"Stitched"

LetsGoCaps

So, I have been known to spend some time on ebay looking at various hockey jerseys.  Just FYI, I only have authentics and game worns in my collection.

Somewhere I must have not gotten the memo, but it seems to me that anyone who uses the word "stitched" in a description, and especially a title, is basically saying......"yep, this is a terrible, illegal knockoff, and it is really worth nothing".

Did I miss the memo?  It seems pretty consistent to me.  Am I crazy?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also is used for blank replicas, where the logo is glued on and literally nothing is stitched onto the jersey. 

A sports memorabilia company (and I mean that in the loosest terms) have been auctioning off on various Devils FB groups autographed jerseys that are homemade-knockoffs as "custom stitched."  When I (and others) called them out on that their jerseys are knockoffs and are misrepresenting them, they replied that they are being honest and that's why they are calling them "custom stitched" instead of authentic/replica/etc.

Here are a couple examples of their "custom stitched" jerseys:

36158101066_2bb3b002bf_c.jpg

35807417150_245a4af1e9_c.jpg

35807417140_24f248cec0_z.jpg

35807417090_6ef6d78ba4_z.jpg

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I pooped something out this morning that looked more authentic. 

It is not authentic, it is "custom stitched."

Replace "custom" with "poorly" and there you have it. 

I mean really, jerseys are expensive but they aren't THAT expensive that you need to wear a bootlegged piece of trash. Go on eBay, save the $20 check your grandmother gave you for your birthday, add that to the money you would have spent on a piece of crap, and buy a real jersey. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Replace "custom" with "poorly" and there you have it. 

I mean really, jerseys are expensive but they aren't THAT expensive that you need to wear a bootlegged piece of trash. Go on eBay, save the $20 check your grandmother gave you for your birthday, add that to the money you would have spent on a piece of crap, and buy a real jersey. 

People don't see it that way.  They see how much they are on NHL shop and then decide to end their search there and go the bootleg route.  People seem to be afraid to shop around for jerseys and they don't trust eBay so they go the bootleg route.  Plus with Reebok using heat pressed techniques and printed materials for lettering they see the bootlegs as superior, even if it looks like crap.

The sports company I mentioned recently ended auctions on 3 of these autographed jerseys for Severson, Schneider and Smith-Pelly.  The Schneider sold for $41, Severson for $65 and the Smith Pelly for $15 (plus $10 shipping on all of them).

It's 2017, if you don't "trust eBay", you're a weirdo.

$15? DSP I feel bad for you my man!!

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's 2017, if you don't "trust eBay", you're a weirdo.

$15? DSP I feel bad for you my man!!

They target fans who are just looking for souvenirs and not really for a jersey per se.  Since he is no longer on the team and the DSP looks pretty brutal (the Serverson was the worse of the bunch and it looks terrible), $15 is about what those people are willing to pay.

This same company once auctioned off an 8x10 photo of Daneyko and Stevens pictured together and it was autographed by Daneyko only.  Sold for $140.

25 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Oh man, that Marty jersey was up for ever. I recall the less than pleasant dialogue over that one. 

The one I posted?  It was posted in jersey groups too?

3 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

Pretty sure I recognize that one from the non-gameworn group. 

Wouldn't surprise me that these have been floating around in other groups.  Every signing that company does the player signs entire stacks of these jerseys for them.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/7/20/15994578/blackhawks-fans-its-time-to-ditch-your-knockoff-sweaters-nhl-offseason-2017

This was on the second city blog a few days ago. Calling out 'hawks fans on their fake jerseys. I agree with the writer 100%, as I imagine most here would, but the comments revealed what most of us here already knew: the majority of fans are ignorant or just don't give a ...

Edited by vadarx

14 hours ago, vadarx said:

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/7/20/15994578/blackhawks-fans-its-time-to-ditch-your-knockoff-sweaters-nhl-offseason-2017

This was on the second city blog a few days ago. Calling out 'hawks fans on their fake jerseys. I agree with the writer 100%, as I imagine most here would, but the comments revealed what most of us here already knew: the majority of fans are ignorant or just don't give a ...

Author is fighting a losing battle with the general population of fans.  While I agree that fakes look terrible/awful/stupid, most people look at the price and see that it is stitched instead of the screened crap (Reebok shot themselves in their foot on that one) and go with the knockoffs.  The author also didn't make things easier by mentioning the HRR portion.  While he is correct in that sense, most of the knockoff buyers and fans can't wrap their heads around that and makes the author look like either an elitist snob or a corporate tool.  It would have been better just to leave that out and attack the quality and looks of these things more.

The comments are hilarious.  There are multiple ones where they are saying them and their buddies cannot tell the difference between the real ones and fake ones.  These people are either blind, stupid or just in denial.

Edited by Devilsguy

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

While I agree that fakes look terrible/awful/stupid, most people look at the price and see that it is stitched instead of the screened crap (

Yup.  I'd be willing to bet that most people don't even know the difference in quality between fakes and genuine authentics.  They see stitched tackle-twill and are satisfied.

