Griswold CCM. Big block or Small block?

Richter9377

Searched and didn't find any threads about this.

I've tried my damnedest to figure out if the jersey Clark Griswold is wearing in Christmas Vacation is a Big or Small block CCM. I've seen movie stills where the elbow patch stitching is showing so it's definitely a Pro Authentic as I've been a collector that long myself and know the replica's back then didn't have the extra elbow material.

So...has anyone figured out if it's a small or big block CCM? Ultrafil or Airknit?

Would like to make one up, but do it propper. So many cheap copies out there, if I'm going to do it, might as well do it right.

Edited by Richter9377

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure myself, but I salute you for wanting to make a perfect Griswold Blackhawks!

Just by looking at a few stills, it seems to me that the crest on the jersey is that weird all-twill one that doesn’t have any chain-stitching.  If so, I would guess it would have to be a small-block jersey.  And probably ultrafil.  (But I still haven’t seen any pictures of the back to know for sure.)

Movie was released December 1, 1989 meaning it was probably filmed in '88 before big blocks ever came out.  No nameplate.  I'd be more impressed if you make the shoes cousin Eddie wore.  

Thanks for the info guys.

The date of the movie should have been an obvious detail. For some reason I always thought it was early 90's

The style of crest that LAK74 brought up is definitely a detail I was hoping someone with more knowledge would have. 

Good luck! That is a very rare sweater.

There is no chain stitching on the crest. I believe this was before the small block “pinhead” version of the 80’s. 

Think I have seen 2-3 in the past few years. Bob or some of the more experienced Hawks guys might be able to shed more light on this. 

Someone needs to move this over to the “Jersey collecting is a disease” thread. When you need a 100% accurate version of what Chevy Chase playing Clark Griswold wore in a movie...

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone needs to move this over to the “Jersey collecting is a disease” thread. When you need a 100% accurate version of what Chevy Chase playing Clark Griswold wore in a movie...

I get what you're saying but this jersey is more iconic than say; Happy Gilmore's Bruins jersey, or Wayne and Garths Blackhawks jerseys.

So many sh*t versions out there. Now that I know what is likely going into it, it may not be a priority to nail it, especially if I had to outbid a hawks collector into the hundreds just to get a rare shirt to begin with. But I'm not going with anything post 2000 either. 

I saw a clip of this last week and was trying to make out the specifics of the jersey. 

I'd say a movie accurate would need to be white, Ultrafil, pin head with double elbows.  
I don't recall seeing anything to suggest a fight strap or what the CCM on the hem looked like. (heat pressed, patch, small block embroidery) 

All said, to make an accurate one you'd spend a lot - and instead of potentially having a high dollar player jersey coveted by fellow collectors - you'd have a boner jersey that wouldn't hold any value among collectors. 
I can't imagine there are a lot of Christmas vacation collectors that would be so concerned with that level of detail and be willing to pay up for it.   

There were a rash of big block CCM's done in the early 90's when retail authentics boomed 
I have 2 in size 48 Ultrafil that I haven't gotten around to stripping as I have other projects, if that is close enough for you shoot me a PM.   

The movie jersey crest doesn’t look like a pinhead to me.  It looks more like a rare variant crest only used on a couple of gameworns around 88/89 (when the movie was being filmed) which looks like this:

Hawks crest

The above crest looks more like the movie one than the pinhead does:

http://siamtradingpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Clark-Griswold-Vacation-Blackhawks-Jersey.jpg

And I’d agree with HockeyBob; if you found one as rare as this, you wouldn’t want to commit a crime against the hobby and screw it up by making a Griswold jersey out of it.  

1 hour ago, Richter9377 said:

I get what you're saying but this jersey is more iconic than say; Happy Gilmore's Bruins jersey, or Wayne and Garths Blackhawks jerseys.

So many sh*t versions out there. Now that I know what is likely going into it, it may not be a priority to nail it, especially if I had to outbid a hawks collector into the hundreds just to get a rare shirt to begin with. But I'm not going with anything post 2000 either. 

2 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

The movie jersey crest doesn’t look like a pinhead to me.  It looks more like a rare variant crest only used on a couple of gameworns around 88/89 (when the movie was being filmed) which looks like this:

Hawks crest

The above crest looks more like the movie one than the pinhead does:

http://siamtradingpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Clark-Griswold-Vacation-Blackhawks-Jersey.jpg

And I’d agree with HockeyBob; if you found one as rare as this, you wouldn’t want to commit a crime against the hobby and screw it up by making a Griswold jersey out of it.  

You’re all mentally ill. I love it. 

I made myself one of these that I wear every Christmas at the family get together.  Unlike you psycho’s trying to match what was worn in the movie I just bought a cheapie ultrafil replica and used that.

Well that just makes you a horrible person who needs to have all his jerseys confiscated. How dare you not spend all your money and effort on something that's not trivial or meaningless at all!

3 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

I saw a clip of this last week and was trying to make out the specifics of the jersey. 

I'd say a movie accurate would need to be white, Ultrafil, pin head with double elbows.  
I don't recall seeing anything to suggest a fight strap or what the CCM on the hem looked like. (heat pressed, patch, small block embroidery) 

All said, to make an accurate one you'd spend a lot - and instead of potentially having a high dollar player jersey coveted by fellow collectors - you'd have a boner jersey that wouldn't hold any value among collectors. 
I can't imagine there are a lot of Christmas vacation collectors that would be so concerned with that level of detail and be willing to pay up for it.   

There were a rash of big block CCM's done in the early 90's when retail authentics boomed 
I have 2 in size 48 Ultrafil that I haven't gotten around to stripping as I have other projects, if that is close enough for you shoot me a PM.   

48 is no bueno. I'm like a 56 minimum. Which leads me to the second bolded which is this jersey would be all for me. Just to wear at Christmas time. Our family, including extended, is in love with the movie, we quote it constantly. So I'm not worried about collector value, other sweaters in my collection definitely. 

That said, I for sure wouldn't ruin a htf jersey as with what was mentioned. As a collector, I'd be pissed if I saw a Rangers TBTC or White Liberty Authentics that were jacked up with stupid customizations.

Edited by Richter9377

3 hours ago, TMLFAN said:

I made myself one of these that I wear every Christmas at the family get together.  Unlike you psycho’s trying to match what was worn in the movie I just bought a cheapie ultrafil replica and used that.

2 hours ago, Brilliant! said:

Well that just makes you a horrible person who needs to have all his jerseys confiscated. How dare you not spend all your money and effort on something that's not trivial or meaningless at all!

Yeah dude, I didn’t mean you could do it on a replica. That’s just heresy.

Not by me, Sorry if I came off that way. 

Just trying to chime in. 

I can see why you think that though
There is a lot of sarcasm on the board, I wouldn't take offense. 

24 minutes ago, Richter9377 said:

Why do I feel like I'm being mocked here, for wanting a correct/somewhat correct sweater? 

I wouldn’t quite say “mocked”, but you’re talking about minute details of a jersey from a movie. It’s ridiculous enough that we obsess over these details as they pertain to on-ice jerseys, and you’re taking that obsession to another level, which I found amusing.

But as I said above, I also love it. 

Consider also, its a movie, they may have had several jerseys that they used interchangeably. Those people who go over the film looking for movie mistakes could easily have missed differences that are subtle to everyone other than jersey people.