Sabres Thread

A season thread for you Sabres fans or haters or whoever.

All I can say is ROUGH START. This reminds me of the pre-lockout Sabres where then got decimated in October and then tried like hell to get the 9th spot in the spring. I hope history doesn't repeat itself. Here is a good article from LGS which I think sums up what's wrong...

http://www.letsgosabres.com/pressbox/fulls...hp?newsid=10448

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McKee would look good in their colors right about now if he wasn't hurt.

I hate to say it but with his injury trackrecord, I am kind of glad we don't have him on the team at the moment. The Sabres certainly turned it around the last few games. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

Good Third Period by the Sabres tonight against the Leafs. Hoping that this is a momentum swinger to get them back to playing like they should be able to even with the losses from this offseason.

Maybe they are on the verge of pulling it together?

I think the approach taken with this team this whole year is wait and see. I don't think fans will have a clear picture on how things are going until about the trade deadline. They certainly have looked good in their wins.

Wasn't one a 7-1 or 7-4 beat up of the Maple Leafs or Hurricanes and Spacek had two goals? I know they had a huge win the other night.

I still think losing Drury and Briere could be good for the team in the long run in a sense that it'll "hopefully" pull the younger guys to lead the team and maybe follow the example that Chris and Daniel had when they were there. I thought they'd be goners after losing Mogilny, and in the late 90s they were a solid contender from 96' on thanks to Peca (and I think they got the McKee pick from that trade too). Everytime I think those guys could be down, they always come back and surprise me and I don't see any reason why this should be different. That's one of the reasons I've always enjoyed the Sabres. The organization seems like it can come back from rock bottom and be strong (heck they did that with the bankruptcy). They've always been a team I like and I think they can really surprise.

They've always been a team I like and I think they can really surprise.

I think they have enough offensive talent and goaltending to really make some noise this year. I just think they did nothing to shore up their D which was suspect last year. I also remember Spacek from his Oilers days and he was really inconsistent but as I said earlier, I am taking a wait and see approach. Hopefully this team can get a good seed in the playoffs (maybe 4-5)! Of course, that is getting ahead of myself :thumbsup:

I think they have enough offensive talent and goaltending to really make some noise this year. I just think they did nothing to shore up their D which was suspect last year. I also remember Spacek from his Oilers days and he was really inconsistent but as I said earlier, I am taking a wait and see approach. Hopefully this team can get a good seed in the playoffs (maybe 4-5)! Of course, that is getting ahead of myself :thumbsup:

They seem like they draft really well. I've heard about Vanek from his Minnesota days and the things that I'm hearing about Stafford, he should make for a very nice player to have around in the near future if not this season. I'm still along the thinking that losing Briere and Drury could be a blessing in disguise for them. I have a weird feeling about it, call it a hunch. Pominville was the guy that really surprised me. I had no idea who he was until the Coyotes played in Buffalo a couple of seasons ago and then I heard about his big game (at least I think that was the one big game I knew he had in the 05-06 season) and I started paying attention to him. Spacek almost seems like he's hit or miss on his good days.

Ouch- last night's third period was brutal. The Sabres have enough O but I don't think their D can be allowed to continue sucking like it has for much longer.

How has Vanek been looking since he signed his new contract?

Hit or miss- of course the fans are already on him because of that huge contract he signed which is a little messed up in my book. I think right now he is putting too much pressure on himself to perform so he isn't.

Hit or miss- of course the fans are already on him because of that huge contract he signed which is a little messed up in my book. I think right now he is putting too much pressure on himself to perform so he isn't.

I agree, yeah its a bigger contract than he probably should be getting at this point in time, but who wouldn't have signed a deal like that if they were in his place? I think the hate there should be focused towards Edmonton.

I agree, yeah its a bigger contract than he probably should be getting at this point in time, but who wouldn't have signed a deal like that if they were in his place? I think the hate there should be focused towards Edmonton.

Well that's the rub that Sabres fans often forget. The Sabres didn't sign him to that K. However, if they let him go, there would have been hell to pay after 23 and 48 left. Not the greatest October but thankfully other EC teams are struggling too and its early. Good to see them sign Pratt though- its about time they brought in more D-man- I have been crying in my split milk for 2 years that they need to beef up the d-line.

Well that's the rub that Sabres fans often forget. The Sabres didn't sign him to that K. However, if they let him go, there would have been hell to pay after 23 and 48 left. Not the greatest October but thankfully other EC teams are struggling too and its early. Good to see them sign Pratt though- its about time they brought in more D-man- I have been crying in my split milk for 2 years that they need to beef up the d-line.

Hopefully he'll pay off for them. I don't remember too much about him from his time in Colorado or Tampa. The most I know of him is he's the guy the Avs traded Sandis Ozolinsh for.