It's just the way it is.  People that aren't obsessed like we are on here see a jersey for a third of price and go with that because they couldn't care less about authenticity or accuracy or HRR or anything else like that.  All they care about is they got a "deal" and bought a $200-$300 jersey for $50. 

These are the same people that pay $200-$300 per ticket to watch a Leafs game at the ACC. 

10 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Author is fighting a losing battle with the general population of fans.  While I agree that fakes look terrible/awful/stupid, most people look at the price and see that it is stitched instead of the screened crap (Reebok shot themselves in their foot on that one) and go with the knockoffs.  The author also didn't make things easier by mentioning the HRR portion.  While he is correct in that sense, most of the knockoff buyers and fans can't wrap their heads around that and makes the author look like either an elitist snob or a corporate tool.  It would have been better just to leave that out and attack the quality and looks of these things more.

The comments are hilarious.  There are multiple ones where they are saying them and their buddies cannot tell the difference between the real ones and fake ones.  These people are either blind, stupid or just in denial.

Yeah, I know it. I agree, he should have just stayed with the quality/looks angle. I wont lie, it was nice to see someone write something about it, though. 

Lol, I wish I knew how many times I have heard people say that, that they look exactly the same. I said something about to a friend of a friend once when a group of us were out and I had my Seabrook 2.0 on. He commented on how he had 12 jerseys and he got the cheap ones so he could have more and that they looked the same. That his Seabs jersey looked the same as mine.... sooooo, the next time there was a get together I made sure he brought it with and I let him compare them... He never said a peep about them being the same again, he just got defensive and complained about the cost. I just smiled and nodded. Lol.

11 hours ago, vadarx said:

Yeah, I know it. I agree, he should have just stayed with the quality/looks angle. I wont lie, it was nice to see someone write something about it, though. 

Lol, I wish I knew how many times I have heard people say that, that they look exactly the same. I said something about to a friend of a friend once when a group of us were out and I had my Seabrook 2.0 on. He commented on how he had 12 jerseys and he got the cheap ones so he could have more and that they looked the same. That his Seabs jersey looked the same as mine.... sooooo, the next time there was a get together I made sure he brought it with and I let him compare them... He never said a peep about them being the same again, he just got defensive and complained about the cost. I just smiled and nodded. Lol.

To someone who isn't into details, they're the same color, name and number, which makes them the same. 

To crazy jersey people they are not even close.

Edited by mfitz804

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

To someone who isn't into details, they're the same color, name and number, which makes them the same. 

Lol, true enough. I'll go ahead and proudly remain crazy.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:26 AM, mfitz804 said:

I can understand the point of view that most fans consider items that resemble jerseys good enough, I still don't get how these people can say with the same face that they cannot tell the difference. On just about all knockoffs it is as clear as day.  Yeah we have a good or not thread on here to help people with that issue, but seeing a picture of it which can be obscured versus seeing it in person there is no comparison.  I mean even one of the Devils horns on the Andy Greene jersey I posted in this thread is lopsided.  Can people seriously say they cannot see this?

Even a buddy of mine who doesn't collect jerseys can easily point out knockoff jerseys at the arena when we go to games sometimes.  His brother can too and they can spot them from 100 feet away.

Edited by Devilsguy

You can almost smell a fake, at least with the Hawks knockoffs. Those plastic crests have a really weird smell to them and when I was sent a knockoff instead of the authentic I thought I was buying, the jersey made the entire room it was hanging in smell like that plastic crest. Plus the shoulder patches were so creased from bad folding that they wouldn't even flatten when wearing on my shoulders.

i gave it to my brother to use as a layer when he does outdoor contracting work in the fall and winter.

Edited by AParrotLooksAt40

Typically when someone says they can't see the difference - and I show them the difference, they want an authentic.

It helps when we are discussing a Chicago jersey with the chain stitching in the Indian head and the overall construction is noticeably better.

I should be in sales.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 11:27 PM, Devilsguy said:

I think you've nailed it here. If you are selling sub-standard product for top price (or perceived top price) then you can't be surprised if people look elsewhere. Don't even get me started on the "official" merchandise sold through the NHL online shop. They should hang their heads in shame. Most people would trust the NHL to sell them the real deal, and as far as a Premier jersey goes I guess that's right if you're getting a blank but watch out for that customising and why oh why do they not sell Made in Canada Edge? I'd be pretty annoyed if I'd purchased something from them thinking I had the real deal only to compare it to on ice images/video/the guy sitting next to me. So very disappointing and it really feeds the cynic in me.

Having said all that, I guess @TMLFAN is correct too. Most people don't know and probably aren't interested. I've been on a fairly steep learning curve recently re sourcing the "real deal" and if you're not going to take the time to learn what you should look for and what to avoid then you're going to get caught out. 

To the OP, yup, I pretty much skip to the next listing as soon as I see "all stitched". Oh, who am I kidding I have to look. It's like a car crash, and I need all the laughs I can get right now.