they first came out. 

AN employee at At a large national chain retailer here said "all the stitched ones that the players wear" were on sale, a couple years ago. What was really on sale was premier blanks. 

8 hours ago, Van67 said:

Lids is now owned by Fanatics. What staff tell customers at these big companies does not come from a manager, and not a district or even regional manager either . It comes from marketing directors who work directly with the vendors. All 1000+ stores get the same instructions.

I overheard a Lids employee telling a customer that the size variations in 5950's was because they are hand made. Like it's a selling point that you have to try on multiple hats in your size to find one that fits.

2 hours ago, furiousd said:

I overheard a Lids employee telling a customer that the size variations in 5950's was because they are hand made. Like it's a selling point that you have to try on multiple hats in your size to find one that fits.

Today, that's a total bull**** excuse. When I started in licensed retail 15 years ago (long before Lids bought our company), MLB Onfield hats were hand made in the US, and sizes were also quite consistent so we never encountered that problem back then. It was when New Era moved their production to China, that we would start seeing hats of the same size fit differently.

With our old company, our New Era rep was honest with us about stuff like that. Get bought by Lids and suddenly we weren't allowed to communicate with manufacturer reps or even our own buyers. Just tow the company line and shut the f*** up. I don't miss that world at all!

Edited by Van67