Hopefully he'll pay off for them. I don't remember too much about him from his time in Colorado or Tampa. The most I know of him is he's the guy the Avs traded Sandis Ozolinsh for.

I have to say that I liked Pratt's first game. He had good puck protection and did reasonably well on the physical side of play. Of course, the game itself was pretty terrible to watch. This team is going to be .500 unless they do something to shake things up.

• 1 month later...

I watched the Bruins-Sabres game last night on Vs., a 4-1 loss by the Sabres. The Bruins looked pretty good and it wasn't like there wasn't a lack of effort by the Sabres, 45 shots IIRC. Still looks like they are in need of a big defenseman and maybe another scorer. I like Afinogenov, but I'm kind of wondering if its time for a change of scenery with him. To me, its kind of like he has a problem finishing. The moves and the ability is there, but I've always thought of him with skills kinda like Bure from the first time I saw him play in 2000. I need to watch him some more and maybe some of you all that watch the team more might be able to further elaborate on what you all think.

Just my $.02

I watched the Bruins-Sabres game last night on Vs., a 4-1 loss by the Sabres. The Bruins looked pretty good and it wasn't like there wasn't a lack of effort by the Sabres, 45 shots IIRC. Still looks like they are in need of a big defenseman and maybe another scorer. I like Afinogenov, but I'm kind of wondering if its time for a change of scenery with him. To me, its kind of like he has a problem finishing. The moves and the ability is there, but I've always thought of him with skills kinda like Bure from the first time I saw him play in 2000. I need to watch him some more and maybe some of you all that watch the team more might be able to further elaborate on what you all think.

Just my $.02

The Sabs often have two problems which lead to losses.

1) Lack of effort. They get outhustled like in the St. Louis game.

2) Lack of EFFECTIVE effort. Sure, they might buzz around but take weak shots (and a lot of them) but none hit the net or hit the post.

They have to hustle AND be sharp to win this year.

Everyone is calling for Max's head which I have been doing for the last 2 years. In my book, he is all flash and no finish.

They have to hustle AND be sharp to win this year.

Everyone is calling for Max's head which I have been doing for the last 2 years. In my book, he is all flash and no finish.

I'd like to see them make another move like they did with the Briere trade a few years ago and think they are going to have to pull a deal to be very competitive again this year.

I first saw Max play when he was either a rookie or a 2nd year player and I remember thinking that guy was gonna be pretty dangerous once he puts it all together, and that was in 2000. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person thinking he's not a finisher. He kinda reminds me somewhat of Ladislav Nagy when he was here. You could see the skill, but it was on and off again, plus he didn't have the linemates to finish. He was definitely a playmaker. Max is still young enough they could get a decent return on him.

As much as I love seeing Max on Buffalo, he has always been a player that even announcers have said has the moves and skill of Bure but without the finish. I definitely have to agree. I would love to see him stay in Buffalo and succeed, but maybe a change of scenery is what he needs to finally push him over that last little ledge.

As for the rest of the team, they need to make a move if they are gonna make a strong run in the playoffs this year.

As much as I love seeing Max on Buffalo, he has always been a player that even announcers have said has the moves and skill of Bure but without the finish. I definitely have to agree. I would love to see him stay in Buffalo and succeed, but maybe a change of scenery is what he needs to finally push him over that last little ledge.

As for the rest of the team, they need to make a move if they are gonna make a strong run in the playoffs this year.

I know its a pipe dream, but if one of the big three in Tampa were to become available, they should make a hard push for one. I'm kinda surprised Max is still there in all honesty, I think him and Kalinin are the only two that are still there from the team I saw play in 2000.

I know its a pipe dream, but if one of the big three in Tampa were to become available, they should make a hard push for one. I'm kinda surprised Max is still there in all honesty, I think him and Kalinin are the only two that are still there from the team I saw play in 2000.

A nice thought but unless its LeCav no way would I (as imaginary gm) give up the cap space for any of the other 2. This team needs a leader and a good dman.

The Sabres had a nice win last night but I am not holding my breath for change at this point. It will be interesting to see if the trade trigger is pulled before the deadline.

• 1 month later...

10 in a row. Too bad that is 10 losses in a row now. Could possibly go from President's Trophy to missing the playoffs. Not sure if that has ever happened, but it is just ridiculous. I still support the team in their efforts but this is bad right now. If they get to a shootout it almost seems like a guaranteed loss, Miller has faced 14 shots in the shootout and given up 7 goals. I hope they can turn it around and still make the playoffs, just wondering when it comes to the trade deadline if they are gonna be buyers or sellers, it is too tough to tell at this point.